DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active Track

thusly

Reactions
My apologies in advance for the remedial question: when using this mode, is the distance from the drone to the subject generally constant? I would like to track a car as it climbs a steep grade and was concerned.

Thanks in advance for any responses and suggestions!

After you start Active Track you will be able to adjust aircraft positioning. I pretty much just use the left joystick to go up/down and around the vehicle (around is hard when the vehicle and wind combined is higher than 13mph, my Air2s struggling flying sideways at those speeds). You can use right joystick as well to adjust your distance from the subject.

Just keep an eye on the display as sometimes drone looses the subject and starts staring at some point in the ground and who knows it can always start following another car or something.

If you turn on “subject scanning” in settings it will be easier to select the subject even when it’s moving.

You can practice a bit while the car is stationary to get a hang of it.

Good luck

After you start Active Track you will be able to adjust aircraft positioning. I pretty much just use the left joystick to go up/down and around the vehicle (around is hard when the vehicle and wind combined is higher than 13mph, my Air2s struggling flying sideways at those speeds). You can use right joystick as well to adjust your distance from the subject.
Maria, are you aware you can use Active Track in Sport Mode for higher top speed? 19m/s (42mph) vs 12m/s (26mph). The Obstacle Avoidance is disabled, so this is really only suitable for tracking in open spaces.

Your comment about struggling sideways puzzles me... from the standpoint of flight direction, quads are omnidirectional, and should fly sideways no different than forwards (ignoring the slight difference in drag due to the larger profile of the main body from the side).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird