DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adding sound effects to drone footage

VegardBerland

Reactions
As we all know, the drone doesn't capture sound. So when making videos we have the option to add sound effects ourselves. My worry is always that it ruins the video if the sound effects don't quite match the footage. I've experimented a bit in this video with waves and would like some feedback if it's too much or feels natural.

I think you did a very good job..

There are of course ways to add audio from the location to your video, as you can screen record with audio or use other audio recording apps in the background as you fly, though that does create the possibility depending on how close you are to the drone, that you'll get the sound of the prop wash in the audio, and there probably isn't a super easy way to blank that out.

Reactions: VegardBerland
My worry is always that it ruins the video if the sound effects don't quite match the footage. I've experimented a bit in this video with waves and would like some feedback if it's too much or feels natural.
I think you've done a marvellous job of matching the sound to the waves. If I had seen your video with no explanation it would never have crossed my mind that the sound had been added in post.

I did something similar and added sound to my video in post. It is not as seamless as your video but I thought the sound of rushing water was more impactful than stock music. People say that your video should tell a story and the rushing water soundtrack conveys the power of the dam and movement of the water in my opinion. If my video was longer, I would've tried to mix in some music over top of the rushing water.

As we all know, the drone doesn't capture sound. So when making videos we have the option to add sound effects ourselves. My worry is always that it ruins the video if the sound effects don't quite match the footage. I've experimented a bit in this video with waves and would like some feedback if it's too much or feels natural.

Very well done! If I didn't read your introduction before watching the video I would've never guessed you added the waves soundtrack to it. Great job and nice video!

Excellent IMHO

In my opinion, you did a fantastic job finding the right wave sounds at the right timing in the ending. Nice flying, good lighting and exposures, smooth clips, great story telling....everything as I would have wanted it to be. Bravo.

Dale
Miami

Very well done. Had you NOT said, most would wonder how you got "nat sound" on a drone without the prop noise.

You are correct. Your music hits do not come close the key video action points. Have a look at Sonic Fire Pro. It pretty much allows you to do exactly what you think you should be doing.

I did something similar and added sound to my video in post. It is not as seamless as your video but I thought the sound of rushing water was more impactful than stock music. People say that your video should tell a story and the rushing water soundtrack conveys the power of the dam and movement of the water in my opinion. If my video was longer, I would've tried to mix in some music over top of the rushing water.

Pretty cool but I ceased to be "fooled" by the sound when it didn't increase as the drone flew closer.

Pretty cool but I ceased to be "fooled" by the sound when it didn't increase as the drone flew closer.
I was rushed an could not figure out how to ramp up the volume on the approach to the dam. Honestly, I’m still learning the basics of Divinic Resolve. One day, I’ll go back and fix the sound on that video.

I agree with others you have created a very special video, the audio matching is very good. The whole experience is superb. Congratulations!
The only thing I worried about, was the effects of the salt water and corrosion on your drone!

I think you did a very good job..

There are of course ways to add audio from the location to your video, as you can screen record with audio or use other audio recording apps in the background as you fly, though that does create the possibility depending on how close you are to the drone, that you'll get the sound of the prop wash in the audio, and there probably isn't a super easy way to blank that out.
Thank you! Yes, that is a possibility, but as you say, it may be hard to get good audio and avoid propeller noise in some situations.

I think you've done a marvellous job of matching the sound to the waves. If I had seen your video with no explanation it would never have crossed my mind that the sound had been added in post.
Thank you so much for the feedback! That's good to hear :)

Thanks for sharing! The sound sounds natural, but as mentioned by another, it would help if the sound got louder as it got closer :) But great work!

In my opinion, you did a fantastic job finding the right wave sounds at the right timing in the ending. Nice flying, good lighting and exposures, smooth clips, great story telling....everything as I would have wanted it to be. Bravo.

Dale
Miami
Thank you so much! Means a lot :) Used a lot of time finding the right sounds and fitting them into the video.

You are correct. Your music hits do not come close the key video action points. Have a look at Sonic Fire Pro. It pretty much allows you to do exactly what you think you should be doing.
Thanks for the feedback and tip. Will check it out :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu