DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A tribute to my first camera

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

I was going through old files from the past and came across a lot of pictures I shot with my first camera; a SONY Cyber Shot DSC-P100.
1575105175398.png
I think I bought it in 2004, I know I joined the hobby late. I had always wanted a camera but growing up where I did, under the circumstances I did meant my means were not exactly on par with my wishes. I graduated from college in 2001 and got my first real job in 2003. I saved, I saved, and I saved even more and got this little beauty - and it oppened my eyes to the beauty of the world around me. It was what got me in to photography as a hobbyist and I immensely enjoyed the little thing. It was not the best of cameras, but it was so small I could take it with me everywhere and that meant something back then (before cell phones). It looks like I had a blast with it for four years and there are tons of pics in my old files. I lost it in 2008 and then I didn't buy another camera until 2012. But I hated this camera (it was one of Nikon's point and shoots - that is all I remebers about it and I gave it away not long after I bought it). I seem to have gradually dropped out of the hobby until I bought the MA at the beginning of this year. The MA of course immediately rekindled the passion I had for photography and I am now more in to the hobby than ever before. But this is not about you MA! This about my little SONY Cyber Shot - the one that got me in to this fantastic hobby! Here are a few pictures from this little beast. They were all shot on auto and saved as Jpegs (I knew absolutely nothing about photography back then - and I still don't know as much as I think I do). I gave them a little love in Light room. There are plenty of photographers here - What was your first camera? Do you have pictures from it? Let's all pay tribute to our first cameras!

DSC01348-2.jpgDSC09440-2.jpgDSC03993-2.jpgDSC03986-2.jpgDSC03983-2.jpgDSC02454-2.jpgDSC02573-2 (2).jpgDSC02513-2 (2).jpg

Little beast is right!
Nice photos, thinking the photographer may have some responsibility for the results as well.

great pics all of them, particularly like the butterfly ,the sun in the clouds ,and the last one the flower

Wow... photography has really progressed. And to think some of us had plastic fixed lens 120mm film cameras as our first (insert head covered with paper bag emojii here).

Good idea for a topic and I was thinking of the old digital cameras when I was watching this video about the old Sony Mavica (MAgnetic VIdeo CAmeras) which used floppy disks for storage:

The camera looks laughable now storing just 20 very low quality 640x480 images on a floppy disk which itself had very slow transfer speeds but my Mum's school had one at the time and it was incredible to be able to take photos and see them on the computer.

My first digital camera was a Fuji Finepix 1400z which I bought for Christmas in 2001, the Fuji was a 'compact' camera with a tiny 1/2.7in 1MP sensor and a 38-114mm zoom. Despite the sensor being smaller than most mobile phones and a small 3x zoom the camera was bulky primarily down to being powered by four AA batteries. Here are its spec compared to my current camera:

It's surprising how close they are on size and weight although that says more about how much they are able to pack into modern cameras.

The Fuji is a very special camera to me though as it started an interest in photography which carries on until today, I'd only bought it as I terribly missed my dog at university and could take more photos with me this way. I ended up using it far more than I expected and gradually upgraded over the years, the photos do look quite poor now but they're still pretty good compared to scanning in film photos.

One of the very first photos I took with the camera of Jake up out in the snow

DSCF0010-XL.jpg

Jake up at the Cairngorms, a mountain range south of where I live:

jakecairngorms3-XL.jpg

My first car a Rover Metro 1.1S which I probably did more miles in than any other car I've owned including far more comfortable and powerful models now:

Metroordhill2-XL.jpg

The actual model of the Devastator from the opening shot of Star Wars, I didn't like the harsh look of the flash so instead tried taking photos without it which looked good on the little low resolution screen. Only supporting iso 100 and with no stabilisation they looked awful afterwards:

DSCF0566-XL.jpg

Myself and Jake up at Rogie Falls, a scenic landmark near where I lived which Jake liked going to for a swim:

DSCF1108-X2.jpg

One of my last shots with the camera, Jake up at Rogie Falls:

DSCF1116-XL.jpg

And for comparison sake, this is the Mavic 2's view of Rogie falls, the bridge from above is around the centre of this picture:

PANO0001-Pano-52-X2.jpg

I sold the 1400z to a friend when I upgraded to the Fuji 4900z bridge camera and the 1400z sadly met its end in the humid climate of Guatemala.

You guys are way to young. Our first family camera was a brownie. I still remember burning my fingers changing the flashbulbs on the brownie. Then my uncle gave me two cameras he had stuffed in his closet. I couldn't even get film for the box cameras. The box cameras had two moving parts. The roller for the film and a lever for shutter. Had to pull pics from the internet because my shed burned in 1988 along with all three cameras.
.brownie camera.jpgansco.jpgkodak.jpg

I was thinking first digital camera, my actual cameras was a 110 film camera that I received free for opening a bank account in the 80's. I've hunted a fair bit and think this is the camera or the one I had was a clone of it:

This is the 110 film standard which was much smaller than the standard 35mm film size:

I never actually saw the pictures from this camera because that cost money and I didn't have much of that although the small film, fixed exposure and fixed focus lens meant the results would probably be poor.

My dad had a variety of film cameras and formats but it's the Pentax K-1000 I remember him having when I was a child:

My Mum bought a Boots compact film camera which seemed so cool for its zoom at the time, I had a hunt and it seems it was a rebadged Ricoh:

We can't really forget our first camera... I forget the name of it, I still hold it its beautiful to has it, hasn't it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga