DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A bunch of Mavic 3 questions...

BSauce955

Inspire or be Inspired
Approved Vendor
Reactions
So, I'm considering getting into aerial photography and deciding what drone to buy. Currently, I'm thinking of the Air 2S, Mavic 3 Classic, Mavic 3 Pro, or maybe a good used Mavic 3. My main question is, is the flight time on the Mavic 3 really as significantly larger than that of the Air 2S? On DJI's website, the Mavic 3 has 45 min max flight time advertised, and the Air 2S has 30. I know those are probably the maximum, but flight time is something that I'd like to have. However, considering DJI tends to exaggerate their flight times, I'm wondering if the Mavic 3 really flies as much longer than the Air 2S. Also, the Mavic 3 batteries are around twice as expensive, so would I possibly get more flight time simply by purchasing the Mavic Air 2S and buying a bunch of extra batteries?

Additionally, is the footage quality that much better? The Air 2S footage I've seen has been great, but I'd assume the Mavic 3 is better. However, I'm just a beginner, so is that really something that would enhance my photography? So many different factors bouncing around in my head right now I'm not quite sure what to think! I know I'll definitely upgrade to the Mavic 3 Pro at some point or possibly the Cine version, but I'm not sure if it's something I need now.

Lastly, if I did go with the Mavic 3 Pro, I definitely can't afford that right now. Would it be smart to finance it and pay it off in the 6 months allowed before incurring interest? ~$500 a month would be doable for me but not sure if it's the smart thing to do. I'm open to any input on any of these topics. Thanks!

So, I'm considering getting into aerial photography and deciding what drone to buy. Currently, I'm thinking of the Air 2S, Mavic 3 Classic, Mavic 3 Pro, or maybe a good used Mavic 3. My main question is, is the flight time on the Mavic 3 really as significantly larger than that of the Air 2S? On DJI's website, the Mavic 3 has 45 min max flight time advertised, and the Air 2S has 30. I know those are probably the maximum, but flight time is something that I'd like to have. However, considering DJI tends to exaggerate their flight times, I'm wondering if the Mavic 3 really flies as much longer than the Air 2S. Also, the Mavic 3 batteries are around twice as expensive, so would I possibly get more flight time simply by purchasing the Mavic Air 2S and buying a bunch of extra batteries?

Additionally, is the footage quality that much better? The Air 2S footage I've seen has been great, but I'd assume the Mavic 3 is better. However, I'm just a beginner, so is that really something that would enhance my photography? So many different factors bouncing around in my head right now I'm not quite sure what to think! I know I'll definitely upgrade to the Mavic 3 Pro at some point or possibly the Cine version, but I'm not sure if it's something I need now.

Lastly, if I did go with the Mavic 3 Pro, I definitely can't afford that right now. Would it be smart to finance it and pay it off in the 6 months allowed before incurring interest? ~$500 a month would be doable for me but not sure if it's the smart thing to do. I'm open to any input on any of these topics. Thanks!

Have you been hacked, it seems as though with 1148 posts and one that says you already have an Air 2S, you are no beginner:

Have you been hacked, it seems as though with 1148 posts and one that says you already have an Air 2S, you are no beginner:

By beginner, I meant the commercial aspect of flying. I've been flying drones since I was 13, beginning with the Mavic Pro. I had an Air 2S; however, as per the post, it had a gimbal issue, so I didn't really have much experience with it. Additionally, I flew for fun, not for aerial cinematography, so I really have no hands-on experience or knowledge in regards to the video capabilities of the drone.

Personally I think the flight time of the Mavic is super, super meaningful. Being able to get out some place and have time to look around, do a 360 Panorama, shoot some tele panoramas etc etc. If the Mavic 3 Pro is in your budget - even paying it off on time -it would be, to me, a no brainer compared to the other drones of it’s ilk. The Avata is a different thing, the big commercial drones are different things…but compared to any of the other Mavic, the Mini’s or whatever, the M3 Pro is so very flexible and you will find the flight time is a huge advantage. I fly with my M3 80% of the time and every time I grab my Mini 3 Pro or Avata or FPV I am reminded (by my screen..) that I need to get back. If you only have a Mini or an Air 2s or something it’s all good. You get used to whatever you have but if you have a Mavic you appreciate the longer flight time immensely.

I started with an Air 2S and it was a great way to get into the hobby. I'm a lifelong photographer, so I immediately started post processing the files to see how I could improve.
Out of the box, the 2S 4K files are wonderfully sharp. I could expect 20-25 minutes flight times top, but usually stuck to 15-20 minute flights. It was reasonably resistant to wind and was able to get stable video in most conditions.
Now I have a Mavic 3, the 4/3 20 mpx camera is visibly superior - not just in the daytime, but in lower light situations. The 7x camera is useful but not stellar compared to the quality of the 4/3 camera. The Mav 3 easily flies 30-35 minutes missions - I have time to conduct more leisurely flights and pay more attention to making videos with the best possible quality. It flies faster (47 mph vs. 42 for the 2s) and has greater wind resistance.
The Mav 3 also responds much faster to inputs - for example - I can fly it faster in tighter circles.
The last plus is it has object avoidance in all directions and out to a greater distance.
As far as for commercial work however, there is no SDK for the Mavic 3 yet to allow the use of 3rd party mapping software for example - so if that is on your wish list, an Enterprise drone should be a consideration.
If you're after professional cinema quality video that will use more advanced video, then the Cine version is the one of choice - albeit expensive.
There are plenty of Youtube videos showing the pros and cons of all these considerations that should assist with your search.

I would take exception with the comment about Cine. The non-Cine version will create wonderful professional results with DLOG. The cine version’s advantage is ProRes which is crucial if you are sharing files with other Pro Res shooters but if you are shooting alone and have no specific requirement for ProRes I see little to no reason to get a Cine. If you need ProRes you know it. If you don’t know it, don’t worry about the Cine.

I would take exception with the comment about Cine. The non-Cine version will create wonderful professional results with DLOG. The cine version’s advantage is ProRes which is crucial if you are sharing files with other Pro Res shooters but if you are shooting alone and have no specific requirement for ProRes I see little to no reason to get a Cine. If you need ProRes you know it. If you don’t know it, don’t worry about the Cine.
Since the OP seems to be exploring aerial photography, the Cine version with ProRes 422 HQ which is intended for integration into industry standard post-production, there's probably plenty of time to go there in the future.
As you say - he can get pro results with the Mav 3, Classic and now Mav Pro. All he has to do is take a look at your videos for example!

If you are not doing some sort of side work with a studio that requires you to use it I wouldn't make Pro res a requirement especially if you are "starting out" You could buy a Cine 3 but Thats a pretty steep price tag when you could get a mavic 3 pro and get Wonderful professional video. for way cheaper. Editing software such as Final Cut, while industry standard, is having to make room for much cheaper and more intuitive software Such as Blackmagic's Davinchi Resolve. So spending big bucks just to get Pro res at the moment would really be just spending extra. (unless of course you already own a license and possess the skill to use Final Cut)

Reactions: WanderLost
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav