DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2S using 4K@60FPS, Davinci Resolve (free version) can't edit it

A2s.......handles 4K 60fps H.265. Like John Locke and others, it’s why I purchased A2s.
Interesting about your 4K@60FPS motive for the A2S, like me. Rumors are flying that the new Mini3 will support 4K@60FPS. I'm wondering if it requires H.265 also.

DR studio will do the job on your Ryzen with Win10. The Ryzen CPU should be just fine, but you will need proxies (DR calls it optimized media). The render time for me, using an edited 4 minute video for instance, is about 15 to 20min with my Intel I7-7800 3.5Ghz with GTX1080ti graphics. Let me know how your Ryzen compares. I'm thinking yours will be faster with your 12 cores, DDR4 DRAM and about 4 times the cache memory. I think you'll be surprised.
The speed editor is the bomb. It actually changed my sequence of editing. I now estimate my music requirements after my first rough edit using the speed editor, using all my good shots for the flight. It's a better way to estimate music duration for one song, after I know the duration of all my good shots, combined on the timeline. After selecting the music I whittle the video clips down to match the music duration. Selecting music after rough edits also syncs my mind with my video flight environment again, which helps select appropriate music to fit the mood. Before I started using the speed editor I would select music first, and hope it works with what I think I have for good shots. That old process was problematic because I was always guessing, but I always made it work. Doing a rough edit the speed editor first changes all that, no to mention it's quicker.
John, thanks for the essential info! All this is motivated by my need to move from shooting only still photos to adding video. My first attempts at video using my old kit-built big quad with Sony A6000 were painful to watch due to jittery, not level gimbal. I just completed the BMD two-part video training on using the Edit page.

I used those 1080 60fps clips that I had. With stabilization and speed control I almost fell off my stool when I rendered as the surprisingly smooth output was enough to accomplish my goals for a first try. Given my old flying machine’s gimbal issues and low resolution, I’m dreaming of creamy A2s footage. I listened to about 70 pages of music samples and picked two lol. That’s interesting that you changed your approach with speed editor — I’m learning that and Cut page next. My A2s with Pro controller should arrive Thursday.

I viewed some A2s .DNG files on DP review and was happy to find that I can open them in my older version of Adobe raw converter (ACR). I was soiled with the stills from A6000, still but can make the A2s photos work. They seem a bit noisy to my eye and sensitive to adjustment, but I will fitness them.

For your proxy editing, I think some people like DNxHD for their proxy. What are yiu using for your proxy codec?

Last edited:
I don't know about your issues with the A2s and bits and codecs. Perhaps with the free version you were just asking too much of Resolve for what it is. But you're right, the Speed Editor/Studio license is the deal of the century. The Speed Editor is a real PROFESSIONAL piece of equipment and is very handy.

I was so impressed with Resolve in the free version that I thought I owed BMD something for just allowing me to really get in there deep. At some point I knew I'd pay the $300 just to reward them for their flexibility. A lot of folks are now turning to Resolve from Premier not only because of the price point but because how Resolves has all the modules in one program. I'm not familiar with Adobe's pricing (beyond my Photoshop subscription) but it seems to me the $300 fee for Resolve with the editor is free after you ditch Adobe for 3 or 4 months.

Reactions: MS Coast
I stopped using Premiere Pro 15.4.1 in favor of DaVinci Resolve 17.4.6 a couple of weeks ago. I had no problems with H.265 D-Log on either platform. Then I got the Studio version with the Speed Editor, it's awesome. I just upgraded to the DRS v18 Beta but discovered that it isn't supporting GPU rendering (it's very laggy) as well as it should be, so I went back to 17.4.6 even though 18 has some new, great features... It's still a worthy investment and will be perfect when the official release comes.

If you are new to DRS, check out their training videos on the BlackMagic website and/or Casey Faris's channel on YouTube.

It is acknowledged that DR18 beta is buggy. You know BMD will work the bugs out before the official release. The depth mapping looks really interesting.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
I stopped using Premiere Pro 15.4.1 in favor of DaVinci Resolve 17.4.6 a couple of weeks ago. I had no problems with H.265 D-Log on either platform. Then I got the Studio version with the Speed Editor, it's awesome. I just upgraded to the DRS v18 Beta but discovered that it isn't supporting GPU rendering (it's very laggy) as well as it should be, so I went back to 17.4.6 even though 18 has some new, great features... It's still a worthy investment and will be perfect when the official release comes.

If you are new to DRS, check out their training videos on the BlackMagic website and/or Casey Faris's channel on YouTube.

Exactly. When DR Studio with Speed Controller was $295, I liked it so much, I bought a second combo just to have a backup SE. What a steal. The SE alone is listed for $395 on the BMD website.

When I need a break from the BMD training, I watch Casey Ferris too. Great info and fun delivery. Also, I regularly use his "organize" video approach to use drag-and-drop effects "boxes" simply to quickly lable clips--that works great for me! As he said, they are easier to see that markers, and the box can be stretched to the length of the scene.

I have completed the first two editing training videos and next I delve into Proxy editing this morning. I wil find out soon what my quite robust system can handle. I suspect that with highest quality settings for retiming and stabilize in 4K that the convenient proxy editing strategy will become my go-to for smooth playback as I work.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Exactly. When DR Studio with Speed Controller was $295, I liked it so much, I bought a second combo just to have a backup SE. What a steal. The SE alone is listed for $395 on the BMD website.

When I need a break from the BMD training, I watch Casey Ferris too. Great info and fun delivery. Also, I regularly use his "organize" video approach to use drag-and-drop effects "boxes" simply to quickly lable clips--that works great for me! As he said, they are easier to see that markers, and the box can be stretched to the length of the scene.

I have completed the first two editing training videos and next I delve into Proxy editing this morning. I wil find out soon what my quite robust system can handle. I suspect that with highest quality settings for retiming and stabilize in 4K that the convenient proxy editing strategy will become my go-to for smooth playback as I work.
Make sure you enable the rendering cache. That should help greatly if you are having issues.

Make sure you enable the rendering cache. That should help greatly if you are having issues.
Thanks, I have render cache enabled and added a m.2 NVMe dedicated to cache and scratch. Pls allow me to piggyback in this most useful thread. My A2s w/RC Pro arrived. I’m charging batteries and just did updates. Amazing to have touch screen, wifi, and bright display! Now I’m looking at video options and plan to shoot 4K 60fps DLog10 h.265 .mp4. I’m on Win10 Pro64 and use DR17.4 Studio w/SE. that leads to grading and believe me, I’m taking a deep dive. However, as experienced when I learned Photoshop, there are some strategies that are best practice, and then tutorials that teach bad practices, if followed.

I’m watching tutorials where there are signicant adjustments made including saturation BEFORE applying a LUT. I can understand nailing color temp before applying LUT or some attempt to recover from a shooting issue, but doing more than that doesn’t make sense to me. If I’m missing something, please let me know. Also, I’m going through a uTube playlist of grading video, so please help know a trusted source, preferable using DaVinci Resolve Studio. Casey Ferris is my next video :)

LUTsv are just a color correction preset. Don't see much point in manual corrections before applying them. I have a couple that are my go to when I'm feeling lazy... Which is often.

The BlackMagic website has a whole course.

Reactions: retiredNH
Thanks, I have render cache enabled and added a m.2 NVMe dedicated to cache and scratch. Pls allow me to piggyback in this most useful thread. My A2s w/RC Pro arrived. I’m charging batteries and just did updates. Amazing to have touch screen, wifi, and bright display! Now I’m looking at video options and plan to shoot 4K 60fps DLog10 h.265 .mp4. I’m on Win10 Pro64 and use DR17.4 Studio w/SE. that leads to grading and believe me, I’m taking a deep dive. However, as experienced when I learned Photoshop, there are some strategies that are best practice, and then tutorials that teach bad practices, if followed.

I’m watching tutorials where there are signicant adjustments made including saturation BEFORE applying a LUT. I can understand nailing color temp before applying LUT or some attempt to recover from a shooting issue, but doing more than that doesn’t make sense to me. If I’m missing something, please let me know. Also, I’m going through a uTube playlist of grading video, so please help know a trusted source, preferable using DaVinci Resolve Studio. Casey Ferris is my next video :)
I was wondering where you had ordered the Air 2s with the RC Pro from? I had read the combo was not shipping with the RC Pro anymore?

LUTsv are just a color correction preset. Don't see much point in manual corrections before applying them. I have a couple that are my go to when I'm feeling lazy... Which is often.

The BlackMagic website has a whole course.
Right onl also thanks for reminder about the BMD course as I just finished basic editing parts 1 & 2 but didn’t know there was a grading video (or is it a PDF with lesson files?).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum