DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2S using 4K@60FPS, Davinci Resolve (free version) can't edit it

John Locke

Reactions
To my surprise, when selecting 4K @ 60FPS on the A2S (the main reason I bought A2S) on the home screen selector, the Fly app doesn't tell you it switches codec automatically to H.265 10bit recording. You just have to know that. If you dig into the settings you can see it changed, but I assumed it was MP4 H.264 which I previously setup at my preferred codec. It turns out the craft isn't capable of recording 4K@60 in H.264 8bit like the P4P. This issue became a disappointment with the free version of Davinci Resolve which I have been using for over a year now. I'm formally a PP user. However, the free version of Resolve can't edit H.265 10bit. And the A2S can't capture 4K@60FPS using 8bit H.264, which Free Resolve can edit.

It took me weeks to figure out why I couldn't edit my 4K@60FPS clips. In Resolve, when I tried to import the media for editing, the app would say "Media Offline" in red font within the media window, as if I'm doing something wrong (which I was). YT has all kinds of reasons why Resolve displays the dialog saying "Media Offline", but none of them applied to me. Then I finally learned about DJI hiding the auto switch to H.265 10bit recordings, from the quick selector screen. I noticed this in the Resolve metadata panel when using the Inspector option. Someone in this forum told me the Free Resolve app can't edit H.265 10bit clips, something that you just have to know. So finally I know what my problem is. Free Resolve can't edit what I've recorded, but Resolve Pro can.

I found out that Adobe PP does support H.265 10bit on their paid subscription model. However I don't like sending Adobe $20/mo for PP, and I like how Resolve uses one app for all functions, not to mention the Resolve color grading method is nice. So I splurged and bought the Resolve 17 Pro version for $295 from B&H camera. This happened to be bundled with a free Speed Editor keyboard, which I was not familiar with, but thought it might be helpful to try out. Someone in this forum told me about this special deal. Since the Speed Editor keyboard was free, I had nothing to lose anyway. I always assume something for free wasn't going to have very good quality, so I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I wrong.

The speed editor is the bomb after learning the keyboard. It makes the rough cuts to the timeline super quick and easy, compared to using a mouse and keyboard. And the quality of the Speed Editor hardware is pro level, extremely solid and smooth. The ball bearings in the jog wheel are glass smooth, pretty incredible feel.

I bought the Resolve version with the dongle so I can use the software on several platforms. It edits my 4K@60FPS H.265 10bit with no problem. However the s/w doesn't like being put in sleep mode on a PC. You need to close Resolve if you plan to use sleep mode.
If you're using the free version of Resolve, this keyboard by itself is worth the $295, it's that helpful IMO. Similar video editing keyboards for PP costs over $500.

If you're a user of the free Resolve (like I was), and you buy an A2S to gain the ability to shoot 4K@60FPS (like I did), your free Resolve will need to be upgraded, $295 worth. However, I'm glad I was virtually forced to buy the pro version with the Speed Editor. I would never had tried the Speed Editor otherwise, I would still be using a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
Someone in this forum told me the Free Resolve app can't edit H.265 10bit clips
I can definitely edit H265 10-bit using the free version of Resolve 17.

The other benefit of the paid version, at least for me, is much faster rendering. I do not believe the free version uses GPUs in rendering,

Blackmagic's online materials have some good info for using the speed editor and their training isn't so bad either. It took them a long time to get materials up for 17. I pre-ordered 17 and the speed editor a year ago got it in late January, but BMD didn't update their training stuff until this past summer and into fall!

@John Locke what computer & GPU are you using?

Thanks for the Speed Editor review!

I can definitely edit H265 10-bit using the free version of Resolve 17.
Well, you can't.
I tried it, doesn't work! And I think it is even mentioned on the official website

1640861697861.png

I edit on a M1 MacBook Air.... I believe it can't be done on the free versions for Windows but is enabled on the Mac. Below is the media info from a video I output from DaVinci this morning. The input file was a H265 D-LOG file from my Air 2S.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 7.48.28 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
If you are using a windows machine, H.265 might give you issues. I've seen the Movie Player require you to buy a $1 plug in for that codec so it may not play nice on some Windows machines. I have a bunch of different Macs and they will not play in the finder on the older ones but if you import them into any NLE they will play including the free version of Da Vinci Resolve on my older (2010,2013) machines. On my M1 Mac Mini, however, they will play straight from the finder. I only have the Air 2 however.

Reactions: zeusfl
Sounds like the Davinci is Mac friendly and not so much PC friendly. Sounds like the OP - John was using a PC. Mac for me.

I've seen the Movie Player require you to buy a $1 plug in for that codec so it may not play nice on some Windows machines.
That's funny. I tried installing that $1 plug-in (HVEC) and it wouldn't load into my Alienware desktop. It just sat there, nothing happened. I called Microsoft to see if I was don't something wrong, the guy said no. There's a lot of folks having issues. He refunded my dollar, but I never asked for the refund. I'm not sure what's going on with the free version of Resolve for PC, but it seems to clearly be an issue in the free version. However the Studio Pro version works fine on my PC. Maybe this thread will help others if they run across this anomaly.

@John Locke what computer & GPU are you using?
My Alienware desktop is 4yrs old
i7-7800X 3.5Ghz
Geforce GTX 1080Ti
16GB DRAM

This computer has always worked great otherwise. Since the Studio version works on my PC fine, I'm curious why DaVinci left out support for 4K 10bit H.265 support in Windows 10 platforms, when it works with MacOS. Are Windows user's second class citizens? Isn't that discrimination? HAH! I'm sure that's going to produce comments.

When I saw this post I had to re-read it again and then saw this was on a Windows machine. I bought a new Mac M1 Mini in the Spring around the time I bought our Air2S and I only shoot in H.265 and Resolve 17 free pleasantly eats the files up speedily with no issues whatsoever. Maybe as some have said, the Mac version of Resolve is friendlier??? Sorry that you had to go through the hassles, John Locke...

A year ago I purchased the studio version of DR17 because it came with the Speed Editor and any reviews I read had good things to say about it.

Besides BM's tutorials, there are many others by individuals walking through the Speed Editor and DR17.

With a i9-9900k, Nvidia RTX 2070, a lots of RAM, editing with DR17 and the Speed Editor is a pleasure.

Reactions: MS Coast
I had Davinci Resolve free on Windows (I now have the studio version). At that time at least it didn't like H.265 of any kind (newer iPhone footage was particularly problematic). You and I are far from the only people finding problems with H.265 and Davinci Resolve.

To get around it I converted it to H.264 using FFMPEG.

Odd, i use 265 no problem from my Fuji XT-4..cant see why it would be any different from the A2s

First post. I joined for this thread. Thanks to all. A2s with Pro controller with fly more on the way ordered today! I edit with DaVinci Resolve 17.4 Studio w/speed controller and am striving to learn what to expect. I’m on PC and will see how my decent workstation handles the 4K 60fps H.265. Like John Locke and others, it’s why I purchased A2s. I think that Intel CPU have some advantageous hardware capability, yet I am Ryzen 5900x based. I’m bracing for proxy editing or transcoding from within DR Studio — if not I will be pleasantly surprised. Win 10 Pro 64 OS, 64gb ram, 3060ti KO OC, 2x_m.2 NVMe’s. I am continuing to read, watch and learn. Good to be here. I’m just getting started in this lane so bear with me as I get up to speed. @ John do you think I will edit using my A2s 4K 60fps H.265 cam clips directly in Studio? (Now I continue reading…)

First post. I joined for this thread. Thanks to all. A2s with Pro controller with fly more on the way ordered today! I edit with DaVinci Resolve 17.4 Studio w/speed controller and am striving to learn what to expect. I’m on PC and will see how my decent workstation handles the 4K 60fps H.265. Like John Locke and others, it’s why I purchased A2s. I think that Intel CPU have some advantageous hardware capability, yet I am Ryzen 5900x based. I’m bracing for proxy editing or transcoding from within DR Studio — if not I will be pleasantly surprised. Win 10 Pro 64 OS, 64gb ram, 3060ti KO OC, 2x_m.2 NVMe’s. I am continuing to read, watch and learn. Good to be here. I’m just getting started in this lane so bear with me as I get up to speed. @ John do you think I will edit using my A2s 4K 60fps H.265 cam clips directly in Studio? (Now I continue reading…)
DR studio will do the job on your Ryzen with Win10. The Ryzen CPU should be just fine, but you will need proxies (DR calls it optimized media). The render time for me, using an edited 4 minute video for instance, is about 15 to 20min with my Intel I7-7800 3.5Ghz with GTX1080ti graphics. Let me know how your Ryzen compares. I'm thinking yours will be faster with your 12 cores, DDR4 DRAM and about 4 times the cache memory. I think you'll be surprised.
The speed editor is the bomb. It actually changed my sequence of editing. I now estimate my music requirements after my first rough edit using the speed editor, using all my good shots for the flight. It's a better way to estimate music duration for one song, after I know the duration of all my good shots, combined on the timeline. After selecting the music I whittle the video clips down to match the music duration. Selecting music after rough edits also syncs my mind with my video flight environment again, which helps select appropriate music to fit the mood. Before I started using the speed editor I would select music first, and hope it works with what I think I have for good shots. That old process was problematic because I was always guessing, but I always made it work. Doing a rough edit the speed editor first changes all that, no to mention it's quicker.

Reactions: retiredNH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett