DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track looks at me but doesn't follow snowmobile ?

KiterTodd

Reactions
Has anyone noticed behavior where Active Track will track you but not follow you?

What I mean is sometimes it turns to keep you in sight but doesn't actually follow you. This has happened before...

In the recent example, I was trying this in bright flat light last week. I wanted the M2P to follow me on a snowmobile. I drew a box around the snowmobile, hit "GO" and it started Active Track. Then I slowly drove away and the M2P did not move. It just stayed back there were it started. However, when I drove the sled back down to the drone it turned to track me while I re-positioned myself. I tried this a second time and it still didn't follow me.

I was not sure if the issue is a dark sled in a flat light... perhaps it could not tell I was moving away. It just saw an object getting smaller in an all white background. ?!?

I had another ActiveTrack question on this same trip that I posted here. If you can help with one, maybe you know the secrets of the other. ;)

For active track to work, you need to select the target and wait for it to turn green. Once its green, the green box should say OK. Tap the OK and the camera should center the tracked object and follow.

For active track to work, you need to select the target and wait for it to turn green. Once its green, the green box should say OK. Tap the OK and the camera should center the tracked object and follow.
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I did. Didn't follow me. Kind of odd, but I guess it just doesn't work reliably.

Has anyone noticed behavior where Active Track will track you but not follow you?

What I mean is sometimes it turns to keep you in sight but doesn't actually follow you. This has happened before...

In the recent example, I was trying this in bright flat light last week. I wanted the M2P to follow me on a snowmobile. I drew a box around the snowmobile, hit "GO" and it started Active Track. Then I slowly drove away and the M2P did not move. It just stayed back there were it started. However, when I drove the sled back down to the drone it turned to track me while I re-positioned myself. I tried this a second time and it still didn't follow me.

I was not sure if the issue is a dark sled in a flat light... perhaps it could not tell I was moving away. It just saw an object getting smaller in an all white background. ?!?

I had another ActiveTrack question on this same trip that I posted here. If you can help with one, maybe you know the secrets of the other. ;)
This happend to me first time I tried Active Track ... You drag the square which highlights the target and provides a Go button, but off to the right, you then get the 3 modes to select - i.e. Trace, profile, spotlight ... get in the habit of touching one of the 3 modes to positively select it before you select 'Go' ... If the drone is turning to track you, then it IS in an active track mode, but it's in 'Spotlight' not one of the two tracking modes which are 'Trace' (following from behind), or 'Profile' (flying sideways beside you).
When you do select one of these modes, you'll get an additional graphic pop on the screen reminding you what that mode does - and that has a small tick-box that you can select if you don't want to see the reminder each time ...

This happend to me first time I tried Active Track ... You drag the square which highlights the target and provides a Go button, but off to the right, you then get the 3 modes to select - i.e. Trace, profile, spotlight ... get in the habit of touching one of the 3 modes to positively select it before you select 'Go' ... If the drone is turning to track you, then it IS in an active track mode, but it's in 'Spotlight' not one of the two tracking modes which are 'Trace' (following from behind), or 'Profile' (flying sideways beside you).
When you do select one of these modes, you'll get an additional graphic pop on the screen reminding you what that mode does - and that has a small tick-box that you can select if you don't want to see the reminder each time ...
Thanks so much @FoxhallGH. I'm certain that is what happened after reading your description and the drone's behavior. Darn... it was so cold out there I couldn't keep the gloves off long enough to mess around with the screen. I must have missed that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s