DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ACTUAL max microsd card size...

Geodesix

Reactions
I know the manual says 64gb, just curious if anyone's heard if a 200gb card would work as long as it's the correct speed and file system...? I ask because I already own a few and would prefer not to purchase more if I can use the higher capacity ones I already own. Other than a naza V2, this will be my first DJI product, I have a lot of other multirotors but first AP platform with a 3 axis gimbal for me...

I know with other DJI models you get an SD Card Error with micro SDs larger than 64GB. Would assume it will be the same with the Mavic but unfortunately cannot confirm 100% at the moment.

On my P3P at least, the 4gb file size cutoff is good for a little over nine minutes of 4K/24fps video, so in all honesty you could probably get away with a couple of 16gb cards if you wanted to swap them back and forth. And those are down to like $8-10 these days. (I know, it's less convenient.)

If you are going to shoot the entire flight at 4K it would pretty much fill the OEM card, so you would need one for every flight, and packing a laptop to transfer video between cards defeats the purpose of having a compact drone. So for my 4 battery setup a 64GB card is a must.

I would also caution against only using a single card for a whole day. SD media is volatile, and it can fault, causing the loss of the data. I plan on changing cards at each battery swap, and dumping the data to a SSD or something else. A lot of the time I will be able to have a computer with me, but for the time I do not, I have 2 64GB cards, and 2 32 GB cards available.

I run a 200GB card without issue in my P4. Not sure the make, I received it as a promotion when I bout my LG V10 last November. It has somewhere around 160GB of footage on it now, and I am not nearly good enough about offloading the footage regularly.

HEROPDX

Yes, I have 128GBs in all 3 of my P3As and have never had any issue. I I believe the max stated was 64GB as well.

I find for myself that its good practice to swap out cards between flights. In case my drone goes down, at least I have the last bit of footage that I captured. We all swap batteries between flights and it's pretty trivial to swap sd cards too.

I would also caution against only using a single card for a whole day. SD media is volatile, and it can fault, causing the loss of the data. I plan on changing cards at each battery swap, and dumping the data to a SSD or something else. A lot of the time I will be able to have a computer with me, but for the time I do not, I have 2 64GB cards, and 2 32 GB cards available.

too much work...I like to pop in a battery and take-off and not fiddle around with a something the size of my pinky nail every time i land/take-off.
I like to daily back-up and that's good enough for me, i dont need backup after each flight.
I've ran 200GB cards in my GoPro and $40 dash cam no problems and don't expect Mavic to be any different for any SDXC cards.

too much work...I like to pop in a battery and take-off and not fiddle around with a something the size of my pinky nail every time i land/take-off.
I like to daily back-up and that's good enough for me, i dont need backup after each flight.
I've ran 200GB cards in my GoPro and $40 dash cam no problems and don't expect Mavic to be any different for any SDXC cards.

Having lost an entire shoot because we didnt swap cards and the one we did have failed, cost us our entry into a film competition and the entry fee.

You dont have to swap, but know that these are volatile, and they can and do fail.

Reactions: twitchyzero
which brand/tier of cards?
my main camera uses Sandisk Extreme Pro (pre-WD)
i just ordered Samsung EVO Select
and will get the Sandisk Extreme when the 256GB version ships

yes and i can appreciate it..let's just agree frequent backup is better than no backups.
it would be safe to assume the risk of your bird falling into sea/somewhere inaccessible is a lot higher than SD card failure.
when I went on a 3 week trip my external SSD's connectors broke and I was literally holding my breath hoping I would never lose my bird when flying. Half way through my trip i was lucky enough to upload my videos up to that point to a family's computer just in case...still did not put me at ease haha.

There are pluses and minuses to swapping frequently -- you risk fewer videos but you increase the number of times you insert/remove the card which increases the chance of a failure.

For me running a good quality 64GB uSDXC card is the way to go. Get a fast one and spend the money for a Sandisk and test it -- if it gives you any problems return it and never use it again. If, however, you have no problem then you should be better off swapping less frequently but using top quality cards.

BTW, I've been using flash memory cards for critical photography and video work since 2002 and I've run afoul of problems related to crappy cards AND to too frequent swapping.

Brian

I have used 128GB cards in all 4 of my P3 drones, 3 - P3As and a P3P. I have filled the cards and have never, ever had any issue or lost any media. The 128GB cards have all worked flawlessly for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo