DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K to 1080p zoom

I would think getting 1080p out of a 4K sensor would skip pixels so as to use the full sensor. You're still using a full 1920 horizontal pixels in 1080p, the question is which pixels in the sensor. Therefore, no loss. OK, there's some loss when the division is not an even integer.
I've used the 4x zoom (24-96mm) on the M2Z in 1080p, and it is indeed a lossless zoom, created with the 2x optical zoom and 1/4 of a 4K frame, which is an effective dynamic zoom of 4x. Looks great on closeup subjects like skittish osprey parents and chicks on a nest on a light pole 100 feet off the ground, that you could not otherwise observe.

same here. biggest annoyance i have with M2P is the, in my opinion, broken panorama creation code in it - as it does not produce automatically JPG files of the expected hi resolution image after stitching 3x3, for an example, 20mp images. M2Z does it correctly, more or less, but with M2P i always have to do it in the external program to get a properly sized panorama. i did not try it with new 510 firmware, but it is probably still same as it was.
I shot a 3x3 panorama tonight on my M2P with my normal "save originals as JPG" selection for panoramas. The nine saved JPG files are 10MB each in size, which is the same size as they are when shooting the 26 shots for my spherical panoramas just after. 10MB JPG's are the correct size for the 20MB sensor because of the lossy compression of JPG. A 20MP sensor will never have a 20MB JPG. The DNG's are much larger and uncompressed, and closer to 30MB each as I recall. The detail in the nine 10MB JPG images can easily be stitched to create a high quality 48MB JPG, instead of the automated 11MB one created by the camera. The spherical panorama created by the camera is also only 11MB in size., but my final result using PanoramaStudio Pro 3 is 75MB in size. The camera created one was never intended to be a Super Zoom image, but can easily be turned into one from the saved originals.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAW
I shot a 3x3 panorama tonight on my M2P with my normal "save originals as JPG" selection for panoramas. The nine saved JPG files are 10MP each in size, which is the same size as they are when shooting the 26 shots for my spherical panoramas just after. 10MP JPG's are the correct size for the 20MP sensor because of the lossy compression of JPG. A 20MP sensor will never have a 20MP JPG. The DNG's are much larger and uncompressed, and closer to 30MB each as I recall. The detail in the nine 10 MB JPG images can easily be stitched to create a high quality 48MB JPG, instead of the automated 11 MB one created by the camera. The spherical panorama created by the camera is also only 11MB in size., but my final result using PanoramaStudio Pro 3 is 75MB in size. The camera created one was never intended to be a Super Zoom image, but can easily be turned into one from the saved originals.
i think you mixed MP and MB a bit there, but overall i follow what you are saying. i also always work with original DNGs from the M2P, so, it is not an issue.

i think you mixed MP and MB a bit there, but overall i follow what you are saying. i also always work with original DNGs from the M2P, so, it is not an issue.
You started it! ? I wasn't thinking, and mixed it, too! Now corrected in my reply post above, but you can see in my reply that you used 20mp first, "stitching 3x3, for an example, 20mp images."

I now believe I may have misunderstood your original post. Were you disappointed that the camera created pano stitch was only 13MB or that the "save originals as JPG's" were only 10MB each in size? I originally thought it was the latter. I now believe to be the former.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02