DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Additional Restrictions When Flying the Mini 4 Pro Over 249 Grams, Recreational, USA?

smbishop

Flying in Texas
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have a Mini 4 Pro and regularly fly it recreationally with the Plus batteries in the U.S. It is registered, labeled (RID is automatic) and I understand the requirements for flying a sub 250 drone recreationally. What additional restrictions are there, when I fly over 249 grams?

Thank you!

I have a Mini 4 Pro and regularly fly it recreationally with the Plus batteries in the U.S. It is registered, labeled (RID is automatic) and I understand the requirements for flying a sub 250 drone recreationally. What additional restrictions are there, when I fly over 249 grams?

Thank you!
The same restrictions that apply to your <250g drone are the same for your >250g drone when you register it and fly recreationally. Meaning, nothing has changed; the weight of the drone (up to a certain large/heavy point) does not change the rules that U.S. recreational flyers must follow. Please continue to follow all applicable rules and if you are uncertain or forget those rules, you are welcome to refer back to the TRUST test to refresh your understanding.

The opposite is the most popular thinking: when your drone falls under a certain weight (250g) then you no longer need to follow certain restrictions. That would be incorrect as well. The bottom line is for the most part, the rules for recreational flyers (regardless the weight) are the same and you don't get less rules with a lightweight drone and you don't get more rules with a heavier drone.

Depending on your Mini 4 drone battery weight and the recent updates to the sw, your RID may behave a bit differently than you expect. Please check it out and fly safe!

The same restrictions that apply to your <250g drone are the same for your >250g drone when you register it and fly recreationally. Meaning, nothing has changed; the weight of the drone (up to a certain large/heavy point) does not change the rules that U.S. recreational flyers must follow. Please continue to follow all applicable rules and if you are uncertain or forget those rules, you are welcome to refer back to the TRUST test to refresh your understanding.

The opposite is the most popular thinking: when your drone falls under a certain weight (250g) then you no longer need to follow certain restrictions. That would be incorrect as well. The bottom line is for the most part, the rules for recreational flyers (regardless the weight) are the same and you don't get less rules with a lightweight drone and you don't get more rules with a heavier drone.

Depending on your Mini 4 drone battery weight and the recent updates to the sw, your RID may behave a bit differently than you expect. Please check it out and fly safe!
Thank you so much for this quick response. #flysafe !

Reactions: mavic3usa
@mavic3usa covered it pretty well. Only difference is under 250g you don't have to broadcast you're flying and who and where you are. You're allowed to be truly anonymous.

Your sub-250g drone may not allow it though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope