DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Near Death Experience

Lister

Reactions
I was flying from an open field, right at the edge of the forest on my first away-from-home flight when I nearly lost my Mini 2. I launched from an open field, right at the edge of the forest. My mistake was assuming that the Mini 2 was still straight above me, right where I launched. My flight path was not where I ASSumed it was. This little a/c is impossible to see and I ignored that fact.

Fortunately, I recovered without issue, but descending without clear knowledge of what's below is a classic pilot error.

Strobe and mounting clip ordered.

Good lesson learned. Always look down before you try that. Just to see where you are on your screen. Had to learn it the hard way and
took several times to remember that. Might mess up your shot but
you can cut it out in post and put a transition there. Better safe than sorry. Is great you didn’t have to climb a tree to get it.
Been there ?

Oh "deary deary me" when those branches came into shot. You were lucky!
The plane formed by the trees cutting off the bottom of the mountains was an very nice effect. The gimbal's quick up and down button of the Phantoms is very handy for checking what is below the drone, does the mini2 have a customisable button that could be set to that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh "deary deary me" when those branches came into shot. You were lucky?
The plane formed by the trees cutting off the bottom of the mountains was an very nice effect. The gimbal's quick up and down button of the Phantoms is very handy for checking what is below the drone, does the mini2 have a customisable button that could be set to that?
Yes, the mini 2 has that same function, the camera can be customized for that use. It is one of my most frequently used features on the app.

Last edited:
Ever since I clipped a wire on the way down, about 10' away from me, I point the camera down and do at least one 360 before descending if anything I could hit is around! Glad you got a seriously awesome video out of it.

I was flying from an open field, right at the edge of the forest on my first away-from-home flight when I nearly lost my Mini 2. I launched from an open field, right at the edge of the forest. My mistake was assuming that the Mini 2 was still straight above me, right where I launched. My flight path was not where I ASSumed it was. This little a/c is impossible to see and I ignored that fact.
Oh holy smoke that was really very close man! The same happened to my mini2! And I also was lucky that the Mini didn´t "kiss" any trees ?
happy flying and merry Christmas ?
Paul

Reactions: Chicoutay Frimas
A great reminder to lookout below. Well done. Both minis are really hard to spot due to their small size especially for my aging eyes. Just ordered the MAS orange props for my MA2. On my original Mavic the orange props made a big difference.
Merry Christmas to everyone.
Bill

Lesson learned, capabilities realized.
(I could tell you about a ‘real’ near death as a result of misdiagnoses by ER 2x in 2 days time! Obviously, I survived!)

Seasons Greetings to All

Here’s hoping Santa is kind to you.

Oh holy smoke that was really very close man! The same happened to my mini2! And I also was lucky that the Mini didn´t "kiss" any trees ?
happy flying and merry Christmas ?
Paul
I have experienced this with a lot of my aircraft.Nasty when those trees follow you.I had a powerline attack my Mavic Pro2.Evil.

I wish the MM did lol
So the mini 1 doesn't have C1 or C2 switches on back, or that isn't one of the options? I'm with the others I have had that option on for the 4+ years I have been flying my DJI's and use it every darn flight ;) I like how DJI evolved it's systems that even when you "Snap" down to view down, when it lands it rolls the camera up automatically to protect the lens :)

Indeed no switches on the back of the MM controller, my fingers are wearing holes in the rear case searching for them lol. The auto roll up is good, I can't remember if the P3adv does it

I finally gathered up enough courage to return to where I nearly lost my Mini 2 in the forest. I just barely got there in time.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good 2021 !

Reactions: joeMM
Indeed no switches on the back of the MM controller, my fingers are wearing holes in the rear case searching for them lol. The auto roll up is good, I can't remember if the P3adv does it
P3A does not. It doesn't really need to as it has decent clearance. But then I have landing legs and a gimbal protecting crossbar on mine.

The M2Z/P does though.

2 important things mentioned here. First as most of us know VLOS is just bogus as these small drone get lost almost immediately. Also it's important to use the radar screen to verify location as again the drone is visually gone until it's right on top of you and within 100 feet. This is why I only use Litchi as it have a very nice flight path indicator that will always tell you exactly where you are at all times. Unfortunately not yet ready for the MA2 or Mini2

Fortunately, I recovered without issue, but descending without clear knowledge of what's below is a classic pilot error.

Strobe and mounting clip ordered.

Who almost died?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78