DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active track not available.

KBF

Reactions
So here is my first newbie dumb question! DJI Mavic 3 Pro with RC controller, all up to date. I really wanted to used the POI feature but when I try to draw the box on the screen I just get a small dot under my finger that moves the gimble around slightly, no box drawn.
I got onto DJI about it and they said that that feature (active track) won't work in a GEO zone. I'm not within an FAA zone but I am within a DJI zone. (I'm miles from any airfield and much further from a main airport) although DJI's GEO zones seem to cover most of the eastern seaboard)
DJI said I need an unlocking license, which I now have but before I install it (I've read that they can cause issues in themself) does being on the very outer reaches of a DJI GEO zone prevent active track use?
If any knowledgeable person feels like checking my zone for me, I am situated right on the west side of Sandy Point State Forest in King William County, VA
It was pretty disappointing buying an expensive drone specifically wanting to use that feature then finding you've had your wings clipped!
Thanks for any help/info.
Mark.

What issues have you read about ? I have not seen an issue with unlocking a drone.
I thought I read about it possibly interfering with RTH or flying back into an area once the drone had flown ouit into unrestricted airspace. Could be wrong, I've been reading so much this week!

I would Install BUT FIRST read this Advice GadgetGuy gave on another post:

"" Whenever DJI creates an "unlocked zone" for you, everything outside of that zone becomes an NFZ. So, if you manage to fly into your "unlocked zone" from outside of it (such as before the Home Point has been established), you will not be able to exit the "unlocked zone" to return to your Home Point in the created NFZ, and will be forced to land within the "unlocked zone." You also cannot turn off any "unlocked zone" while in flight to get outside of it.

Been there. Done that. Drone was literally 15 feet away from me, hovering over the ocean, and I could not fly it any closer to me for the hand catch! Battery was at 10%! I had to fly it back into the "unlocked zone" over the ocean, and then laterally fly it back over dry land within the "unlocked zone," which was a full 2 blocks away, and find a safe landing spot in the unlocked area, which was in the middle of the street, while frantically running to that spot before a car ran over it!

Backstory: I had changed locations, and inadvertently forgotten to turn the now unneeded unlock off before launching at the new location, and I did not wait for the Home Point to be fully established when I launched, which allowed me to unwittingly fly into the "unlock" which I would not be able to fly out of!

When I got home, upon closer examination, I found out that the border of the unlock was 15 feet away from where I was trying to hand catch it from a lookout on a cliff over the ocean!

BE CAREFUL!
Heed the warning.
It means what it says! ""

I would say with the above advice you should feel a little less nervous about the install

Reactions: KBF
I would Install BUT FIRST read this Advice GadgetGuy gave on another post:

"" Whenever DJI creates an "unlocked zone" for you, everything outside of that zone becomes an NFZ. So, if you manage to fly into your "unlocked zone" from outside of it (such as before the Home Point has been established), you will not be able to exit the "unlocked zone" to return to your Home Point in the created NFZ, and will be forced to land within the "unlocked zone." You also cannot turn off any "unlocked zone" while in flight to get outside of it.

Been there. Done that. Drone was literally 15 feet away from me, hovering over the ocean, and I could not fly it any closer to me for the hand catch! Battery was at 10%! I had to fly it back into the "unlocked zone" over the ocean, and then laterally fly it back over dry land within the "unlocked zone," which was a full 2 blocks away, and find a safe landing spot in the unlocked area, which was in the middle of the street, while frantically running to that spot before a car ran over it!

Backstory: I had changed locations, and inadvertently forgotten to turn the now unneeded unlock off before launching at the new location, and I did not wait for the Home Point to be fully established when I launched, which allowed me to unwittingly fly into the "unlock" which I would not be able to fly out of!

When I got home, upon closer examination, I found out that the border of the unlock was 15 feet away from where I was trying to hand catch it from a lookout on a cliff over the ocean!

BE CAREFUL!
Heed the warning.
It means what it says! ""

I would say with the above advice you should feel a little less nervous about the install
So if I unlocked the GEO zone which is around my farm and slightly beyond (including a river) , launched from home then strayed outside the unlocked zone (would it let me go outside?) it wouldn't let me fly back to home? If it won't let me go outside in the first place, that's not so bad but I certainly would have made a bigger, and more accurate , circle on the requst map.

And I'll not deny that in the back of my mind, is the function not working because of GEO restrictions ? Or is it a fault with the controller.

Has anyone actually encountered this problem?

So, an update on this. I downloaded an unlock license for the GEO zone restriction (even though FAA and B4UFly say I'm not in a restricted area, and active track started working (I could draw the green box) but I was getting nervous of all the warnings I was getting about being close to the GEO fence and that RTH won't work (even though I was several hundred feet from the unlocked area fence, so I landed, switched the license off then flew again. Active track still worked. I double checked the license, it was off for sure. Very odd. I'll see what happens when I fly next.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne