DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Abadoned Radar Station on East Mountain in Vermont

ArthurC

Reactions
Hello everyone. New to the Mavic Air 2 as an upgrade from the Spark, and first time posting in this forum.

My first real adventure with My Mavic Air 2 was to an abandoned military installation on top of a mountain in Vermont. And it was awesome.

Mostly shot with the MA2 and Osmo Pocket, but there's some Spark and a couple action camera shots in there too.

Enjoy!

Great vision. In fact some of it spectacular. Nice editing, but at circa 15 minutes it’s too long for most to watch end to end. I’m sure we all run into the problem of keeping our work to about 2-3 minutes, however the reality is that not many folk will watch anything longer no matter how good.

Reactions: Bernard
Interesting video. But in my opinion, it's really too long... and you have a lot of duplicate views that can be cut for a shorter and great video...

I know this has been covered before but I can't remember what the answer is... at 2:49 in the video there is a "spot" at the bottom of the shot, in the middle side-to-side, that looks like a small light. What causes this? I have now experienced this in one of my video shoots.

I know this has been covered before but I can't remember what the answer is... at 2:49 in the video there is a "spot" at the bottom of the shot, in the middle side-to-side, that looks like a small light. What causes this? I have now experienced this in one of my video shoots.
I don't know if there's a specific name for it, but it's similar to the "Specter of the Brocken" effect, where the sun lines up with you line of sight, but from behind you. I've noticed that the effect is much more noticeable in a forested area, due to the fact that the shadows completely disappear at that specific point, making it much brighter that anywhere else in the shot. It's quite distracting sometimes, but a neat effect that pops up from time to time.

I don't know if there's a specific name for it, but it's similar to the "Specter of the Brocken" effect, where the sun lines up with you line of sight, but from behind you. I've noticed that the effect is much more noticeable in a forested area, due to the fact that the shadows completely disappear at that specific point, making it much brighter that anywhere else in the shot. It's quite distracting sometimes, but a neat effect that pops up from time to time.
Arthur, I believe you are correct. I looked up Brocken Spectre and read about it. I've now seen it three times, in three different shots, on three different videos I did but each time I was perfectly lined up with the sun behind my drone at just the right angle and altitude. It comes an goes fairly quickly depending on the speed my drone is traveling. I don't really mind it but I know others might see and and be distracted. Thanks for the response and education!

Loved it, watched through to the end - that is my kind of subject matter.
If you don't mind, how many days were you there? How many batteries did you go through, and was there a means to recharge - it looks so isolated.

Loved it, watched through to the end - that is my kind of subject matter.
If you don't mind, how many days were you there? How many batteries did you go through, and was there a means to recharge - it looks so isolated.
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! We were only there for one night. So far, there is no portable battery pack for the Mavic Air 2, which is why I took my Spark along too. I actually only ended up using 2 MA2 batteries and one Spark Battery. The Spark has a portable charger which will charge about 5 batteries, but I only used it for charging my phone and action cameras. The third MA2 battery would have been used filming a bunch of roman candles being shot off the top of the buildings at night, if my friends hadn't gotten drunk and gone to bed early... Next year...

There is a car charger for the MA2, which I have, but we were 2 miles from the car there.

Reactions: TreeHugger
Arthur, I believe you are correct. I looked up Brocken Spectre and read about it. I've now seen it three times, in three different shots, on three different videos I did but each time I was perfectly lined up with the sun behind my drone at just the right angle and altitude. It comes an goes fairly quickly depending on the speed my drone is traveling. I don't really mind it but I know others might see and and be distracted. Thanks for the response and education!
Now that I think of it, this effect is also noticeable to the naked eye while riding in a plane, which is where I first witnessed it. Look for it next time you're in the air!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54