DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track / Obstacle Avoidance Torture Test

Passedpawn, i used all three settings in active track, first (drone clip) is Spotlight (drone is stationary but pans to follow the vehicle), 2nd was Profile (drone just flies sideways keeping pace with the car) and lastly, I think it’s Circle (drone will either simply follow the subject or if u enter an angular speed (move dot on white arc), the drone will circle the subject). I was videoing the whole thing on a GoPro on the tree stub, and the drone was really moving fast, I was driving at between 10 & 20 kph. Just make sure you are clear of people & obstacles.

Is that ON by default?

I think I can answer my own question (sort of). It is not on by default. In one of the videos posted above, I can see that when the APAS is enabled the icon turns blue, so I did not have it enabled. Which then begs the obvious question: if the drone is avoiding obstacles when APAS is off, what does APAS add when it is enabled?

I'm traveling now and can't test for another week (and, ****, wish I had my drone with me! down here south of Pheonix)

I'm traveling now and can't test for another week (and, ****, wish I had my drone with me! down here south of Pheonix)
Gotta watch ambient temps in southern AZ. I only fly early AM and dusk most days... up in northern AZ it’s a little better.... but yeah you should have brought you bird.

Does the active track work in front of a person flying backwards? My buddy wants me to get some video of him surfing

I tried it recently while surfing. I know what shot you are describing - in my experience, it won’t really keep up with a surfer on its own with only ActiveTrack without the pilot manually controlling it to maintain that distance in front of the surfer. Especially with how surfers accelerate pretty quickly, when they disappear behind a wave, when they wipe out, etc. So, you’ll have to do a little work behind the controls to get good footage like that. (I was about 20’ AGL, so it might work better at a higher altitude.) That was using Trace mode - it worked well but it was easy for the Mavic to lose the surfer if they paddle directly underneath it. ActiveTrack Profile mode would probably work well but not to get that particular footage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty