DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A lucky escape!

Django18

Reactions
I learned a valuable lesson about flying anywhere near water or people a couple of weeks ago. I live in Hastings on the south coast of England and a couple of weeks ago I thought I’d take my drone to the seafront for a fly as the light was getting that nice warmth of early evening. I took off as usual where there weren’t too many people and flew out to sea as there was a speedboat going around near the shore. I filmed it for a bit and then it approached the beach to pick up passengers so I was hovering just behind it facing the beach.

Suddenly the drone spun round to the left 90 degrees facing along the beach. I tried turning it back but it jolted round again. I was over the water at this point and beginning to worry so I decided to bring it back in to land. As I flew in it was behaving erratically and about 1/4 of the way up the beach it wouldn’t come any closer. I lowered it into a hover just above head hight then as I began to run down the beach towards where it was hovering I could see something dangling from it. It turns out it had been hooked by a young lad fishing! He had cast his line just as I was nearing the beach and the spin to the left I had seen was the initial impact.

I was annoyed by the kids dad though as he ran towards where my drone was hovering and got there just before I did and he ignored my shouts to leave it alone and not touch it (I wanted to hand catch it rather than risk a landing with loose fishing line wrapped around it) and instead he chose to try to extract the fishing line in the hover. As it was looped around a motor he managed to stall a prop and send it crashing down on its back on the pebbles.

Miraculously no harm was done - not even a mark! After untangling it and giving it a good check over and testing the systems as best I could from the app, I was able to take off again and follow the speedboat as it sped away from the shore again! Needless to say when I approached the shore again I did so at a much higher altitude before descending vertically to my landing site. The young lad who had hooked it came over and we chatted about it for a couple of minutes and I shared with him the footage of him hooking it.

It could have been much worse - I’m amazed and very lucky that the fishing line didn’t stall a prop over the sea and if the dad had cut himself on the props from his own stupidity and ignoring my shouts not to touch it I could have been in trouble. A number of lessons were learned that day...

You probably weren't following the UK drone code, 50m above and 50m away from people ;)

View attachment 112134
Actually I was. I was at least 50m above the beach on the way out and there weren’t many people on the beach at that spot. I was lower over the sea but was careful to make sure I didn’t approach any person or the boat within that distance until I realised something was wrong and then it was a question of ditch in the sea and lose a £1000 drone I couldn’t afford to replace or to bring it back as high as I could and as far from people as I could. Obviously I was limited by the length of fishing line connecting me to the lad’s fishing rod at that point...

Last edited:
Very lucky escape. I believe you can take off and land 30m from people, however I like to be a footie pitch away. Preferably no people in sight. At least you got the chance to learn from your experience. Some fishermen can cast well over 100m when Sea fishing, so your experience enlightens us all to the risks. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: hiflyer201
footie pitch away.
I just learned what that word "Pitch" meant yesterday. I'd never heard it used here in the U.S. ...I have a really hard time trying to read a British sports page for the same reason. Articles on Speedway, Motocross, and Horse Racing might as well be from a different planet.
But I agree for sure..A footie pitch is a good distance to be when flying..or at least launching ?

I just learned what that word "Pitch" meant yesterday. I'd never heard it used here in the U.S. ...I have a really hard time trying to read a British sports page for the same reason. Articles on Speedway, Motocross, and Horse Racing might as well be from a different planet.
But I agree for sure..A footie pitch is a good distance to be when flying..or at least launching ?
I think we have the most confusing Language in the World sometimes:)

Sorry forgot to reply to your post direct, following the information in the last post. This was taken from the CAA website. As above.

Hmmm... But as soon as you're airborne (and before you can fly away), you’re then within 50m of them which is technically illegal.

Last edited:
Hmmm... But as soon as you're airborne (and before you can fly away), you’re then within 50m of them which is technically illegal.
Yep. I can understand the landing part because people could suddenly walk towards you as you're landing. Or an emergency could require landing short of the target area. The take off part makes no sense at all. As you say, once airborne, you are 20m too close.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair