DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adjusting camera so video files are smaller

WNYBill

Reactions
Total amateur here. How do I change camera settings so my video files are smaller and can be attached to e-mails. Been watching YT till I am half blind.

Total amateur here. How do I change camera settings so my video files are smaller and can be attached to e-mails. Been watching YT till I am half blind.
Record video below 4K, 1080ppi gives you Blu-ray definition or use 3rd party editing apps and render to 1080/30fps or smaller. Result: smaller video files.

Reactions: Tr 68
No no - we don't attach raw video to emails. Even latest email attachment limits are around 30-50 MB tops, and unless you are talking about a tiny clip about 2 seconds long, video files are hundreds of megabytes, or even gigabytes of information so it is flat out impossible to mail those.

So what we do instead is simply upload it to youtube, (or similar video hosting platform) and then send the LINK to that youtube page in an email, which doesn't take any space at all. If you don't want it public, then just upload it UNLISTED - link will still work for anyone that has it, but won't appear in search results. The advantage this method has over regular cloud storage like DropBox etc is that youtube will present the video in the best way possible for whatever device it is being viewed on, which cloud servers don't, on the whole.

Last edited:
No no - we don't attach raw video to emails. Even latest email attachment limits are around 30-50 MB tops, and unless you are talking about a tiny clip about 2 seconds long, video files are hundreds of megabytes, or even gigabytes of information so it is flat out impossible to mail those.

So what we do instead is simply upload it to youtube, (or similar video hosting platform) and then send the LINK to that youtube page in an email, which doesn't take any space at all.
...or use something like Google Drive.

Reactions: Capt KO
I agree with both post 3 and 4

Reactions: sarahb
As AeroJ mentioned, YouTube (YT) is the best option. When I use Google Drive and send a link, the video doesn't start playing until a good chunk of it is downloaded.

By default, YouTube sets your resolution to Auto, which automatically uses the highest resolution that it can playback smoothly. The Auto setting will also change the resolution of the video on the fly if the speed of your connection fluctuates, so most of the time, you don’t have to do anything to get the highest quality video possible.

If the video is going to be seen on a smartphone or in a browser, anything over 480 or 720 is kinda wasted. If you don't have a capable video editor like Camtasia or Premiere, you can use Window's built-in Video Editor or Mac's to export the video with lower resolution and with higher compression. If you don't want to edit the video at all, you can run it through an app like the venerable old VLC Player to export a resized, smaller video.

Shoot with the drone at 1080 if it will allow it, or 2K. 4K only makes a difference in quality for video seen on large, high definition displays where it can make you say Wow...

All FWIW, IMHO, didn't see similar...

Reactions: AeroJ
If the video is going to be seen on a smartphone or in a browser, anything over 480 or 720 is kinda wasted. If you don't have a capable video editor like Camtasia or Premiere, you can use Window's built-in Video Editor or Mac's to export the video with lower resolution and with higher compression. If you don't want to edit the video at all, you can run it through an app like the venerable old VLC Player to export a resized, smaller video.

Shoot with the drone at 1080 if it will allow it, or 2K. 4K only makes a difference in quality for video seen on large, high definition displays where it can make you say Wow...

All FWIW, IMHO, didn't see similar...
I shoot in UHD 4K for my 4K Monitor & TV & Software.
Why? I like to see what my bird can do

I feel sorry for many [My Fault] thinking they
could or would like the 4K I used to send out.
I find out years later see that most just had a phone so my bad. Now I send in 720x480 they like that format better. :rolleyes:

I am blown away by the quality of the photos and video. I just have to learn more about using it. Could not be happier with my purchase.

...or use something like Google Drive.

...which will be necessary if there is a music copyright concern on YT, even though the non-commercial "Fair Use" principle applies.

I get caught by this now and then on YT and FB. Those rights-owners deserve a trip through a word chipper.

Reactions: mavic3usa

As others have said many times in many threads, always shoot 4K/60 if your workflow can accommodate it. If you're as noob/amateur as you can get, please please take a few minutes to get and learn about a transcoding tool, and convert the 4K/60 to whatever format you need (like 1080/30).

It's fine, of course, of you don't do this. The point is, though, you can never increase resolution. Shooting 4K/60 is future-proofing... you never know when you're going to want that resolution, and when you do, you'll kick yourself for saving bytes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rapidppoint