DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adam Bray, CEO of Skydio talked about DJI at Skydio Ascend 2024

anotherlab

Reactions
There's article posted on Digital Camera World that covers Bray's keynote address at SkyDio Ascend 2024 today. The article can be read at Skydio boss warns of PAIN for people who have built their businesses on DJI drones

The meat of the warning was in Bray's words: "It doesn't mean it is not painful... our focus is on the future... there's people out there that have built businesses on [DJI drones]"

So, both in context and, presumably, Skydio's CEO seems to support an anti-DJI stance and be prepared to lobby for it.

By acknowledging the pain caused by moving from a brand, he is also essentially warning DJI customers that they will have to pay for change to a US alternative at some point.

• Angry
Reactions: Torque
Well if they made something,anything of comparable quality to DJI,then maybe people would listen.In the meantime to put it bluntly in comparison to DJI,Skydio is junk period.Instead of badmouthing DJI do something about it and build comparable folding drones for the
consumer,talking about the full line mini ,air and pro comparable.
Apparently Bray and Co. feel it’s wiser to spend the money to bring down the entire consumer drone industry than to compete head on with DJI. Even they are betting against themselves.

I honestly don't think DJI is finished in the US; there's still more fight to be had. I'm just sad this huge distraction is costly and painful for everyone and the real impact won't be felt for years because this bill isn't the final word. If it doesn't pass, law-makers aren't just going to walk away. Too many promises have been made and they'll have to follow thru and the damage will be irreversible; setbacks will take a decade to recover. Skydio will be hugely impacted if DJI is not banned so there's going to be some losses somewhere. Really sad it has come down to this.

Too many promises have been made and they'll have to follow thru and the damage will be irreversible; setbacks will take a decade to recover.
That's quite negative in the outlook department !

They can follow through, but so can we, now we all appreciate how great the risk of a ban was / is. I am told that the Senate has removed the offending section from the NDA act, which will either result in them trying to stealth it through attached to something else, like they did initially, (though why they would try that again if it fails the first time I don't know) or effectively forcing it to stand on its own merits if re-tabled alone, which it can't really do without releasing the 'evidence' of DJI wrongdoing that they claim exists but is conveniently classified. But I think / hope there are enough people who rely on DJI stuff 'shouting' at Senators now to get and hold their attention. It is up to us (and by that I mean US pilots) to maintain that pressure until those types of bill and people like Adam Bray and Elise Stefanik are adequately rebuffed !

Last edited:
Our lawmakers are a good part of the reason our manufacturing base in the USA has eroded into the shell of our capabilities we once had. They allowed our big corporations to offshore many processes for “cheaper labor” which was only partially the reason. The major issues were costs to maintain compliance with OSHA and EPA legislation.

When the major corporations sent work offshore thousands of smaller private manufacturing businesses were no longer needed to support that product and were essentially forced to close down.

I used to be part of that work force.

That's quite negative in the outlook department !

They can follow through, but so can we, now we all appreciate how great the risk of a ban was / is. I am told that the Senate has removed the offending section from the NDA act, which will either result in them trying to stealth it through attached to something else, like they did initially, (though why they would try that again if it fails the first time I don't know) or effectively forcing it to stand on its own merits if re-tabled alone, which it can't really do without releasing the 'evidence' of DJI wrongdoing that they claim exists but is conveniently classified. But I think / hope there are enough people who rely on DJI stuff 'shouting' at Senators now to get and hold their attention. It is up to us (and by that I mean US pilots) to maintain that pressure until those types of bill and people like Adam Bray and Elise Stefanik are adequately rebuffed !
Agreed, the fight doesn't end there. There is a whole another judicial component of this should the ban success in Congress. That's where we all can become even more active.

Reactions: AeroJ
and people like Adam Bray and Elise Stefanik are adequately rebuffed !
I'd also quite like to see people like them ceremonially fired out of a canon into the desert or at least slapped round the face with a wet fish or by an angry cat until they apologise for their behaviour. Who do I write to about that ? :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mrprop365
I love to buy "American Made" products! However, when it comes to the business I'm in, photography, there is little to no equipment out there, especially when it comes to drones. There are no "American Made" consumer/prosumer drones that come close to the quality and price of a DJI drone - PERIOD!

I have written many emails and letters to various lawmakers, including my mayor, governor, etc., but have received no response. In my humble opinion restricting my purchasing ability is unconstitutional and that's as far as I can take my rant before it becomes "too political" in nature.

The US ceded the consumer electronics market to Asia decades ago. None of this is new. DJI could have side-stepped this issue by opening a manufacturing plant in the US like the foreign car companies did. But we are past that point.

Congress has pushed a false narrative about security issues as a means for blocking DJI. Tariffs are a way of leveling competition. But that only addresses the cost. DJI gained market share on price and functionality. Tariffs only address the former.

Exactly! No proof has ever been provided (that I know of)

Conversely, there have been several independent security audits that have found no issues - the most recent being 2024:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr