DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track 3 for Mavic 2 Series

MavicWorld

Reactions
Hi,
Does anyone know if Active Track 3 will be available for the Mavic 2 series via either firmware updates and/or DJI GO 4 app?

Thanks...Sam

Unlikely. DJI prefer to put new features on new models rather than make them backward compatible.

That’s unfortunate because (in my humble opinion) it’s not very forward thinking and not good business practices!

That’s unfortunate because (in my humble opinion) it’s not very forward thinking and not good business practices!

It’s how every business on earth operates. Apple dont give all owners of old iPhones the new features when they release a new model. I wouldn’t expect Audi to update my two year old A7 with the latest features.

• Angry
Reactions: peddy
With all due respect, this is a little different. The technology of the Mavic Air 2 is no different than the Mavic 2 series! In fact the Mavic 2 series’ technology is up to par, and if I’m not mistaken it most likely exceeds that of the Air 2!

With all due respect, this is a little different. The technology of the Mavic Air 2 is no different than the Mavic 2 series! In fact the Mavic 2 series’ technology is up to par, and if I’m not mistaken it most likely exceeds that of the Air 2!

It’s absolutely no different. DJI aren’t doing anything every other company on earth does. They’re not going to give their latest technology away for free. It costs money to develop the new active track system. Software doesn’t make itself. And, companies don’t exist for anything other than profit.

• Angry
Reactions: peddy and Jet skier
It’s absolutely no different. DJI aren’t doing anything every other company on earth does. They’re not going to give their latest technology away for free. It costs money to develop the new active track system. Software doesn’t make itself. And, companies don’t exist for anything other than profit.
Especially DJI. I can almost guarantee you will not see Active Track 3 on a Mavic 2. You’ll be expected to cough up for a new drone.

Reactions: Lastrexking
There are several open source drone communities that are alive and kicking if you want to invest in hardware that won't be obsolete in 12 months, if that's a concern. Its a lot of fun as well to build drones to your own specs. I have built drones with 40min flight time that can carry dsrl-cameras and small racing drones with goggles etc.

Reactions: Hauptmann
The successor from the M2 should come soon. But I don't think anything will come before 2021. Until then, M2 will probably continue to fly as it is.

pray that coders and hackers develop a firmware upgrade with it, more likely than DJI release it, and if they do release it they will do it in about 4 months & probably release a Phantom 5 or new drone that exceeds that tech with a larger and more expensive drone, thats how DJI works in the past.

I tested Active Track with M2P with SC and a mtn biker a few days back. Trace & Profile modes worked well. I lost the rider pretty quick with Spotlight Pro as I wasn't able to navigate close enough to rider & he got lost.

Has anyone used Follow Me mode with SC? Some say this doesn't work as well as Active Track because the GPS signal is too slow. But after watching a test with Skydio using the Beacon, I'm wondering if Follow me mode is usable with M2P and SC. This would be with a cyclist on trails in open terrain (not forested). And for all of the above, I'm piloting with another cyclist as subject.

If they could upgrade the "old" Ronin-S gimbal with Active track 3.0, I am pretty sure it should be available soon for the Mavic 2 pro. The hardware for sure can handle it, but of course they have to sell the Mavic Air 2 right now, so it would not be smart for DJI to give that out at this moment. I think if the Mavic Air 2 sales will go down and the new Mavic 3 pro beast comes out, you can expect an upgrade. So far I see that DJI is very good with software upgrades but you have to be a bit patient...

If they could upgrade the "old" Ronin-S gimbal with Active track 3.0, I am pretty sure it should be available soon for the Mavic 2 pro. The hardware for sure can handle it, but of course they have to sell the Mavic Air 2 right now, so it would not be smart for DJI to give that out at this moment. I think if the Mavic Air 2 sales will go down and the new Mavic 3 pro beast comes out, you can expect an upgrade. So far I see that DJI is very good with software upgrades but you have to be a bit patient...
Thanks for the update info and your thoughts on the possible Active Track 3 updates to the Mavic Pro/Zoom

I tested Active Track with M2P with SC and a mtn biker a few days back. Trace & Profile modes worked well. I lost the rider pretty quick with Spotlight Pro as I wasn't able to navigate close enough to rider & he got lost.

Has anyone used Follow Me mode with SC? Some say this doesn't work as well as Active Track because the GPS signal is too slow. But after watching a test with Skydio using the Beacon, I'm wondering if Follow me mode is usable with M2P and SC. This would be with a cyclist on trails in open terrain (not forested). And for all of the above, I'm piloting with another cyclist as subject.
GPS works really well if done right.
I've been playing around with it, this is one of my first tests,
It uses GPS only with gps data sent over 4G from a tracker phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake