DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accuracy of FRZ areas

brownadb

Reactions
Hi All,

I’m new to drone flying and the forum, based in Wales, UK. Bought a Mavic 2 Pro which I’ve been flying for a few weeks now and absolutely love it.

One question I have, which seasoned pilots may be able answer, is with regard to the accuracy of FRZ information from the DJI Go 4 App compared with the NATS Done Assist App which I use whenever I take the Mavic 2 out for a flight. The other day I took it to a new area and the NATS App indicated all good to go, follow the drone code. The nearest FRZ was around 20 miles away. However, about to take off and a warning came up on the DJI App that I had just entered an FRZ area which clearly I hadn’t. Just wondered if anyone else has seen such a discrepancy?

Thanks.

Maybe. Note: I fly a Mavic Mini with the DJI Fly app.
In the US, I use AirMap, which is really good at identifying NoFlyZones mandated by our federal (US) government, but state and local restrictions aren't identied very well, if at all. While driving out in the desert one day, chasing hot air balloons, I checked AirMap and, according to that app, I was clear of any restricted areas. When I tried to fly the drone, however, the DJI app made me "unlock" the GeoZone. Fortunately I had good network coverage and I quickly received a release code by text - and I was able to do this quickly.
I flew the "mission" and afterward tried to figure out why DJI thought I was in a restricted zone. The only thing I noticed was a prison a couple of mile away. Could that be it? I'll never know. Was this similar to what you experienced?

Thanks very much for the reply. I checked out AirMap and that pretty much follows the same hazards and advisories as the NATS App which is comforting to know. The only thing I did notice was that there was a Gas Venting System (GVS) about 2.1 miles away. Since the Mavic 2 Pro can go a distance of around 5 miles I guess the warning maybe popped up as it was within range although it seemed to indicate is was in a restricted area rather than an advisory.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54