DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[4K HDR10] Bali again... in Rec2020

jaro

Reactions
Hello Everyone,

As Covid-19 ruined my travel plans this year, I had to refer to my shooting from Bali (March 2019) and as HDR experiments mastered following HDR 10-bit cut:

I encourage to view it from HDR-compatible TV (almost all nowadays LEDs, OLEDs) as if you open it on computer, YouTube will serve you SDR version, which is...ordinary :)
unless you've HDR monitor (capable displaying content brighter than 150 nits)

Shot on Mavic2 in D-log, H.265 container, mastered in FCPX using only Color Finale 2 plugin, just color corection, no grading, output to Rec.2020 colorspace, 10-bit color
I hope, you'll like it.

Last edited:
great video...............just some feedback;

......... all your scene transition sort of distracted from the image beauty...........too many zooms/sweeps/pans/fades............just my opinion........great work though!

Thank you for honest feedback - next time no distracting transitions :)

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I'm guilty of doing the same.....whiz bang techno effects.......and it was pointed out to me by others, so just passing it on.

no harm no foul.

nice tight editing either way..........just sometimes............less is more?

Hello Everyone,

As Covid-19 ruined my travel plans this year, I had to refer to my shooting from Bali (March 2019) and as HDR experiments mastered following HDR 10-bit cut:

I encourage to view it from HDR-compatible TV (almost all nowadays LEDs, OLEDs) as if you open it on computer, YouTube will serve you SDR version, which is...ordinary :)
unless you've HDR monitor (capable displaying content brighter than 150 nits)

Shot on Mavic2 in D-log, H.265 container, mastered in FCPX using only Color Finale 2 plugin, just color corection, no grading, output to Rec.2020 colorspace, 10-bit color
I hope, you'll like it.
Beautiful video. Where are you from, Sir?

Great video @jaro. May I ask what workflow you were following please? I had tons of D-LOG footage but couldn't find a good workflow to convert them into HDR/Rec.2020. It would be great if you can release another video demoing you did this video. ;-) Thanks!

Reactions: jaro
Great video @jaro. May I ask what workflow you were following please? I had tons of D-LOG footage but couldn't find a good workflow to convert them into HDR/Rec.2020. It would be great if you can release another video demoing you did this video. ;-) Thanks!

Thanks.
I realized that material from our Mavics when shot in D-log is HDR capable only when recorded into H.265 container. Probably only H.265 setting switches to 10-bit.
I work with FCPX, library should be set to Wide Gamut. Project is 4K/24fps in Rec.2020 PQ
Each clip inserted into timeline should be recognized correctly, but you can always set Colorspace override to Rec2020.
Now tricky part - unless you don't have HDR monitor (and mine XDR is still in delivery) you should pay attention to Vectorscopes and RGB parade/Scope. I've set max Luminocity to 800 nits (just grab line on the scope and move to desired level) and using Color Finale is easy to correct, but native color tools in FCPX are also good. When ready with editing, export to master file, preview on HDR TV and if result is OK - share on YT :)

Thanks.
I realized that material from our Mavics when shot in D-log is HDR capable only when recorded into H.265 container. Probably only H.265 setting switches to 10-bit.
I work with FCPX, library should be set to Wide Gamut. Project is 4K/24fps in Rec.2020 PQ
Each clip inserted into timeline should be recognized correctly, but you can always set Colorspace override to Rec2020.
Now tricky part - unless you don't have HDR monitor (and mine XDR is still in delivery) you should pay attention to Vectorscopes and RGB parade/Scope. I've set max Luminocity to 800 nits (just grab line on the scope and move to desired level) and using Color Finale is easy to correct, but native color tools in FCPX are also good. When ready with editing, export to master file, preview on HDR TV and if result is OK - share on YT :)

Thanks a lot @jaro for your tips. Unfortunately I only have Davinci Pro on my Windows PC. I will see if I can find similar settings there. I think I tried something similar, i.e. increase the max nits on the scopes and colour management settings, however the colour on the footage remained very dull. It sounds like FCPX automatically recognised the 10bit DLOG format and mapped it to the REC2020 colour space, whilst Davinci doesn't.

Thanks a lot @jaro for your tips. Unfortunately I only have Davinci Pro on my Windows PC. I will see if I can find similar settings there. I think I tried something similar, i.e. increase the max nits on the scopes and colour management settings, however the colour on the footage remained very dull. It sounds like FCPX automatically recognised the 10bit DLOG format and mapped it to the REC2020 colour space, whilst Davinci doesn't.

Sorry @waynesi - I cannot help you with DaVinci Resolve how to set up properly, but yesterday I was watching interesting live stream with Allister Chapman - search on YouTube "HDR workflow with Allister Chapman" - a lot of useful information regarding HDR workflow & grading

Last edited:
Sorry @waynesi - I cannot help you with DaVinci Resolve how to set up properly, but yesterday I was watching interesting live stream with Allister Chapman - search on YouTube "HDR workflow with Allister Chapman" - a lot of useful information regarding HDR workflow & grading

No worries @jaro. You've already said clearly on the OP that the video was made on FCPX. I was just trying my luck to see there are any common techniques can be applied to DR too! Still very useful tips and I will dig around! And thanks a lot for the workflow video, will check out in the weekend. BTW, just a quick question - after you set all the settings to Wide Gamut and REC 2020 colour space but before raising the nits, did the colour of all the imported DLOG clips automatically become "vivid" taking the full range of the scopes, or it still stayed dull and you had to boost it after raising the nits?

No worries @jaro. You've already said clearly on the OP that the video was made on FCPX. I was just trying my luck to see there are any common techniques can be applied to DR too! Still very useful tips and I will dig around! And thanks a lot for the workflow video, will check out in the weekend. BTW, just a quick question - after you set all the settings to Wide Gamut and REC 2020 colour space but before raising the nits, did the colour of all the imported DLOG clips automatically become "vivid" taking the full range of the scopes, or it still stayed dull and you had to boost it after raising the nits?

It will happen when you shot in HLG (which is "instant HDR"), but with D-log it will a little bit dull. but it's easy to fix with color wheels correction and curves, use six vectors correction as well (ex. more saturated greens)

Reactions: waynesi