DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track - Can I move drone during?

westwind77

Reactions
I tested out active track a month or so ago with the boat, it followed it perfectly but when when I tried to adjust elevation it instantly stopped tracking, is that normal? Should I be able to adjust elevator or rotate around the boat while it is moving without it losing its lock?

Anyone know? Sorry to push, just leaving in about an hour to try again and was curious, thank you!

You have full control during active track.
If you make your moves too quick you could lose tracking lock.

Thank you! I did not get a chance to try it out today, too many people/kids/craziness. Might give it a shot tomorrow when things are calmer.

Don't get too cozy with active track, it's no replacement for someone manually adjusting the frame. Maybe after the Mavic 2 we'll get something that is more reliable than a person.

Manually keeping a moving subject centre frame will never be as accurate as active track.
Don't rely on it stopping you flying Into the ground or obstacles, that's when you need the stick input.
Sorry it's rubbish quality, quickly edited and uploaded

Last edited:
Manually keeping a moving subject centre frame will never be as accurate as active track.
Don't rely on it stopping you flying Into the ground or obstacles, that's when you need the stick input.
Sorry it's rubbish quality, quickly edited and uploaded
A pro/skilled pilot is far better at getting the shot than any automated tracking, if you practice enough that is.

Thank you for the responses and examples! The only time I plan to really use active track is when on the boat, kids doing watersports, etc - times when I might 'set it and forget' it for a few minutes. I'm sure their are other times it will come in helpful as well but I would like to work on my manual skills as much as possible when I can, but it is nice to know I can 'cheat' when needed/wanted.

Active track has caused the demise of many Mavics. It should not lose track because of an elevation change unless you were at the edge of it's ability and moved out of it. Boats introduce the added challenges of water reflections, variable wake/bow spray, and sudden direction changes (faster than a car or hiker, for instance). You might try targeting a person or large object on the boat instead of the boat itself. Just be ready with the cancel button and watch your battery use. You don't want it to RTH to a water landing.

I like the Litchi Follow mode for boating- since it uses GPS instead of visual you do not need to worry about it losing the subject. I have followed at about 32mph using litchi with collision avoidance disabled...If you use Litchi for this: Familiarize yourself with the Litchi follow settings- "subject offset" is handy for videoing a wakeboarder while following the boat (instead of having the boat in the center of the frame).

Set your singal loss behavior to "hover" and disable smart RTH for flying from boat

some samples below: (both of these are with no one even holding the controller- all automated follow)

Last edited:
Reactions: colinfowler
Thank you for the responses and examples! The only time I plan to really use active track is when on the boat, kids doing watersports, etc - times when I might 'set it and forget' it for a few minutes. I'm sure their are other times it will come in helpful as well but I would like to work on my manual skills as much as possible when I can, but it is nice to know I can 'cheat' when needed/wanted.

Also, if you want to "set it and forget it" then you want Litchi GPS follow for sure... With ActiveTrack you have to worry about the drone losing it's visual lock and stopping. With GPS you know that it will follow you reliably - I modified a GoPro suction cup mount so that I can mount my controller to the boat windshield while driving. In both of those video the controller is mounted to the windshield and required no input....just make sure that someone is keeping an eye on the battery level. It is also good to turn on the Litchi voice alert so it will read out the battery level every 60 seconds.

With my Mavic Air I see how to change to Hover for RC loss of signal but, I don't see the option of turning off Smart RTH under the battery menu. I have also read that some people are disabling landing protection while boating.

Also, if you want to "set it and forget it" then you want Litchi GPS follow for sure... With ActiveTrack you have to worry about the drone losing it's visual lock and stopping. With GPS you know that it will follow you reliably - I modified a GoPro suction cup mount so that I can mount my controller to the boat windshield while driving. In both of those video the controller is mounted to the windshield and required no input....just make sure that someone is keeping an eye on the battery level. It is also good to turn on the Litchi voice alert so it will read out the battery level every 60 seconds.
I have to agree, Litchi in Follow Me is awesome. Although I find Go 4 is much better than Litch in most other tracking modes. My experience anyway.

Reactions: tom351
I like the Litchi Follow mode for boating- since it uses GPS instead of visual you do not need to worry about it losing the subject. I have followed at about 32mph using litchi with collision avoidance disabled...If you use Litchi for this: Familiarize yourself with the Litchi follow settings- "subject offset" is handy for videoing a wakeboarder while following the boat (instead of having the boat in the center of the frame).

Set your singal loss behavior to "hover" and disable smart RTH for flying from boat

some samples below: (both of these are with no one even holding the controller- all automated follow)

Awesome video's!! I'll have to check out Litchi for my MA. I just started flying this fall from my boat. Litchi looks to offer a much better option than DJI Go 4. I was in Active track in which I had it circling. I was only going about 10 knots and it lost me. I don't recall the distance, but it was at least 150 feet out and the altitude was approx. 100 feet. Active track lost the boat when it passed around the front. Other than this one time, I didn't have any other issues. My settings were set to Hover with landing protection off. I hand/palm launched/landed without a hitch. Loved it!! Next season.... maybe Litchi.

Reactions: tom351
One other tip: set "Gimbal Control" to manual in litchi follow... otherwise the gimbal seems to bounce up and down and ruin the video... the manual setting makes "subject height" irrelevant. I just get going, and then dial the gimbal tilt in manually.

One other tip: set "Gimbal Control" to manual in litchi follow... otherwise the gimbal seems to bounce up and down and ruin the video... the manual setting makes "subject height" irrelevant. I just get going, and then dial the gimbal tilt in manually.
Thank You Tom........

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada