DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 A church in a gang violence area

LOL thanks but that doesn't stop the bullets flying and it those flying bullets that are the concern.

Great photo Kywon!

Something was 'bugging me' about the photo, I have just realised what it was, the steeple/belfry is markedly offset, is that common?

There is a orangish-red mark to the right of the belfry, I think it's on a hoarding, is that correct?
To the right of that is a red dot, is that a traffic light?
Sometimes dead pixels? on the camera sensor can cause red dots in images, if it is a dead pixel you might want to check for others.

Not a bad start Kywon. The nature of the image due to the position of the drone and the wide angle lens produces something known as "keystoning". Keystoning is that inward/outward tilt on both sides of the image from bottom to the top of the image. I don't think you yet have the equipment or software to "help" (edit) the image. But if you did, perhaps you might be able to improve the image with a few simple things. Forgive me for taking the liberty of showing you what could be done to improve your image. On the top image I've simply straightened out the "lines" of the building to make the vertical and horizontal lines look more like you would perceive them in real life. I've also opened up the shadows while trying to keep the highlights from getting too bright an dkeeping the saturation of the sky.

Also, as someone else suggested, try orbiting the church. And perhaps shoot the still from the front of the church if you can. Probably a lot more effort was made to make the front look better than the rear. You should take advantage of that if you can.

1672426657566.png

Last edited:
Can you fly around the front of the church at any time when there isn’t traffic? It really looks cool.

Not a bad start Kywon. The nature of the image due to the position of the drone and the wide angle lens produces something known as "keystoning". Keystoning is that inward/outward tilt on both sides of the image from bottom to the top of the image. I don't think you yet have the equipment or software to "help" (edit) the image. But if you did, perhaps you might be able to improve the image with a few simple things. Forgive me for taking the liberty of showing you what could be done to improve your image. On the top image I've simply straightened out the "lines" of the building to make the vertical and horizontal lines look more like you would perceive them in real life. I've also opened up the shadows while trying to keep the highlights from getting too bright an dkeeping the saturation of the sky.

Also, as someone else suggested, try orbiting the church. And perhaps shoot the still from the front of the church if you can. Probably a lot more effort was made to make the front look better than the rear. You should take advantage of that if you can.

View attachment 158848
while you were at it, you should have cloned in a steeple which was cut off.

Nice start. Like the others I'd get out in front of the church and try to get far enough away to see the full buildingt to the top of the steeple. Virtually every city of any size in the US, unfortunately, has one or more churches built in older neighborhoods which are now in the middle of gang violence. A couple of years ago I did a book on a local church in that situation. The church was beautiful inside and out, but when I used the men's room while photographing the interior, I noted that there were 6 bullet holes in the windows. There were a few in the church proper. Seats about 600, but average attendance is only about 75 total for 2 masses. Here is a view of the interior.

Attachments

• Interior from rear DSC_6542-Edit SM.jpg
    Interior from rear DSC_6542-Edit SM.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 8
while you were at it, you should have cloned in a steeple which was cut off.
I could have but didn’t want to go too far on Kywons image. The “lesson” was about keystoning and I thought more extensive retouching might have eclipsed the concept.

an orbit around that church steeple would look great...
Glad to see you flying again kywon
I loved seeing the "orbit around that church steeple". Hey, I've been excited just examining my roof :) Itzmyobsession, how would a person do that with a Mini 2? Is there a trick to it, or a simple move?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer