DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4k60 fps

Why would you upscale to 4k? That only increases file size with no gain in quality.

No, there is a rise in quality thanks to these editors these days.
Same way TVs show things that look like video tape but they were film.

No, there is a rise in quality thanks to these editors these days.
Same way TVs show things that look like video tape but they were film.

Have any sources? Im genuinely interested.

Last edited:
My channel

Old movies/tv shows you mentioned that are digitally remastered are primarly upscaled by taking the original film and rescanning with modern equipment, editors clean up the grain amd scratches.

It's like taking your old photo films to walgreens and getting reprints using modern printers. Up scaling as you describe is like taking the reprints and blowing them up, don't see how you can boost quality that way. Im almost certain you cant, pixels don't come from thin air.

Why would you upscale to 4k? That only increases file size with no gain in quality.
The apparent quality increase can be significantly. If you feed a native 4K display a lower res file a lot will depend on how good the upscaling algorithm performs. There are substantial differences. Editing packages often perform better than monitors and graphics cards in upscaling.

Reactions: pmshop
Old movies/tv shows you mentioned that are digitally remastered are primarly upscaled by taking the original film and rescanning with modern equipment, editors clean up the grain amd scratches.

It's like taking your old photo films to walgreens and getting reprints using modern printers. Up scaling as you describe is like taking the reprints and blowing them up, don't see how you can boost quality that way. Im almost certain you cant, pixels don't come from thin air.

No what I mean is the digital processing a TV does. They are not remastered. They are straight from cable and the TV upscales them and makes them look incredible. Only place I disagree is the old black n whites. They look weird when processed.

You sure can - look through the catalog and check out some YouTube topics on it.

Original here was 2.7K30fps

Ok fair enough but you're still not gaining quality by increasing video size in any editor that I know of.

Upscaling that 4k tvs do today simply take a smaller image and apply a few algorithms to trick the brain into believing it "looks" better on a larger high res screen. They don't magically gain pixels and increase sharpness, if anything upscaling decreases sharpness.

Upscaling works for tvs, agreed there but taking 2.7k footage and increasing it to 4k doesn't gain anything. Just trying to save you bandwidth and disk space. ?

Ok fair enough but you're still not gaining quality by increasing video size in any editor that I know of.

Upscaling that 4k tvs do today simply take a smaller image and apply a few algorithms to trick the brain into believing it "looks" better on a larger high res screen. They don't magically gain pixels and increase sharpness, if anything upscaling decreases sharpness.

Upscaling works for tvs, agreed there but taking 2.7k footage and increasing it to 4k doesn't gain anything. Just trying to save you bandwidth and disk space. ?

Sorry, but I get a lot of compliments on the up-scaling.
I see it as well as my friends.
It does work.
There is no trickery to TVs
We see the difference as well.
You do not give software enough credit.
And, guess you do not use Adobe Premiere because that is one of the best for up-scaling with quality increase.

Reactions: WithTheBirds

No, you can't create something that want there. However, if you want to display 1080, 2.7K or any lower res footage on a 4K motor you will often get a noticeably better result upscaling and optimising in an editor/dedicated transcoding package than might re realised letting the monitor handle it.

Sorry, but I get a lot of compliments on the up-scaling.
I see it as well as my friends.
It does work.
There is no trickery to TVs
We see the difference as well.
You do not give software enough credit.
And, guess you do not use Adobe Premiere because that is one of the best for up-scaling with quality increase.

Ive used adobe products since the late 90s, really the only I use. I know premiere, after effects, photoshop amd lightroom intimately. Those programs do not increase sharpness by increasing video/photo size. But hey if you're happy then that's what matters.

Ive used adobe products since the late 90s, really the only I use. I know premiere, after effects, photoshop amd lightroom intimately. Those programs do not increase sharpness by increasing video/photo size. But hey if you're happy then that's what matters.
No- but, and I'm surprised you haven't noticed the effect given your experience, they can do a better job than the onboard processing in the display and it isn't a rare occurrence. It is the same principal often evident when optimising a still image for printing. Most printers wont do as good a job left to there own devices as you might if you take the time to rescale the image to the native printer resolution.

Now- as to your question it is very unlikely you will get 4K60 on the air. Yes, it does have the same sensor and image processing SOC and the phantom 4 pro/advanced but it seems it is of no benefit to DJI to enable any additional capabilities. The mavic mini flys an ambarella H22 but I'm not sure we should hold our breath for 4K.

Edit- I posted before refreshing so didn't see your reply- apologies.

Now- as to your question it is very unlikely you will get 4K60 on the air. Yes, it does have the same sensor and image processing SOC and the phantom 4 pro/advanced but it seems it is of no benefit to DJI to enable any additional capabilities. The mavic mini flys an ambarella H22 but I'm not sure we should hold our breath for 4K.

No. That's not the case at all. The P4P and P4A use the same camera, but it is not shared with the Mavic Air. The Phantoms have a 1" sensor and the Air has a 1/2.3" one.

No. That's not the case at all. The P4P and P4A use the same camera, but it is not shared with the Mavic Air. The Phantoms have a 1" sensor and the Air has a 1/2.3" one.
You missed the point- both the air and P4A/P employ the ambarella H1 SOC. The sensor differences are well known and of no consequence.

You missed the point- both the air and P4A/P employ the ambarella H1 SOC. The sensor differences are well known and of no consequence.

I missed no points. You said "Yes, it does have the same sensor and image processing SOC and the phantom 4 pro/advanced" and it does not have the same sensor.

And to call the 1" P4P sensor when compared to The Mavic Air's 1/2.3" sensor "of no consequence" is silly. So odd that you would make an incorrect spec statement and then say I missed the point and then discount the incorrect part of your sentence. Weird.

I missed no points. You said "Yes, it does have the same sensor and image processing SOC and the phantom 4 pro/advanced" and it does not have the same sensor.

And to call the 1" P4P sensor when compared to The Mavic Air's 1/2.3" sensor "of no consequence" is silly. So odd that you would make an incorrect spec statement and then say I missed the point and then discount the incorrect part of your sentence. Weird.
Is the ambarella H1 capable of 4k60?

I see now I mistyped. I never meant to suggest it’s the same sensor.

Here is my point- the H1 can do 4K60.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803