DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Rough Introduction to Litchi

Aldread

Reactions
Last weekend I was flying in Appalachia at my buddy's cabin. The first day went great, the second day my devices (Galaxy 8+ and Samsung tab 2) refused to connect to the drone. On further inspection I determined that the drone needed a firmware upgrade. :( Not easy when you're miles from the internet!

I had the brilliant idea of driving far enough to receive internet, install Litchi on my phone, problem solved!

When I launched to drone with Litchi, it was very unstable. I went up 20 feet or so and tried to land it. It was pretty much unresponsive. I got constant disconnected messages. With difficulty I was able to "only" crash the drone into the bumper of my car. Aside from prop damage the drone seems to be ok. I subsequently flew the drone with the RC only without issue.

Did I not do something I should have done before using Litchi? I cleared the GO4 defaults before I started. Now I'm afraid to try Litchi again!

Last edited:
I haven't used Litchi, but it would be good to understand why you needed a firmware update to proceed. I didn't think any (recently) were mandatory. I recall with the ios update, there was a GO4 compatibility issue. Did your devices get some upgrade in between first and second day?

App disconnects? Probably the device, or the cord to the device.
Remote control disconnects would be a different story.

I haven't used Litchi, but it would be good to understand why you needed a firmware update to proceed. I didn't think any (recently) were mandatory. I recall with the ios update, there was a GO4 compatibility issue. Did your devices get some upgrade in between first and second day?

It was the drone requesting (demanding) the latest firmware update.

I did the firmware update when I got home and all was swell!

App disconnects? Probably the device, or the cord to the device.
Remote control disconnects would be a different story.

I'm wondering if I neglected to remove the case from the phone, it's really thin but it can affect the connection...

It was the drone requesting (demanding) the latest firmware update.
I did the firmware update when I got home and all was swell!

Yeah, the firmware is associated with the drone, I just meant the only thing close to mandatory was a GO4 ios issue.

Maybe when you did it at home you also inadvertently got the cord issue (if there was one) fixed too. I guess I'm just real curious about being forced to update, and probably would help give you peace of mind you wouldn't be stuck in that situation again.

Yeah, the firmware is associated with the drone, I just meant the only thing close to mandatory was a GO4 ios issue.

Maybe when you did it at home you also inadvertently got the cord issue (if there was one) fixed too. I guess I'm just real curious about being forced to update, and probably would help give you peace of mind you wouldn't be stuck in that situation again.

I was definitely forced to upgrade, but I might have screwed up with the phone case. I'll try Litchi tomorrow!

You need to set the AC up with Go4. Then use Litchi. Litchi will use the settings in the AC, set up by Go4.

Reactions: CynicalZombie
How does the drone know there is a required firmware update? If one were miles from no where on an extended trip with the Mavic and there was no internet connection for a month or more, is there a way to keep the drone or the phone software from knowing that updates are available (or required), or is there something like a timer in the programming that will disable functions unless the check for updated firmware/software is done at certain intervals or by specific dates?

How does the drone know there is a required firmware update? If one were miles from no where on an extended trip with the Mavic and there was no internet connection for a month or more, is there a way to keep the drone or the phone software from knowing that updates are available (or required), or is there something like a timer in the programming that will disable functions unless the check for updated firmware/software is done at certain intervals or by specific dates?

The updates are not forced or mandatory. Many are running older versions of firmware.

What about the batteries needing a firmware update? When I got my MPP I updated everything (or so I thought) and went out to fly. When I put in the second battery it complained about the firmware not being compatible and needing to be updated. I updated and went back to flying. I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall concluding that each battery needed to be updated. Might explain this incident.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
survey-rich