DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A little video from Africa

Hey guys. We recently did a little trip to ZA, Zimbabwe and Zambia and I just compiled a video from that trip. Hope you guys enjoy. A little note: for Vic Falls I had to fly only at lunchtime, when the choppers take a break. Otherwise it's impossible, they fly all the time. Mavic 2 Zoom.

Fabulous! You have mad skills.

Reactions: ivpool$ and bzmot
Hey guys. We recently did a little trip to ZA, Zimbabwe and Zambia and I just compiled a video from that trip. Hope you guys enjoy. A little note: for Vic Falls I had to fly only at lunchtime, when the choppers take a break. Otherwise it's impossible, they fly all the time. Mavic 2 Zoom.

Hey - just about to leave for Zambia, and trying to decide wether to take my drone. Did you have any of the paperwork? I've left it far too late for that, and trying to decide whether to take it anyway...

I only crossed by bridge from Zim in Vic Falls, so on foot. Nothing gets checked there, especially not tourists. I couldn't tell you what happens if you fly in though. Take it, what do you have to lose? Worst case, they'll hold it for you at the border and you'll pick it up on departure.

I only crossed by bridge from Zim in Vic Falls, so on foot. Nothing gets checked there, especially not tourists. I couldn't tell you what happens if you fly in though. Take it, what do you have to lose? Worst case, they'll hold it for you at the border and you'll pick it up on departure.
Thanks - unfortunately I'm flying in to Lusaka, and out of Livingstone - so if it's taken, it stays taken ?
No judgement here at all - but may I presume that you didn't have the Zambian permits for flight..?

Ouch....

The only country I did have problems with was Rwanda and it does look like in Kigali they're very consistent at the airport. They'll take it and you'll need to pick it up. I posted this story here somewhere. Kenya and Tanzania in various reports are said to create problems at airports but I never had any there, so it's probably a hit or miss affair. I do not think Zambia is one of those difficult countries. But.... overland it's always easier.

YMMV...

No, no permits. Not feasible unless you live there, have plenty of time and plenty of money.

Ouch....

The only country I did have problems with was Rwanda and it does look like in Kigali they're very consistent at the airport. They'll take it and you'll need to pick it up. I posted this story here somewhere. Kenya and Tanzania in various reports are said to create problems at airports but I never had any there, so it's probably a hit or miss affair. I do not think Zambia is one of those difficult countries. But.... overland it's always easier.

YMMV...

No, no permits. Not feasible unless you live there, have plenty of time and plenty of money.
Thanks for this - very helpful! I'm heading on to South Africa afterwards which I believe shouldn't be an issue - I think I'll risk it and take it!
Cheers,
Nik

Yeah, except for game parks in ZA you can fly pretty much anywhere and I believe it's mostly legal, if you stick to common sense rules. And as you can see, it's a wonderful place to fly.

Thanks - unfortunately I'm flying in to Lusaka, and out of Livingstone - so if it's taken, it stays taken ?
No judgement here at all - but may I presume that you didn't have the Zambian permits for flight..?
I've been to Zambia, both Lusaka and Livingstone (not with drone though). Livingstone is great, lots of photo ops and white water rafting if you are a thrill seeker.
Zambia does not seem to have any special drone requirements (licensing) for private operators, commercial operators need a license (normal anywhere) but if you're flying for fun then you should be good.
There is a contact number in the first link.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

Yeah, except for game parks in ZA you can fly pretty much anywhere and I believe it's mostly legal, if you stick to common sense rules. And as you can see, it's a wonderful place to fly.
I was in ZA in May this year. Common sense rules apply, do not fly within 10km of an airport and stay 30m away from people. VLOS and 120m max altitude, avoid any sensitive areas (military, police, power plants, prisons) etc.
Watch for those darn birds, they don't like drones. Sea birds, big birds, small birds, freaking birds... ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661