DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A nightmare in the Catskill mountains..NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that stupid the way people get mad that's a bunch of bull they don't get mad when a jet goes over but when we fly I drones they all get mad

A week ago my family and i flew the NYC Coop for some fresh air and mountain lakes

I found a spot off a very lightly traveled road off Rt. 28 that is a local park

This was last week...it was dusk..a HUGE beautiful moon hanging in the sky and i am up a couple hundred feet taking it all in

As i am filming and enjoying myself + i notice 2 people sliding down the side of the road and coming towards me

I am always happy to see people watch me and answer questions and as they come closer i see angry faces

One man was in his 30's and there was smoke coming out of his ears...the other was an older man with the same attitude

At first i thought they would ask questions about flying but their only motivation was to threaten me about "flyin over MY property "

Do you have a camera in that thing ?

I responded honestly and both of them started in with me..Who gives you the right to invade my personal property ?

YOU are up to no good etc on and on and i am responding that i have no ill will or intent in my flying near their homes

The Younger one...ITCHING to fight starts to ask me for my name...he is in my face and smoke is rising from his head getting angrier by the minute

I try to keep cool but i am outnumbered...i am in my late 60's and this kid wants a piece of my ***

after a few insanely tense minutes this Psycho P.O.S. Hillbilly looks me in the eye...6 inches from my face...if i see that thing over my house again i will get my shotgun and take it down...DO YOU HEAR ME ?

Totally messed up my few days there...i did fly and film over a small lake and found some beautiful areas there but i was off...upset and ANGRY...Thinking of how i SHOULD have reacted...all a fantasy///

What would be the result of engaging him ?...all bad and negative ones and POLICE...I Swallowed deeply and i TRY to let it go..but a week later and i am still having trouble with it all
Folks like that aren't worth your time.

it's possilble they were involved in illegal activities, substance abusers, or generally paranoid people who imagine they are being watched all the time.i've had a few experiences like that when i've been photographing in public and someone who is super aggressive and psychotic wants to cause trouble. you did the right thing to diffuse the situation

IMHO, always CCW wherever and whenever you can!
Also... do your absolute best to avoid conflict....
you should have apologized to these two inbreds, promised to delete the video and been on your way!
You were outnumbered...by a younger man as mentioned prolly enjoys fighting and only sees his friends when he is in a concrete 8 x 10 box.
Allowing people to think you are leaving, tail between your legs allows them to feel like "Winners"... when in actual fact, you are saving their lives by doing so!

Reactions: TheWolfen
I guess I have just been lucky. I have never really had any push back from individuals. I follow all the part 107 regs the best I can. I tend to fly in places with little or no people. If do want to fly over a more busy area, I try Saturdays and Sunday around sun up to about 9 AM. Most people I do run into just want to ask the usual questions and thinks it cool.

I do understand how that must have made you feel. You did however make the right judgement. I would have probably ended up buried in the woods somewhere up on rt. 28. I know that road well...

A week ago my family and i flew the NYC Coop for some fresh air and mountain lakes

I found a spot off a very lightly traveled road off Rt. 28 that is a local park

This was last week...it was dusk..a HUGE beautiful moon hanging in the sky and i am up a couple hundred feet taking it all in

As i am filming and enjoying myself + i notice 2 people sliding down the side of the road and coming towards me

I am always happy to see people watch me and answer questions and as they come closer i see angry faces

One man was in his 30's and there was smoke coming out of his ears...the other was an older man with the same attitude

At first i thought they would ask questions about flying but their only motivation was to threaten me about "flyin over MY property "

Do you have a camera in that thing ?

I responded honestly and both of them started in with me..Who gives you the right to invade my personal property ?

YOU are up to no good etc on and on and i am responding that i have no ill will or intent in my flying near their homes

The Younger one...ITCHING to fight starts to ask me for my name...he is in my face and smoke is rising from his head getting angrier by the minute

I try to keep cool but i am outnumbered...i am in my late 60's and this kid wants a piece of my ***

after a few insanely tense minutes this Psycho P.O.S. Hillbilly looks me in the eye...6 inches from my face...if i see that thing over my house again i will get my shotgun and take it down...DO YOU HEAR ME ?

Totally messed up my few days there...i did fly and film over a small lake and found some beautiful areas there but i was off...upset and ANGRY...Thinking of how i SHOULD have reacted...all a fantasy///

What would be the result of engaging him ?...all bad and negative ones and POLICE...I Swallowed deeply and i TRY to let it go..but a week later and i am still having trouble with it all
You did well. Get the gun license and carry one.

I guess I have just been lucky. I have never really had any push back from individuals. I follow all the part 107 regs the best I can. I tend to fly in places with little or no people. If do want to fly over a more busy area, I try Saturdays and Sunday around sun up to about 9 AM. Most people I do run into just want to ask the usual questions and thinks it cool.

I do understand how that must have made you feel. You did however make the right judgement. I would have probably ended up buried in the woods somewhere up on rt. 28. I know that road well...
This made me think of the movie Deliverance.

On behalf of everyone in the area I apologize profusely. I live in Woodstock and you’re more than welcome to fly here. I’ll show you around.
as numerous people have noted, I think it’s more than likely you stumbled upon a meth lab. Email the footage to the State Police Kingston barracks and the Shandaken police and you won’t have to worry about a thing. In fact tou can pat yourself on the back for helping law enforcement.
I had a similar encounter 2 weeks ago flying over Wyndcliffe Mansion in Rhinecliff. (Google it. I don’t want to encourage trespassers but this place is a treasure). A very angry man tried to stop me and said I was flying over his property (not true) and committing the federal offense of harming migratory turkey vultures (again not true). I gave the guy my FAA registration number and told him to a call the FAA on me. I also told him I’d gladly wait while he called the cops. A Dutchess County Sheriff deputy showed up. I showed him my footage. He was satisfied I wasn’t a pervert looking through people’s windows and politely told the property owner to go pound sand.
I never heard anything further, nor did I hear from the FAA. If they have a beef with you, they’ll call.

Reactions: Thomas B
"Courage is being scared of getting your *** kicked but saddling up anyway"
John Wayne

You did well. Get the gun license and carry one.

And that would make you twice the *****

who does? Are you talking about my family?!
You wanna go? ;)

Deescalation was the best choice.

They are ignorant of what you are doing and are overreacting. There was no reasoning with them and, like you said, being outnumbered would have meant a for sure fight loss.

Going home with your face and drone intact was the best possible outcome.

Yes it is Mr Salty.
After reading all this thread I can't believe all the violence some of you guys speak of
Well it's not going to carry on in this thread as I believe you all have pretty much covered it.
That is not what this forum is about and it stops here .
Also it wouldn't hurt for a few of you to re read our guidelines on language .
This thread is..

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov