DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track modes with unicycling

Nathan Hoover

Reactions
I've been flying Phantoms for 3 years and all that time I've really wanted to be able to shoot me and my buddies unicycling. It is just too much of a hassle to bring a Phantom along on these rides, but the Mavic just slipped right into my CamelBak with the controller and 2 spare batteries. I didn't even notice it while riding a few miles up to a lake to try it out. I tested Trace and Profile modes and it worked ok although you have to understand the limitations and of course watch for trees.

Here's a video:

Last edited:
Very nice. +Like for running into a tree without a clickbait title.

did you just leave the controller on the ground when you started? or was it in your backpack?

In the video if you look close, you can see he places it on the ground before cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I would just pick the active track target, select the mode, click to start recording, then leave the controller on the ground. One time I was quite far away and it lost me - and just started hovering. I rode back and went in front of it but it wouldn't register me. So I had to ride all the way back to the controller and manually fly it back. It is not perfect but can be used to get some great looking footage.

The biggest issue is obstacle avoidance. You might be tempted to try it on rides in areas with trees and bushes but unlike the P4P is only looking forward and down. The Mavic 2 will be THE ONE!

Oh man that is great!! The second one is sick! I was kind of thinking who cares about the Mavic - the riding is so great. But the Mavic is what makes it look so great. I was impressed with the use of Spotlight mode - I initially thought that wasn't interested but realized it could be used to make a bunch of really cool short clips like yours. Very nice! SO much better than the old way!

That's interesting flying without the controller. I tried it once in October when I got my Mavic and couldn't get it to work and never tried it again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54