DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A quick active track MTB test

Chasing Light & Shadows

Reactions
Lads holiday MTBing in Wales and Hereford. The drone was following great until the end of the video until the riders go behind the tree and it lost them, bit of a poor show there as it wasn't exactly for long, I thought it was supposed to be able to handle that sort of thing. Needs more testing, only had it a few days.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

lol. where is that AI/Mega intuitive stuff that made tracking 2.0 soooo advertised by DJI? "predicting the future movements".
IMHO i see a fail, sorry ... :(

lol. where is that AI/Mega intuitive stuff that made tracking 2.0 soooo advertised by DJI? "predicting the future movements".
IMHO i see a fail, sorry ... :(

Yeah it was pretty rubbish to be honest, the active track gave up a few times when they went behind various sized trees, this particular one was barely a bush! I'm impressed with it whilst it was tracking ok though, just a bit hit and miss on occasions. As with everything, need to get the knack of it and test the limits.

Beyond not losing sight of the subject, considering all the hype an rumor and all the orgasmic testers of this feature, i was expecting a CINEMATIC tracking, not this mumble - fast forward-stop calibration.
i have a MP, dji is the best on drones, but most of the times the reviews are pretty inaccurrate. they want to make you think what a marvel you bought, but no one talks about all the errors and nasty stuff you will get. I salute you/and all of us for putting the things were they belong

Reactions: Trees138
To be fair the riders weren't very contrasty or colorful, and most likely it was trying to follow one of the similar group of three.
Do agree the movements are often far from as smooth as you'd like, resulting in a lot of rather poor footage.

I've not seen that "predict future motion of object behind obstruction" actually work yet, perhaps DJI hasn't enabled it for production firmware/software yet?

Tried it with the drone tracking just me, me on a bright yellow, very "contrasty" quad bike and me in a white ute, all against dark backgrounds. Each and every time the drone would display the blue ? mark where I disappeared, but made no attempt to keep panning through my extrapolated trajectory....

Having said that, when the drone can see me, the tracking has been stellar, especially in the profile submode. Can't speak for the mavic 1, but it's leagues ahead of the original P4 in both smoothness and tracking speed.

To be fair the riders weren't very contrasty or colorful, and most likely it was trying to follow one of the similar group of three.
Do agree the movements are often far from as smooth as you'd like, resulting in a lot of rather poor footage.

I dunno, I thought it was a fair test as the rider it was following had a yellow pack on and on other occasions it was following on of the red pack guys and it lost them. I can see why it's not smooth as the riders are changing speed and movement quite a bit, I'm sure if it was a bigger target and the drone was higher then it would appear smoother. I tried it at a higher altitude but it wouldn't lock on for long. Works better for cars from what I've seen.

Reactions: steviedsolve
I've not seen that "predict future motion of object behind obstruction" actually work yet, perhaps DJI hasn't enabled it for production firmware/software yet?

Tried it with the drone tracking just me, me on a bright yellow, very "contrasty" quad bike and me in a white ute, all against dark backgrounds. Each and every time the drone would display the blue ? mark where I disappeared, but made no attempt to keep panning through my extrapolated trajectory....

Having said that, when the drone can see me, the tracking has been stellar, especially in the profile submode. Can't speak for the mavic 1, but it's leagues ahead of the original P4 in both smoothness and tracking speed.

Interesting, there's definitely a lot of work to be done to refine this feature. It's good to know the limits and work around them.

Beyond not losing sight of the subject, considering all the hype an rumor and all the orgasmic testers of this feature, i was expecting a CINEMATIC tracking, not this mumble - fast forward-stop calibration.
i have a MP, dji is the best on drones, but most of the times the reviews are pretty inaccurrate. they want to make you think what a marvel you bought, but no one talks about all the errors and nasty stuff you will get. I salute you/and all of us for putting the things were they belong

I've yet to really try this feature in the wild, but just tracking myself walking a bit.... yeah, the best way I can describe it is erratic. At the end of the day, it works for the most part, and it track me better than any other flying semi autonomous camera I own at the moment... so it's not a fail, just not GREAT.

As for reviewers and vloggers... yeah... you can only expect so much from them in terms of accuracy, they want to keep getting invited for the newest products so they have new content, so they can persist. I can't blame them and just treat them as independent advertisements.

a little off topic here:
i am a member for 2 years at phantompilots. i had a ps3, and 4 months ago i bought a mavic pro. I read reviews and impressions, but didn't quite actually entered here to see the clear bugs. i really thought and read of it as being close to perfection. now that i bought it, i can say that i like it, but it's quite as bugged as my old p3s.

almost on topic: regarding MP2, ok, nice upgrades and so on, but my huge expectations were in terms of flight time. i mean, i hoped for let's say 40 mins. 1 minute improvement it's kinda lame...:(. now i'm waiting for amateurish nigh photos to see if the camera it's a mega fast forward, as the MPro pictures are more like mobile phone created ones.

sorry, i don't want to hurt the feelings of the MP2 buyers, but i'm still very disappointed with this release, as it feels more like MP1.5.
and now seeing that the "small big improvements" really don't work as advertised...

Give it time, we're not even on a 1.0.1 "bugfix" firmware yet. Comparing the current state of the mavic 1 to the mavic 2 isn't entirely fair either, since the former has had a couple of years worth of firmware / software additions, fixes and refinements.

I feel you might of had greater success If the drone was a little higher. In the end when It lost the riders it did not have full view of the curve Road. If higher It might have been able to calculate.

I feel you might of had greater success If the drone was a little higher. In the end when It lost the riders it did not have full view of the curve Road. If higher It might have been able to calculate.

Possibly, although I tried it higher the previous day and it kept losing the lock on even out in the open, think it just needed a bigger target to track. Just need to work out the limits and the parameters it's most happy within.

Reactions: Larry Gibson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916