DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track too slow to follow

waverider969

Reactions
Am I the only one who thinks active track is poor at doing what its supposed to do - Follow and film some person or object as they move. The times I tested active track to follow my son around a field as soon as he picks up a little more pace the Mavic losses him out of frame. Am I doing something wrong or is this how it is?

I've seen it used successfully on some pretty quick subjects and I have also used it on some skiers with sucess.
Might be your subject contrast or try backing off a little more than you are.

I have used it pretty successfully to follow me in my Razr. I am not certain about speeds but faster than someone on foot for certain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By coincidence, I just used Active Track yesterday morning to follow me on the long driveway leading to my house from the main road after a recent light but pretty snowfall. I wanted to see how the Mavic would perform on "autopilot" in a not-excessively wide environment (i.e., my winding driveway through the forest) that is in a tree-lined area with branches projecting from both sides and in the snow (which DJI instructions say to avoid in Active Track) and to also check out the sensitivity of the visual Over Exposure Warning system.

Personally, I was surprised at how well the Mavic did follow me, maintained its consistent distance from me. and how well it followed me even though there are several right-angle turns on my driveway that the aircraft had to negotiate around to keep me in frame. I had no complaints. Since I believe manufacturing standards are considerably high with DJI products, I would guess that your Mavic and software are fine and your situation may be one of just having a learning curve to deal with in this case.

A couple of things to consider while in this mode is to have a very good fix on your subject (using the green box that appears onscreen) first before you hit GO to engage the Mavic's Active Track software. Also, the ambient light is critical when using this mode. The craft may more easily lose sight of the subject or it will even stop and hover if the lighting conditions aren't adequate. It's not a perfect system, but it does do what DJI claims. Just make sure you have all of your sensors on, too, before flying in this mode so you get the object avoidance protection you need, and ensure you disengage the ability for the Mavic to fly backwards if it senses an object in front of it if you are in a confined space, otherwise your drone can easily end up backing up into a tree, a structure or even a person as there are no rear-facing sensors on board.

I'm not the expert here but that is what I know about it. Hopefully others will chime in with better advice than I can give you. Best of luck getting it to work right and safe flying.

IMO, the major problem of Active Track is in the high expectations of some, not in the performance itself. It´s not without its faults and limitations of course. But the truth is that does what´s supposed to do considering the current stage of technology and the conditions.

Reactions: CC Rider

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scATC1001