DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A new drone pilot seeking help/advice

JTM0ney99

Reactions
I have been very excited for many years to get a drone. Well, my wonderful wife gave a great Christmas surprise - a Mavic Air 2.

But, as we all have discovered, flying a more advanced drone brings more regulation which can be a good thing. For this new pilot, the few hours I have spent trying to understand my local regulations have been aggravating. It is like learning new language. I have turned to YouTube videos for answers, but the videos I have watched don't fully answer my question.

With this said, my home in Utah (USA) is on the edge of a military restricted fly zone. I have looked forward to taking simple videos of neighborhood parties, my kids playing basketball in the street, and some backyard activities. Top elevation would 150' maximum. The area a flight radius would be less 1/4 mile.

I have registered my drone, placed the FAA number on the side, and am looking forward to the flights. Before I launched, I did a check on the b4ufly app. This is where I discovered the restriction. The app displays the following:
- a yellow caution symbol
- gives the area R-6412C
- states that is a "Special Use Airspace Type Restricted"
- effective by NOTAM
- the GMT offset time
- Level: Low Altitude Only
- Contact FAA

There is a "?" in the top right hand corner I click on, but this is when my confusion begins. The "?" brings me to a page full of links. Remember, I am new to this, so I have to research most acronyms, try and figure how to ask if I can fly my drone in this area (with authorization), sift through the links, read many pages hoping to get a directed answer, and well, it's the government so it shouldn't make sense. Long explanation, I know.

I have started to create an authorization on Dronezone, but end up getting very frustrated, and start reading more websites
- Will I need authorization?
- Who do I contact to get my my flight privileges authorized?
- Will I need my 107 license and an additional waiver?
- What class is my airspace? C?
- Is this area being overseen by LAANC?
- How do I determine my "proposed area of operation?"
- How simple can I make my description of proposed operation? I am not very well versed in FAA speech and acronyms.
- My radius on nanometers?

As you can see this noob just needs some help to get started. If anyone seasoned in fly zone regulations can help this noobie, I would so greatly appreciate it. I am only trying to determine if I can fly and how to get authorization (if needed).

Thank you for the help.

The simple answer is situational awareness. You as a pilot can fly, but must be very cautious. Check sectional map. Can tell you what hours military operations take place.

Have fun. Fly safe!!

B4UFly shows a representation of the facilities map if you're in controlled airspace. It is in controlled airspace that you need LAANC authorization to be legal. You need Kittyhawk or Airmap app to submit LAANC requests.

To protect you, sometimes overly cautious, DJI incorporated geofencing.
Red areas you can't fly.
Blue areas called authorization zones you can fly but need to unlock through specific steps. However it's probably an authorization zone because it's a runway approach path or an area around a very busy airport. Right now just avoid blue zones until you understand your drone, airspace, and geofencing.
Orange-yellow enhanced warning zones you can unlock with a few checkboxes but find out why the zone is there.
Yellow warning zones will just put up a banner. Most of the time there are no issues in this zone. Probably an outskirt of an airport several miles out.

You can't take off in a blue or red zone.
If you fly into those zones, AC will stop at the border as if it were a wall.
If you manage to get yourself inside these zones in flight, the AC will land.

I have been very excited for many years to get a drone. Well, my wonderful wife gave a great Christmas surprise - a Mavic Air 2.

But, as we all have discovered, flying a more advanced drone brings more regulation which can be a good thing. For this new pilot, the few hours I have spent trying to understand my local regulations have been aggravating. It is like learning new language. I have turned to YouTube videos for answers, but the videos I have watched don't fully answer my question.

With this said, my home in Utah (USA) is on the edge of a military restricted fly zone. I have looked forward to taking simple videos of neighborhood parties, my kids playing basketball in the street, and some backyard activities. Top elevation would 150' maximum. The area a flight radius would be less 1/4 mile.

I have registered my drone, placed the FAA number on the side, and am looking forward to the flights. Before I launched, I did a check on the b4ufly app. This is where I discovered the restriction. The app displays the following:
- gives the area R-6412C
- effective by NOTAM
- the GMT offset time
- Contact FAA

There is a "?" in the top right hand corner I click on, but this is when my confusion begins. The "?" brings me to a page full of links. Remember, I am new to this, so I have to research most acronyms, try and figure how to ask if I can fly my drone in this area (with authorization), sift through the links, read many pages hoping to get a directed answer, and well, it's the government so it shouldn't make sense. Long explanation, I know.

I have started to create an authorization on Dronezone, but end up getting very frustrated, and start reading more websites
- How simple can I make my description of proposed operation? I am not very well versed in FAA speech and acronyms.

As you can see this noob just needs some help to get started. If anyone seasoned in fly zone regulations can help this noobie, I would so greatly appreciate it. I am only trying to determine if I can fly and how to get authorization (if needed).

Thank you for the help.
Hi JTMoney99,
You have a wonderful wife, as I do, and I can’t think of a better Christmas Gift ?.
You are headed in the right direction because you want to learn and you have a good attitude. At this point like all of us, you have more questions than answers. I would suggest two sources to help you the most. Greg at pilotinstitute.com will help you learn and fly safe. Also FAA safety.gov will be beneficial to your learning curve. Be patient, take your time, develop and use a checklist before each flight, respect your equipment, and educate yourself so you know exactly what class of airspace you are in whenever you launch your drone. This forum will help you with problems as you move forward . Good Luck.

Blue Skys and Happy Trails.
Bob
PS: I have attached a link below to Greg’s weekly update, January 15, 2021, which he puts out every Friday for the latest and greatest drone news. ➰

Last edited:
Thank you guys. So helpful and calming my moments of ignorant panic. Honestly, my biggest concern is protecting the rights of my fellow pilots. I didn't want to be "that guy" who helps create more regulations.

I've been out carefully flying near my home this morning. So much fun. Thanks again.

**what are the best sites to read or videos to watch explaining FAA regulations? I'm new to the forum. There may be links on this site.

Thank you guys. So helpful and calming my moments of ignorant panic. Honestly, my biggest concern is protecting the rights of my fellow pilots. I didn't want to be "that guy" who helps create more regulations.

I've been out carefully flying near my home this morning. So much fun. Thanks again.

**what are the best sites to read or videos to watch explaining FAA regulations? I'm new to the forum. There may be links on this site.
Try FAA DroneZone... google will give you the link.

Reactions: JTM0ney99
Hi JTMoney99,
You have a wonderful wife, as I do, and I can’t think of a better Christmas Gift ?.
You are headed in the right direction because you want to learn and you have a good attitude. At this point like all of us, you have more questions than answers. I would suggest two sources to help you the most. Greg at pilotinstitute.com will help you learn and fly safe. Also FAA safety.gov will be beneficial to your learning curve. Be patient, take your time, develop and use a checklist before each flight, respect your equipment, and educate yourself so you know exactly what class of airspace you are in whenever you launch your drone. This forum will help you with problems as you move forward . Good Luck.

Bob
PS: I have attached a link below to Greg’s weekly update, January 15, 2021, which he puts out every Friday for the latest and greatest drone news. ➰

Hi JTMoney99,

Bob

Thank you B52-D. I'm going to watch this video now. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Reactions: B52-D

- gives the area R-6412C
- effective by NOTAM
- the GMT offset time
- Contact FAA

Thank you for the help.
If you check your area on the faa website for local flight events and safety tips and training someone from a flight school or an faa volunteer safety team member can walk you through the frustration.

Reactions: JTM0ney99
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys