DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4Hawks Antenna Installation

Gecko10

Reactions
I want to get a $Hawks SR antenna installed on my MA, but I do not feel confident in doing it my self. Anyone know of a place that does this sort of work. Call several repair shops and they don't do it.

Sent a note to Thunderdrones the other day, but no response.

Thanks

Thanks. I will probably send it to you early winter. Will you get the antenna, or should I? Also, in the intrem, if you come up with a used controller for a a Magic Air lets just go ahead and install the 4Hawks SR. LET me know thanks.

Barry Adams

I had the SR for my MP...you'll want a pair of boosters. I sold it and bought the Raptor XR but haven't had a chance to use it yet, I also bought 2- 3 watt sunhans boosters...going to try them with and without the boosters. I'll report back when i do, hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:
Ok...bound the new remote to my MP and did a battery's worth of flying. it wasn't that much flying but I'm very happy with the little testing that I did do.

I had an unboosted 4 Hawks SR and I sold that to buy this boosted 4 Hawks XR. The booster has 2-3 watt Sunhans and a 4 mAh battery all in one little case, as you can see in the pics.

I went out to the farthest point I could go with the unboosted SR and had full bars but it was pretty windy so I turned around, battery was already down to 60% by that time. Then I went another direction that I used to go and went twice as far and turned around with plenty of bars left if I wanted to go farther.

I did all this from my residential front yard and back yard, lots of trees, lots of wifi intererence. I will do more testing and see what kind of range I can get when I have more time.

20181104_152350_resized.jpg20181104_152358_resized.jpg20181104_152542_resized.jpg20181104_152334_resized.jpg20181104_152058_resized.jpg20181104_152142_resized.jpg20181104_152317_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Ok...bound the new remote to my MP and did a battery's worth of flying. it wasn't that much flying but I'm very happy with the little testing that I did do.

I had an unboosted 4 Hawks SR and I sold that to buy this boosted 4 Hawks XR. The booster has 2-3 watt Sunhans and a 4 mAh battery all in one little case, as you can see in the pics.

I went out to the farthest point I could go with the unboosted SR and had full bars but it was pretty windy so I turned around, battery was already down to 60% by that time. Then I went another direction that I used to go and went twice as far and turned around with plenty of bars left if I wanted to go farther.

I did all this from my residential front yard and back yard, lots of trees, lots of wifi intererence. I will do more testing and see what kind of range I can get when I have more time.

View attachment 52360View attachment 52361View attachment 52362View attachment 52359View attachment 52356View attachment 52357View attachment 52358
That is one slick looking arrangement!

I've been overwhelmed with non-drone commitments and projects for about a month, but am impressed with what you've been doing.

I hope you don't mind me asking a bunch of questions! :)

What connector do you use to charge your battery?

Does the battery have overcharge protection?

Do the amps or battery heat up in that enclosure?

Are you using the Sunhans SHRC5824G2WP 2.4GHz/5.8GHz 2W/33dBm amps?

How does your battery life for the amps compare to the mavic's battery life?

BTW: I just ordered 2 sets of these in Orange and will let you know how they work with our Raptor XR/large tablet arrangement. :)

MAVIC CORD

Reactions: Drone_guy
That is one slick looking arrangement!

I've been overwhelmed with non-drone commitments and projects for about a month, but am impressed with what you've been doing.

I hope you don't mind me asking a bunch of questions! :)

What connector do you use to charge your battery?

Does the battery have overcharge protection?

Do the amps or battery heat up in that enclosure?

Are you using the Sunhans SHRC5824G2WP 2.4GHz/5.8GHz 2W/33dBm amps?

How does your battery life for the amps compare to the mavic's battery life?

BTW: I just ordered 2 sets of these in Orange and will let you know how they work with our Raptor XR/large tablet arrangement. :)

MAVIC CORD

"What connector do you use to charge your battery?" I use the same cord that I use to charge my remote.

"Does the battery have overcharge protection?" Hmmmm...good question, I don't know the answer to that. Here's a link to the booster that I have.

"Do the amps or battery heat up in that enclosure?" I've only used them once so far but I did notice a slight elevation in temp but nothing drastic.

"Are you using the Sunhans SHRC5824G2WP 2.4GHz/5.8GHz 2W/33dBm amps?" I am not. I'm using them with the Mavic Pro so they're only 2.4 ghz. The model I'm using is: Sunhans SHRC24G3WP 3W Amplifiers

"How does your battery life for the amps compare to the mavic's battery life?" Well having run only about a battery and a half on the Mavic so far it's hard to tell but I've noticed I have a ton of booster battery left after the initial flight.

I have a lot of non drone things going on now too so it's really hard to get time to play. I hope to do more testing in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

View attachment 52360View attachment 52361View attachment 52362View attachment 52359View attachment 52356View attachment 52357View attachment 52358
This looks amazingly powerful but I'm curious does the booster really help the Xr much ? I have the Xr and it's insane without any boosters.

Attachments

• IMG_20181021_171130005.jpg
    IMG_20181021_171130005.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 69
I have both the 4hawks Raptor SR and XR. It works great in areas where you have visual line of sight. If you’re lower in elevation and around a lot of trees, nothing will help you.

This looks amazingly powerful but I'm curious does the booster really help the Xr much ? I have the Xr and it's insane without any boosters.

I haven't had enough time to play with it yet. I will have time soon but it really seems to add signal strength to the XR. Will post more on this as I get time to test further.

I just ordered the 4hawks XR. Super excited to get it on the RC and test the results. I've gotten 10,000 ft. in a suburban area without it. So, the 4hawks XR should be add incredible range.

Sorry for not following up on the range tests, I haven't flown my drone since around the time of this post. One of the issues I've had is that I live within 4 miles from a busy airport, and in line with a runway. I'm only allowed to fly up to 50 feet so it's kind of taken the wind out of my sails.

So instead of flying my drone as a hobby I bought a corvette, I take nice long drives and attend car shows now.

img_0790_c59f7712fe66c49d44f65deae92aebcfe73fe9f9.jpg

I actually bought this to carry my drone so I can fly it where I am not restricted (I get to 'fly' on my way to flying) ..
WP_20160209_08_54_39_Pro.jpg

Reactions: Drone_guy
funny... my heads/cam/everything modded v8 but-look-the-n2o-is-disconnected-and-i-still-take-your-lunch-money toy is collecting dust in the garage while my drone flies around.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423