DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

400 ft Spiral Drop : 6 hour Search: Phantomrain Sadness.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
9 lives is not only for cats,

As I started bringing the drone down , the mayhem of a bird strike from behind was an inverted drone spiraling straight down to the ground below.
one of the reasons why flying over people is a huge Risk is the bird strike.

My Mavic 3 has been thru some Artic Storms, insane winds and Pouring Rain , and over 50 landings on the Lake Erie , but its no match for the fury of Natures ruler of the skies.

My first search was in the light, it was not until dark that I was able to spot the harsh sound of a dying drone .
it was a tough sight Seeing his arms and neck broken, but the Wet Suit provided this sense of hope that we just cheated death and will fly again soon.

I was thinking how cool would a Rear facing camera be to Negotiate the birds as this feature is long overdue and yet missing once again.

Despite these thoughts I also thought this drone of all the drones I own has been trouble, and you could say fated for crashing. . many many times

I bought the Mavic 3 Classic as a back up until this one was mended an its been flawless , it has a different feel, as the Classic is a She and not a He .
Its been flawless in the Rain and Floating on the Lake, never out of control and fearless of the birds.

The New Cinematic Control Pods lets her fly like a a dream , and she has the Lunar Purple Wet Suit and Green Master Props .

My Mavic 3 was fearless and destined for greatness as I have put it thru more adventures than most and yet Fragile now
and cautious not as fearless as the Mavic 3 Classic as it has no fears yet.

I recently purchased the Mavic 3 Pro ,
The Mavic 3 Pro will have a lot to prove , and I wonder what the vibe will be : I feel like this will be a Rugged Military like drone very mission orientated and made more capable with the Rain and Rescue Gear.

Sorry for your loss of a long time buddy. Glad you have a back-up for the interim down time. That wet suit is sure resilient.

Wierd that it said the battery disconnected since obviously it still had power. And, wow, considering how hard it probably hit surprised it was not more damaged, but I think the wetsuit helped for sure. And from what I see it was only about a foot from what seemed to be pavement. Lucky there....that would have probably totally destroyed it.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Since we are supposed to be flying while keeping our drones in sight, that rear facing camera would not be needed, since you can see a bird approaching, if you were watching your drone. Plus, it is very difficult to spot a bird in the air through a camera, even when you are looking for a bird.

What might be even better is a set of sensors that when they detect something rapidly approaching, it sends an automatic signal to climb 50 ft in sports mode. That would be far more useful that a rear facing camera.

Reactions: lorpal and Coskier
If you flying 2000 ft out as I do with most storm fronts you can see birds from the Front of the drone all day long, but you cannot see what is coming from behind the drone Regardless of the VLOS

Thus that back camera would warn me nicely of not only birds in the sky but trees as well for those that adventure at lower levels.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

If you flying 2000 ft out as I do with most storm fronts you can see birds from the Front of the drone all day long, but you cannot see what is coming from behind the drone Regardless of the VLOS

Thus that back camera would warn me nicely of not only birds in the sky but trees as well for those that adventure at lower levels.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
You can fly backwards, too! I've inadvertently captured amazing close ups of a sea gull chasing the drone, while flying backwards at the beach. Their mating instincts seem to imprint on drones, too!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne