DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

48 MP photos in RAW?

REBELimgs

Reactions
I have my photos set to JPG + RAW but when I shoot a 48 MP photo, it only saves the JPG. Is there a way to get a 48 MP RAW file as well?

Last edited:
I have my photos sent to JPG + RAW but when I shoot a 48 MP photo, it only saves the JPG. Is there a way to get a 48 MP RAW file as well?
Either you don't have the drone set to jpg + raw or you aren't seeing the raw.
Look again to see what files are on the SD card.
You are looking for .dng files

Either you don't have the drone set to jpg + raw or you aren't seeing the raw.
Look again to see what files are on the SD card.
You are looking for .dng files

I can assure you, it's set to JPG + RAW because when I take photos using the "normal" method, I get JPG and DNG files. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I have missed something.

Last edited:
I can assure you, it's set to JPG + RAW because when I take photos using the "normal" method, I get JPG and DNG files. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I have missed something.
If you get dng files at 12MP resolution but not at 48MP, then it's not available in 48PM.
As the 48MP stills are just an interpolation of the 12MP original, the 12MP dng is the only raw

Last edited:

DNG is the raw file (digital negative). took me a second to realize that since i'm used to seeing the Canon CR2 file extension

if you look at the files size, the jpg tends to be 4-6mb, and the dng tends to be 20mb

That is odd, because with the MA2, you are supposed to be able to take 48MP RAW, as long as you've set the Camera options to do that. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

It’s not possible mathematically, however DJI’s software is what is giving you the detail. I’m sure they are adding sharpening filters and other algorithms. Basically what I mean is if it was printed or cropped to 400% the only difference will be w.e software can provide because the RAW data doesn’t exist. Data wise there is only 12mp there. Either way the images look great.

There are 48 actual megapixels but they are smaller. If there weren’t, there would be no RAW file. If there is enough light, there is a clear difference in the level of detail.

8764623582b363dc011088839e3d066b.jpg

Reactions: 4score
It’s not possible mathematically, however DJI’s software is what is giving you the detail. I’m sure they are adding sharpening filters and other algorithms. Basically what I mean is if it was printed or cropped to 400% the only difference will be w.e software can provide because the RAW data doesn’t exist. Data wise there is only 12mp there. Either way the images look great.

I'm sorry, but you have misunderstood how a quad Bayer sensor works. It has enough the same number of photosites as a regular 48 MP Bayer sensor - it's just the arrangement of the filters that makes it different. So spatially it has a full 48 MP, and that's apparent in the fine detail, but it has to do more interpolation to resolve the colors properly across all the pixels. Or it can be operated in 12 MP mode by direct addition, or in a hybrid HDR 12 MP mode where the 4 photosites within a color block run with different integration times.

quad_bayer_sensor.png

I can confirm if you set to raw or raw+jpeg in 48mp mode you get raw or raw+jpeg files saved. You all can argue on the merits all day long. The sensor is not a 48mp Bayer sensor so it does not use 4 individual photosites to produce 1 pixel data. But as charts above say it does produce 48mp of data from 48mp of photosites. On a bright day 48mp is better in detail than 12mp but less in dynamic range and more in noise and lower in exposure (weird). I will never use 48mp in the dark.

When you are in 48mp mode you are not increasing the size of the sensor you are catching the same amount of photons. If it was true 48mp with 48mp worth of raw data then why would you shoot in 12 ever and therefore 12mp mode wouldn’t even exist it’s illogical. Idk man agree to disagree at this point.

You can't just "disagree" on basic specifications, as if it were just a matter of opinion. And now you are conflating sensor area with sensor resolution, which are entirely independent parameters.

Yes - comparing similar sized 12 MP and 48 MP sensors they are seeing the same number of photons in total. And so would a one pixel sensor of the same size, so it's trivially obvious that area ≠ resolution.

And it's not illogical at all to use a 48 MP quad-Bayer in 12 MP mode, because (1) you can bin the 4-pixel groups to get 12 MP with a lower noise floor and (2) you can separate them with different integration times to increase the dynamic range of the sensor. You use the 48 MP mode in good light at lower ISO when the dynamic range fits within the bit depth of the individual photosites.

It’s not anymore resolution, the demosaicing algorithm just has more presise information about each visible color location in relation to the sensor thus can process the image and apply certain sharpening information/filter at greater detail. Like I said the detail is not coming from actual recorded photons it is coming from software and software cannot create light.

And you are still completely wrong. There are 48 million photosites in that sensor, each providing spatially resolved data.

Lol if it was true 48mp the 12mp would be irrelevant and the picture evidence you posted wouldn’t look practically identical

"LOL", A.K.A "I am completely unable to defend my argument so I'll just pretend that yours is obviously wrong".

Since I already explained why 12 MP is not irrelevant and you apparently either didn't read it or didn't understand it, I'm not going to waste any more time responding to you unless you can find something intelligent to post on the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyeHigh
"LOL", A.K.A "I am completely able to defend my argument so I'll just pretend that yours is obviously wrong".

Since I already explained why 12 MP is not irrelevant and you apparently either didn't read it or didn't understand it, I'm not going to waste any more time responding to you unless you can find something intelligent to post on the subject.
Perhaps "able" should be "unable".

I guess he took his marbles and went home.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this so others can understand it. It gets really tiring seeing all of these posts saying "it's not really 48 megapixels".

Cheers!

Perhaps "able" should be "unable".

Thanks - that is exactly what I meant
I guess he took his marbles and went home.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this so others can understand it. It gets really tiring seeing all of these posts saying "it's not really 48 megapixels".

Cheers!

The question of how the quad-Bayer works is really quite interesting and I was somewhat skeptical until I found the details, but I'm also tired of those posts.

It's interesting to note that just considering one color block of photosites can be misleading. Since they are individual photosites you can group them however you want. This view shows that you can make 4-color sub-blocks in a quad Bayer (delineated by the black lines) of exactly the same dimension as a regular Bayer sensor. That shows more clearly why it has the same luminance resolution, though less optimal local color resolution.

quad_bayer_sensor_expanded.png
Quad Bayer

regular_bayer_sensor_expanded.png
Regular Bayer

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes