DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 A Triptych of Multnomah Falls

AlanL

Premium Pilot
Reactions
A couple of weeks ago I was shooting ephemeral waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge and recorded a panorama sequence of Multnomah Falls that was a bit over the top. This is a stitch of 65 separate telephoto captures (13 frames with a 5 shot burst for each) covering Multnomah Falls from top to bottom. Interesting exercise but entirely impractical to display as an image at 3631x7100 pixels. It makes a ribbon that doesn't translate well to a computer monitor so I carved it up into 3 vertical panels to make a vertical triptych.

DJI_M3-162-Mult1pano.jpg
DJI_M3-162-Mult2pano.jpg
DJI_M3-162-Mult3pano.jpg

Comments and Critiques always welcome.

Last edited:
Very nicely done. The clarity of those images is impressive. Did you hold the drone altitude constant or ascend or descend as you took the photos? I think it might be interesting to see the entire image and scroll up and down to view it. But then, I'm a fan of panning around in good 360-degree images.

I'd never heard the term "ephemeral waterfalls," but it makes perfect sense if you have snow on the high ground. That looks like quite a volume of water flowing. Here on the Gulf coast we have little snow and the countryside is almost pool table flat, but we do have ephemeral ponds in the spring. They're key habitat for certain frogs and toads. Having the ponds dry up for most of the year eliminates fish and other predators that might feed on eggs and tadpoles.

EDIT: Is there a little gap in the continuity of the images? The falling water and trees don't quite seem to line up from one to another.

Reactions: AlanL
Very nicely done. The clarity of those images is impressive. Did you hold the drone altitude constant or ascend or descend as you took the photos? I think it might be interesting to see the entire image and scroll up and down to view it. But then, I'm a fan of panning around in good 360-degree images.

I'd never heard the term "ephemeral waterfalls," but it makes perfect sense if you have snow on the high ground. That looks like quite a volume of water flowing. Here on the Gulf coast we have little snow and the countryside is almost pool table flat, but we do have ephemeral ponds in the spring. They're key habitat for certain frogs and toads. Having the ponds dry up for most of the year eliminates fish and other predators that might feed on eggs and tadpoles.

EDIT: Is there a little gap in the continuity of the images? The falling water and trees don't quite seem to line up from one to another.

I did a quick hack of slicing this into 3 images and there is a slight overlap between the first two I noticed after I posted them. These are shot from a single altitude using the gimbal to get tops to bottom in the frame. I was just under 400' AGL so going up wasn't an option and dropping down would obscure the bridge in the bottom image.

Ephemeral waterfalls only flow when there has been a lot of rain and we have been getting quite a bit this spring. I shot this the day after some heavy rains and if we had 3 or 4 dry days in a row the small waterfall on the right at the top will go dry. The primary falls are spring fed and flow year round. This weekend is going to be one of the first dry warm (over 60º) weekends of spring so I suspect Multnomah Falls to be a madhouse of people.

Reactions: MS Coast
Nice images! Multnomah Falls is a challenge to capture due to the height and proximity of access.

I thought drones were prohibited everywhere near there. It would appear that you flew over the parking lot across the road for this. Is that outside of the no fly zone?

Nice images! Multnomah Falls is a challenge to capture due to the height and proximity of access.

I thought drones were prohibited everywhere near there. It would appear that you flew over the parking lot across the road for this. Is that outside of the no fly zone?

The No-Fly zone starts at the Union Pacific Rails and extends south to include a lot of the trails around the falls. I was out over the Columbia after launching from the Benson Recreation area. I used my 7x tele lens for this sequence after transiting the freeway. According to the USFS maps you could launch from the Multnomah parking lot but I have been parking and launching from Benson so I can also shoot Wahkeena Falls at the same time. The No-Fly zone still starts at the rails for Wahkeena as well.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
A couple of weeks ago I was shooting ephemeral waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge and recorded a panorama sequence of Multnomah Falls that was a bit over the top. This is a stitch of 65 separate telephoto captures (13 frames with a 5 shot burst for each) covering Multnomah Falls from top to bottom. Interesting exercise but entirely impractical to display as an image at 3631x7100 pixels. It makes a ribbon that doesn't translate well to a computer monitor so I carved it up into 3 vertical panels to make a vertical triptych.

View attachment 162935
View attachment 162936
View attachment 162937

Comments and Critiques always welcome.
Great shot(s). I have a 108" wide tryptych on the wall at home. Sent the 3 photos to be printed on canvas at 24X36 and they look great. You could do this vertically. This would be really impressive if you have a tall wall in your home. We have a cathedral ceiling and something like this would be perfect.

Great shot(s). I have a 108" wide tryptych on the wall at home. Sent the 3 photos to be printed on canvas at 24X36 and they look great. You could do this vertically. This would be really impressive if you have a tall wall in your home. We have a cathedral ceiling and something like this would be perfect.

Thanks - we do have cathedral ceilings and this might work quite well for that.

Awesome photos

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d