DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2CofC 2021 UK

malbowski85

Reactions
I'm using a mavic mini and want to get my A2CofC to be able to use it commercially. Where is the best place to do this for value mainly but also quality of content, delivery etc? I know a place near me does an online course (covid) for £250 but saw another for £99. What's the difference?

Just want to know if there's any obvious go to's that I should know about

Cheers

Used UAVHUB as well, they were very very good. Quite a few others
have used them on here as well and i've never heard a bad word about
them. I paid £99 and think it was well worth it.

@malbowski85 you do not need to do a course to fly your Mavic Mini commercially any more ,under the new rules, there is no longer any difference between commercial and hobbyist, with regards to making money with your drone ,you just need some sort of insurance cover for third party when you are flying ,this applies to all drones regardless of weight,as well as those under the 250g weight limit and for a two year transitional period a drone up to 500g as well ,if you want to fly a heavier drone such as a MA2 or M2P then you will need to have your A2 Cof C for the next two years to take advantage of reduced separation distances from uninvolved people, but you can still do commercial work with the heavier drones as well, this does not mean you should not advance your knowledge base ,by obtaining either the A2 C of C ,or the GVC ,i just wanted to point out that you do not have too, to fly commercially now,

@malbowski85 you do not need to do a course to fly your Mavic Mini commercially any more ,under the new rules, there is no longer any difference between commercial and hobbyist, with regards to making money with your drone ,you just need some sort of insurance cover for third party when you are flying ,this applies to all drones regardless of weight,as well as those under the 250g weight limit and for a two year transitional period a drone up to 500g as well ,if you want to fly a heavier drone such as a MA2 or M2P then you will need to have your A2 Cof C for the next two years to take advantage of reduced separation distances from uninvolved people, but you can still do commercial work with the heavier drones as well, this does not mean you should not advance your knowledge base ,by obtaining either the A2 C of C ,or the GVC ,i just wanted to point out that you do not have too, to fly commercially now,
It's a minefield. Or maybe I'm confusing information from before and after the turn of the year and the new regulations.
Oh really? Thanks for that. It's a minefield. Or maybe I'm just confusing information from before and after the new regulations. So what are the other benefits of taking the A2CofC other than limiting restrictions (which it turns out i dont need)??

I found the course content interesting and, as a new drone user, learnt quite a bit about the rules and safe flying conditions that I wouldn't have picked up otherwise.

Reactions: Physopto
It's a minefield. Or maybe I'm confusing information from before and after the turn of the year and the new regulations.

Oh really? Thanks for that. It's a minefield. Or maybe I'm just confusing information from before and after the new regulations. So what are the other benefits of taking the A2CofC other than limiting restrictions (which it turns out i dont need)??
i have taken the A2 Cof C simply to be able to fly my current Legacy drone a MPP with less restrictions for the next two years ,and to be able to fly in the A2 category with reduced separation ,and also to benefit from the new drones that will be C rated and hopefully coming on line over the next couple of years ,it also adds to my knowledge base ,drones are now classed by weight and the amount of risk to others they pose, if they were to hit someone,the new C rated drones will also have a switch on the RC that will restrict their speed and impact when flying close to people
there are none of these new class of drone available yet ,after the end of 2022 my MPP will be confined to flying in very open areas, no closer to anything that 150m and by then it will probably have reached it viable flying life ,and the batteries will be well past their useful lifespan, my MPP will have been flying over 4 years by then ,another reason for having the A2 C of C is to be able to fly the new C2 class of drone when they become available ,of course these rules and regs are always open to change as the world of drone flying evolves ,and even if there should be a change in government

Same, A2CoC to buy time really with my M2P.

The hope/expectation is there'll be a M3 range out at some point before the end of 2022 to take over.

The freedoms of a <250g don't really apply because there isn't one that comes anywhere near close to providing acceptable image quality with those sensors.

Basically i've bought myself 2 years during which time, hopefully, a suitable replacement will be released.

Same, A2CoC to buy time really with my M2P.

The hope/expectation is there'll be a M3 range out at some point before the end of 2022 to take over.

The freedoms of a <250g don't really apply because there isn't one that comes anywhere near close to providing acceptable image quality with those sensors.

Basically i've bought myself 2 years during which time, hopefully, a suitable replacement will be released.
Ok. So from my position, the Mavic Mini is my only option right night now and although the camera isn't the best out there, i'm hoping i can still get some small jobs with it to start. Would you agree that I don't need the A2CofC to fly it commercially for money? It's just not very clear wherever I look. Is insurance necessary or can i just set up a business and go?

Ok. So from my position, the Mavic Mini is my only option right night now and although the camera isn't the best out there, i'm hoping i can still get some small jobs with it to start. Would you agree that I don't need the A2CofC to fly it commercially for money? It's just not very clear wherever I look. Is insurance necessary or can i just set up a business and go
To answer your insurance question...... when ever flying on a commercial
basis in the UK you must have commercial insurance with £750.000
liability cover.

Reactions: malbowski85
You don't need the A2CoC to fly commercially - this is stated in the CAA documents.

You do however need insurance that complies with EC785/2004.

One of the threads here i posted a link to the CAA document. It might be in a search.

Hi, did mine a couple of weeks ago online using a company called iRED. Cost £99. Course good and good materials. Online exam a tad odd as you use "proctoring" software via a webcam and mic to ensure no cheating. Even if you dont need it for a Mini the A2cofc of worth doing to get familiar with drone/airspace rules and the basics of flying. Exam not hard mostly just common sense.

Just finished the A2 CofC course and passed the exam. Now awaiting the certificate. I used UAVHUB at a cost of £99 minus a discount (Ian in London arranged this on one of his Youtube posts), this brought it down top £94.05p. Well presented course and worth the time and money spent. Learned a lot of ancillary data that was let's say off the beaten track. Bonus as previously stated is being able to use a New designated C2 craft when available.

One point I have just read( Heliguy I think) is that apparently DJI is in talks with the relevant authorities about possibly "retrospectively giving legacy drones the C2 designation through some future upgrade process". No doubt it will cost but if cheaper than buying a new drone when none needed a could be a lot cheaper.

Quote"
UPDATE: This article, originally published in November 2020, has been updated to reflect the new drone laws, which started at the end of 2020 in the UK and throughout Europe.

Current DJI drones could receive retrospective CE class markings to enable pilots to enjoy greater freedoms under new European drone laws.

The global UAS manufacturer has hinted at the possibility of updating its existing products to make them compliant with the soon-to-be-introduced CE class identification system.

If this happens, it would open up more opportunities for pilots under the new rules; for instance, allowing them to fly closer to people without needing a standard permission. End Quote.

Even if that is possible (which looks unlikely) theres simply no business case for DJI to do so.
Much better to sell you a new drone.

Current DJI drones could receive retrospective CE class markings to enable pilots to enjoy greater freedoms under new European drone laws.
Interesting. Last year the CAA in the UK stated that existing drones would not be allowed to retrospectively be given CE class markings and would have to be specifically manufactured to comply with the new rules.

Interesting. Last year the CAA in the UK stated that existing drones would not be allowed to retrospectively be given CE class markings and would have to be specifically manufactured to comply with the new rules.

Theres nothing to suggest retrospective is possible. It was always a "maybe". People are guessing/hoping in the absence of official data.

Other points - it doesnt seem as if EASA have bothered actually implementing certification yet and also, from DJIs point of view, there's no business case at all wasting time and money certifying a 2+ year old drone when they can just release and sell you a new one.

Reactions: maelstrom
I just passed the exam today.... 100% in 4 minutes. I did it via UAVHUB which I found to be excellent. Watch the videos, repeat the mock exams as many times as you like until you feel comfortable and the real exam is then a walk in the park.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife