DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5 shot AEB is useless

AyeYo

Reactions
Anyone else having this same issue? I usually use 3 shot AEB because it's literally the only way to get usable images from the Mavic. However, I had an exceptionally difficult lighting snow scene with low-angle sun the other day and decided I need more than the 3 shot's pretty lame exposure separation, so I tried the 5 shot. What I got in EVERY shot group (and I've since confirmed this over and over) is:

- Two middle exposure pictures that in the metadata claim to be shot at different shutter speeds and same ISO, but are absolutely identical in exposure.

- One barely darker picture

- One barely lighter picture

- One grossly over-exposed, nearly white picture

So, in effect, when you take the usable shots you get (one middle, one slightly dark, one slightly light) you have exactly the same narrow separation of the 3 shot AEB. Essentially, the dark exposure is missing entirely and the light exposure is so light it's totally useless. DJI really, really needs to add a setting to manually choose the EV separation of the AEB shots.

While I support your idea of being able to set the EV separation - I do get nicely separated pictures already.

I would check with JPEG output. It could be your RAW processing software deciding on stupid starting points.

The 5-shot AEB works as described for me. If you haven't already done so, set your exposure to full manual, and turn off auto white balance (AWB).

I get 5 images (DNGs, I turned off JPG altogether) in the following order:

1) default exposure as set manually
2) -2/3 stop (darker)
3) +2/3 stop (brighter)
4) -1 1/3 stop (darker than #2)
5) +1 1/3 stop (brighter than #3)

I'd like to be able to set the EV increment, as well as re-arranging the shot order (prefer in the order of default, then from darkest to brightest), but these are wishlist items for new firmware.

Alex

Anyone else having this same issue? I usually use 3 shot AEB because it's literally the only way to get usable images from the Mavic. However, I had an exceptionally difficult lighting snow scene with low-angle sun the other day and decided I need more than the 3 shot's pretty lame exposure separation, so I tried the 5 shot. What I got in EVERY shot group (and I've since confirmed this over and over) is:

- Two middle exposure pictures that in the metadata claim to be shot at different shutter speeds and same ISO, but are absolutely identical in exposure.

- One barely darker picture

- One barely lighter picture

- One grossly over-exposed, nearly white picture

So, in effect, when you take the usable shots you get (one middle, one slightly dark, one slightly light) you have exactly the same narrow separation of the 3 shot AEB. Essentially, the dark exposure is missing entirely and the light exposure is so light it's totally useless. DJI really, really needs to add a setting to manually choose the EV separation of the AEB shots.

Reactions: winddiesel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada