DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K60 & best settings

bjhirsch

Reactions
Hello

I am new to drone video & Mavic AIR 2 and have a small problem with my video settings or quality. But I guess it is rather user error than hardware :)

Tried to fly last weekend for the third time, as it was a bright & sunny day (afternoon) I out on the ND 16 (but forgot to but the shutter speed on manual). I looked to the histogram and did a minus -0,7 exposure compensation and locked that value.For best quality in slowing the video down in post I selected 4K 60 frames. I may need to add that it was a bit a windy day and I think I flew in normal, not tripod modus.

I flow over a canal with trees on both sides (10-15 meters away on each side) and when I now look to the video the leaves the leaves of threes look very artificial / strange even when I reduced the video speed to 50% = 30 frames per second. Same in 100% or even 200%.

I expected a better quality (the canal is nice & sharp) so is this due to

• Not manual setting a correct shutter speed of 1/120 sec
  • Filming in 60 frames for quality & possibility to slow down, 30 frames would have been better
  • The wind moving the little leaves & the drone too much (but gimbal did a great job to keep drone footage stable)
Or the mix of all three ???? Really wondering, in a first impression I was more happy with the 2,7 K of my mini … therefore I am sure its is a user setting error.

Thanks for any help and TGIF

PS; here is the. short video uploaded : Premiere export source resolution:

Bjoern

Last edited:
Hello

I am new to drone video & Mavic AIR 2 and have a small problem with my video settings or quality. But I guess it is rather user error than hardware :)

Tried to fly last weekend for the third time, as it was a bright & sunny day (afternoon) I out on the ND 16 (but forgot to but the shutter speed on manual). I looked to the histogram and did a minus -0,7 exposure compensation and locked that value.For best quality in slowing the video down in post I selected 4K 60 frames. I may need to add that it was a bit a windy day and I think I flew in normal, not tripod modus.

I flow over a canal with trees on both sides (10-15 meters away on each side) and when I now look to the video the leaves the leaves of threes look very artificial / strange even when I reduced the video speed to 50% = 30 frames per second. Same in 100% or even 200%.

I expected a better quality (the canal is nice & sharp) so is this due to

• Not manual setting a correct shutter speed of 1/120 sec
  • Filming in 60 frames for quality & possibility to slow down, 30 frames would have been better
  • The wind moving the little leaves & the drone too much (but gimbal did a great job to keep drone footage stable)
Or the mix of all three ???? Really wondering, in a first impression I was more happy with the 2,7 K of my mini … therefore I am sure its is a user setting error.

Thanks for any help and TGIF

Bjoern

Many of us can help but you need to post the video.

Phantomran.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

Reactions: pelagic_one
Many variables , codec H265 can be too much for computers , unless within the last couple of years and high spec . Try H264 in the settings. Also what are you viewing on ? If it’s not 4K you won’t get 4K. Try uploading to YouTube , try viewing on a 4K tv (presuming of course you don’t have a 4K monitor.......hence variables). Other options are mp4 and MOV, I found the latter better being on Apple.

I don't have the MA2 but the 60 fps footage taken by my M2P is bad compared with 30 fps. The reason is that the camera under-sample the image at 60 fps. Not sure about the reason but it may have to do with computing resource or heat dissipation

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I don't have the MA2 but the 60 fps footage taken by my M2P is bad compared with 30 fps. The reason is that the camera under-sample the image at 60 fps. Not sure about the reason but it may have to do with computing resource or heat dissipation

Ok so now I have seen quite a few videos with this type of fluctuation on the roof tops and some building, this may be a firmware fix needed.

I have not seen any of the Mavic 2 Zoom with the same fluctuation which is why it may be a firmware fix.

Interesting and great example .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Uploaded the video but no further comments after ? Any help or suggestion please ...

Thanks in advance :)

DJI will not fix anything. They had multiple problems with the Mavic Pro. Had problems with the air. Imho it is related to sensor size (smartphone type 1/2“) and compression. Sensor introduces noise in the dark areas and compression with h265 seems to make things worse as it introduces a lot of macro blocking. 60 fps is killing it. Imagine feeding double the amount of data into tiny drone.

I am pixelpeeping since i want to replace my air with air 2. If there more video issues i have to go with pro 2 or wait for 3.

just my 50 cent as a filmmaking nerd

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters