DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Tale of Two Drones

Chaosrider

Reactions
Drone A:

Yesterday a friend of mine told me that she wants to get her son a drone for Christmas. She wants a camera and GPS stabilization, but not top end. She said she wants to spend $200-250.

What are some good options to consider? And along these lines, is there a side-by-side comparison somewhere of the features of the Mini-2 and the Mini-SE?

Drone B:

I've applied for a promotion at work, and if I get it, I'm going to want to make a step up from my Mini-2s. The main features that I want to add are waypoint flight plans, and FPV capability.

Suggestions?

And related to that, how much could I get by trading in a Mini-2 More Fly Combo? No damage or crash on the drone since a DJI Refresh!

Thx!

TCS

Reactions: Droniac
Drone A:

Yesterday a friend of mine told me that she wants to get her son a drone for Christmas. She wants a camera and GPS stabilization, but not top end. She said she wants to spend $200-250.

What are some good options to consider? And along these lines, is there a side-by-side comparison somewhere of the features of the Mini-2 and the Mini-SE?

Drone B:

I've applied for a promotion at work, and if I get it, I'm going to want to make a step up from my Mini-2s. The main features that I want to add are waypoint flight plans, and FPV capability.

Suggestions?

And related to that, how much could I get by trading in a Mini-2 More Fly Combo? No damage or crash on the drone since a DJI Refresh!

Thx!

TCS
In response to drone B, I’d go with an Air 2s or the Mavic 3 when it comes out in a few days. I’ve noticed that with trade ins, you’ll rarely get the true value of a drone. I’d advise to just put it up on auction on eBay.

HolyStone HS720E isn't bad. I have the older 2.7k camera variant, but they now have a 4k camera with image stabilization.

The HS720E has nice features, though camera mount is only rudimentary rotation downward, but other than flight video being a bit more jumpy than what a gimbal offers. The electronic stabilization helps.

They have other models. The 720 is foldable, nice camera, and comes with a couple of batteries.

Negatives? Limited flight time - about 20 minutes per battery; No gimbal stabilization - not going to make premium video from it; range is somewhat limited - but helps to keep your son flying legally (an advantage, really).

Cheers.

Last edited:
For drone B -- reconsider FPV. That will force you into flying only when you have a good friend standing beside you watching you have fun. In the US, you can't fly FPV without a spotter standing next to you.

In response to drone B, I’d go with an Air 2s or the Mavic 3 when it comes out in a few days. I’ve noticed that with trade ins, you’ll rarely get the true value of a drone. I’d advise to just put it up on auction on eBay.
Yeah, I sort of expected that.

I should really just build a Drone Colony in this area, and sell it at a fair price to someone looking to move up from a cheap trainer!

Can both the Air 2s and the Mavic 3 do real FPV and waypoint flight planning? Those are the two specific features that I really want in my upgrade.

Obstacle avoidance would be nice, but I figure I've whacked into enough stuff already that I've paid my dues in that regard!

;-)

Thx,

TCS

HolyStone HS720E isn't bad. I have the older 2.7k camera variant, but they now have a 4k camera with image stabilization.

The HS720E has nice features, though camera mount is only rudimentary rotation downward, but other than flight video being a bit more jumpy than what a gimbal offers. The electronic stabilization helps.

They have other models. The 720 is foldable, nice camera, and comes with a couple of batteries.

Negatives? Limited flight time - about 20 minutes per battery; No gimbal stabilization - not going to make premium video from it; range is somewhat limited - but helps to keep your son flying legally (an advantage, really).

Cheers.
I'd really prefer a full gimbal, if I can get that for my A person in her $200-250 price range. My first trainer drone was a Snaptain S5C, which was a perfectly good first trainer, but the jumpiness of the video was disappointing.

Thx,

TCS

For drone B -- reconsider FPV. That will force you into flying only when you have a good friend standing beside you watching you have fun. In the US, you can't fly FPV without a spotter standing next to you.
Yes, that's the plan.

I can certainly fly it in non-FPV mode when I'm by myself, but if having the FPV available inspires me to expand my circle of physical friends...nothing wrong with that!

:)

Thx,

TCS

I should really just build a Drone Colony in this area, and sell it at a fair price to someone looking to move up from a cheap trainer!

Can both the Air 2s and the Mavic 3 do real FPV and waypoint flight planning? Those are the two specific features that I really want in my upgrade.

Obstacle avoidance would be nice, but I figure I've whacked into enough stuff already that I've paid my dues in that regard!

;-)

Thx,

TCS
I’m pretty sure that they both/will both have waypoint flight planning although you might need an app like Litchi but I’m not entirely sure. If you mean FPV as in you can see what’s on the camera as the drone flies then yes, they both have FPV capabilities.

For drone b, I would want to get an Air2s, but today it does not have waypoint missions. When it comes to buying something for an employer I feel you have to make the best decision based on what’s available on the day you have to buy.

Today that would be a Mavic 2, will M3 have waypoints right away?

In my opinion for business you have to decide on current facts. Expectations are pretty slippery when it comes to new tech releases.

Last edited:
I really doubt there will ever be native waypoints for the Air 2S. There will be virtual sticks whenever the SDK is released through a 3rd party app. The Mavic 3 would be an enormous price jump from the Mini 2. As far as FPV, that is a different type of drone for true FPV(flips and dives and all) doubtful you would find 1 aircraft that does both other than in a very rudimentary way for one or the other.

;-)

Thx,

TCS
Do not buy a drone without waypoints. I have an Air 2S and not having waypoints is the reason I'm looking for a different drone!

I really doubt there will ever be native waypoints for the Air 2S. There will be virtual sticks whenever the SDK is released through a 3rd party app. The Mavic 3 would be an enormous price jump from the Mini 2. As far as FPV, that is a different type of drone for true FPV(flips and dives and all) doubtful you would find 1 aircraft that does both other than in a very rudimentary way for one or the other.
So, the DJI FPV can't do waypoints? That would be unfortunate. If I have to choose between the two, I'll go for the FPV. But since the cost of the FPV means I'm going to put it off for many months, perhaps the waypoint capability will materialize by then!

Thx,

TCS

Do not buy a drone without waypoints. I have an Air 2S and not having waypoints is the reason I'm looking for a different drone!
It would be extremely useful. I hope the FPV can do waypoints by the time that I can afford to buy it!

TCS

The air 2 has waypoints with litchi but costs 900$, the mini 2 doesn't have waypoints but there are rumors it will start supporting litchi in january of 2022 which will have waypoints, but this is not sure

So, the DJI FPV can't do waypoints? That would be unfortunate. If I have to choose between the two, I'll go for the FPV. But since the cost of the FPV means I'm going to put it off for many months, perhaps the waypoint capability will materialize by then!

Thx,

TCS
FPV is not really made for waypoints, it is a very maneuverable and responsive drone for flying acrobatics.
The same reason there were differences between bombers and fighters, one is stable and solid to deliver ordinance accurately to the ground, the other is inherently unstable because it makes a better air to air platform (especially a gun platform) because it can fly one direction but point it's nose (gun) in another to bring it's gun to bear on target. (Maybe less of an analogy nowadays because of guided munitions)
It's also similar to how sports cars are usually twitchy on the steering whereas a big SUV is more stable.
The FPVs are the sports car and the camera drones are the SUVs.

The air 2 has waypoints with litchi but costs 900$, the mini 2 doesn't have waypoints but there are rumors it will start supporting litchi in january of 2022 which will have waypoints, but this is not sure
I hope that happens.

After the financial hit from my new computer, I won't be getting my next drone until months after that anyway, so there's no cost to waiting to find out!

:)

Thx,

TCS

FPV is not really made for waypoints, it is a very maneuverable and responsive drone for flying acrobatics.
The same reason there were differences between bombers and fighters, one is stable and solid to deliver ordinance accurately to the ground, the other is inherently unstable because it makes a better air to air platform (especially a gun platform) because it can fly one direction but point it's nose (gun) in another to bring it's gun to bear on target. (Maybe less of an analogy nowadays because of guided munitions)
It's also similar to how sports cars are usually twitchy on the steering whereas a big SUV is more stable.
The FPVs are the sports car and the camera drones are the SUVs.
OK, that's interesting.

In my ground-life I've owned a number of SUVs, and never owned a sports car. I like vehicles that I can step up into, rather slither down into, and then have to crawl back out of!

What I'm looking for is an FPV experience where I can convince myself that I *AM* the drone. I'm a published science fiction author, so my imagination should be up to the task! I'm not really interested in doing radical maneuvers, although the aerobatics course that I took in my Part 61 life was a hoot.

Still, if I get an FPV, and it has that capability, I'm sure I'd ooze into it eventually...

What I'd really like to do is demo one. Anybody in the Reno-Carson-Tahoe area here, who has an FPV they'd be willing to let me demo? I have a cool place that you can fly from...

;-)

TCS

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I bought a Hubsan GPS drone for $200. On its first day it decided that its ‘return to home’ was still in China and flew off over the forest never to be seen again. The $399 original DJI mini refurbished flymore combo that replaced it has had few issues. And it knows where it lives.

While perhaps not impossible...I don't think it is reasonable to do waypoints and FPV on the same piece of equipment. As others have already said, those are two completely different things. Opposite ends of the spectrum. One twitchy and one stable. If you get some sort of "hybrid", it is unlikely that it will do either one well. My never to be humble opinion is if you want to fly FPV then you should get an FPV drone - either the DJI FPV or a "traditional" FPV quad. For waypoints, the stable crafts such as the Mavics (in various models) is a great choice.

I guess I'm just a believer in the right tool for the job. While you can drive a screw with a hammer...usually a screwdriver is a better choice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000