DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K is way over rated who really needs it

Haven't looked specifically into the issue of 4K video, but from my experience with digital photography I can say that a lot of people are carried away by the idea that more pixels are always better despite the fact that their image resolution may really be limited by their lens or that they never need all those additional pixels even for a large 8"x10" print. Personally, I dial my Nikon 300s 12 Megapixel camera down to 6 Megapixels because I don't need the extra megapixels. If I showed a large image of a picture taken at 12 megapixels and another identical one taken at 6 megapixels, I guarantee you that none of you would be able to tell which is which by looking at them.

Question: isn't the advantage of higher resolution also to better digitally zoom into the picture?

Question: isn't the advantage of higher resolution also to better digitally zoom into the picture?

In photography it's best to properly frame the picture so that the available pixels are put to best use in the first place and digital zooming isn't needed.

It was time to upgrade my computer and screens so I could effectively process high res video. Not that my computer needed upgrading for every day work (3D Cad design) and leisure but high res video is a game changer, while I can processes 3 D environments just fine 4K video not so much. I had high end 26" 1080P monitors however they were 5 years old and not color certified, I had a triple monitor system and my plan was to go to 4 monitors, 3 side by side and a 34 ultrawide on top for wide screen video processing and cad environments.

What I discovered is that if you intend to process 4K video plan on spending more than the cost of the Drone. 4 Monitors aside even a single 4K Color certified monitor, the Video card and the processor to effectively do the procesing is a expensive proposition. Then you better add SSD drives to speed the processing up.

Through this process I learned that there can be a huge picture quality and price difference between color certified monitors and non certified (which accounts for most), not to mention there are very few color certified monitors available, not to mention price tag. I closely compared 2K vs 4K side by side and I could not see the video quality difference except I could not read text on the 4K because it was too small and the cost of 4K over 2K was substantial and not justifiable

Fortunately I already had a powerful processor and SSD, but in order to power multiple monitors at even 2K I had to upgrade video card to the 1080 GTX. Just a video card and 1 color certified monitor is more than the Mavic.

What I also found was when I watched the videos I color graded (Davinchi Resolve) on the old monitors I had a lot of work left to do as none were properly color graded because my old monitors were not Color, contrast or Gamma correct which left a lot to be desired on the new monitors.

1st off Color grading and or Color correction is often miss understood and very few software programs have true color grading options, Exposure, Contrast Hue, saturation, gamma is not color grading (it is only a very small part). You really need Davinchi resolve (which is free) or Adobe and a very small handful of others to really manage color correctly, especially if you are doing 4K then unless you have a monitor that is color certified or that can be calibrated (most cannot), then you need to buy the sensors to calibrate the monitor. Then to manage 4K or even 2 K you need a strong processor and Video card.

Basically it will cost more than the mavic to really be able to effectively process 4K video. Still unless you have a color certified or calibrated monitors it will be guess work at best.

I ended up buying three Dell 27 Inch Color Certifeid 27" and 34" ultrawide monitors and what a difference it makes in not only processing but watching the video I shoot.

IMO 4K is over rated. For those looking to upgrade monitors avoid Gaming monitors and low ms monitors they are more likely to artificially enhance or distort color.

If you were to buy 1 monitor for all around use and video processing the Dell U3415W is amazing on sale $599 at Staples (online only)

Now HDR will be a whole different animal.
When comparing 2.7k to 4k on my 4k tv there is a pretty significant difference. I can even see the difference on my retina MBP. Though a majority of the population doesn't have a 4k so it doesn't matter to them lol

I do not think anyone is arguing that there is NO advantage to 4K, more so the difference between 2K and 4K is negligable and often not even visable to the human eye depending on viewing distance, video processing, and screen size and quality. IMO the cost surrounding 4K be it the monitors, the software, the computor and the hardware does not justify the resolution and I am referring to the average Joe who is not a videophile. We can talk about how cheap 4K tV's are these days so are monitors, however to get a good Panel to really display great 4K video be it TV or monitor will be the more expensive models. There can be world of difference between a $700 4K tv and a $2000 4K tv.

If you want great 4K the Mavic is not your vehicle, it is nothing more than a glorified cellphone or point and shoot camera, while it can take some stunning footage (right place at the right time) it also can be very medioker say compared to the X5 and a few others. I do not think too many people are buying 4K screens to watch video from their phones or their point and shoot cameras.

With today's restrictions on data transfers and data slow downs when you near your limits, I think online viewing of 4K is going to be a small percentage. Like I mentioned in a earlier post, Comcast the largest internet supplier in the US has recently limited data with pretty steep penalties if you exceed, I will not be streaming any 4K movies and I will avoid other 4K streams and down loads when possible, I am just fine watching lower res content. Also keep in mind that those data limits are not just for downloads but also includes uploads.

The human eye cannot see past 8K, so 4K and 4.5 is much sharper to see than lowly HD.
I never shoot HD. It's the new equivalent of standard definition!
The next format from Japan will be 8K. NHK is already broadcasting in it.
That will be the ceiling as the human eye can't detect resolutions over 8K!
HDR is just saturated colours in any format
Has nothing to do with resolution!
The only benefit 8k has over 4k is viewing on a 65" or bigger bigger TV more pixels does not mean better quality. I have a 8k Samsung qled !!!! But wish I had got a LG oled tv

The only benefit 8k has over 4k is viewing on a 65" or bigger bigger TV more pixels does not mean better quality.
I agree. If you show an 8K video on a smaller screen, you won't really see any improvement over 4K. 8K just reduces the chances of pixels becoming visible on very large screens. Sadly, there's a lot of people who think that 4k is automatically better on any screen size. Take, for example, the current trend for putting 4k displays in laptops. You need much more processing power to render a 4k image which, on a laptop-sized screen, looks no better than the same sized screen running at QHD. It's just a waste of system resources (and a source of extra heat) for no good reason other than bragging rights.

I agree. If you show an 8K video on a smaller screen, you won't really see any improvement over 4K. 8K just reduces the chances of pixels becoming visible on very large screens. Sadly, there's a lot of people who think that 4k is automatically better on any screen size. Take, for example, the current trend for putting 4k displays in laptops. You need much more processing power to render a 4k image which, on a laptop-sized screen, looks no better than the same sized screen running at QHD. It's just a waste of system resources (and a source of extra heat) for no good reason other than bragging rights.
Unless its SUHD ie Oled or Qled

Unless its SUHD ie Oled or Qled
If you mean the better/more colours and brightness, then I'd still be surprised if anyone could tell the difference on a laptop screen.

If you mean the better/more colours and brightness, then I'd still be surprised if anyone could tell the difference on a laptop screen.
As I said unless it was oled or qled
You've never seen an oled so you will have no idea

You've never seen an oled so you will have no idea
Don’t make assumptions! I have seen many OLED displays and I stand my original comment that on a laptop sized screen I doubt that anyone could easily tell the difference.

Rubbish the difference is like night and day there is no difference between a laptop screen and a TV screen other than size as both are made in the same manner.i would imagine you have only seen 4k quality viewing and not suhd on a oled or qled laptop because once you have seen you would change your thoughts on it as the difference between 4k and 4k suhd are just stunning

Rubbish the difference is like night and day there is no difference between a laptop screen and a TV screen other than size as both are made in the same manner.i would imagine you have only seen 4k quality viewing and not suhd on a oled or qled laptop because once you have seen you would change your thoughts on it as the difference between 4k and 4k suhd are just stunning
You do realise that SUHD is just Samsung's marketing name for their QLED TVs and not some new technology, right?

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:
You do realise that SUHD is just Samsung's marketing name for their QLED TVs and not some new technology, right?

(Edited for clarity.)
Yes I know what oled and qled are, both different in every way which improve the 4k standard and if you put a 4k next to a 4k oled or 4k qled and if you can't see the difference then there's no point .

And I would say oled is better than qled the main benefit in qled screen will last longer as little or no burnt screen compared to oled

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman