DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Adjusting CPL / ND-PL filter angle

cpper

Reactions
In Youtube videos describing how to attach filters to the Mini's camera, it's recommended that you do so while the drone is turned off, so the gimbal doesn't "fight" you. When it comes to CPL and ND-PL filters that need to be rotated before flying, it's advised to do so while the drone is turned on, because it's easier to figure out the perfect angle while watching the effect on the video feed.

When adjusting the filter with the drone on, you still need to hold the gimbal while rotating the filter. While doing so, you can still feel the gimbal trying to move. Is this safe for the gimbal ? Finding the ideal angle by powering the drone on and off would take a lot of time.

Reactions: gpanek
It's not the best at (or for) any time for the gimbal to be held when powered up.
I'm not too familiar with the Mini filters, do I think they have a mark on them so you can do one of 2 things . . .

1. Easiest, hold the filter by hand and look through it in the general direction or at water etc that you want to fly, turn until you are happy with the effect.
You may still need to fine tune with option 2.

2. Hold the powered up drone by hand (motors off of course) in the direction of flight with gimbal facing roughly up / down, and hold the filter in front and turn the PL lens while looking at the screen until happy ?

PLs are too darn fiddly / time consuming for my liking.
Why I hardly use anything but a CPL for anything special in photos, other filters for video are all plain ND.

Final thought. If you can get a rough idea from experience as to best way to fit for light, you might be able to adjust flight / gimbal direction to suit the filter position.
This ma or may not work for every flight.

Reactions: cpper
In Youtube videos describing how to attach filters to the Mini's camera, it's recommended that you do so while the drone is turned off, so the gimbal doesn't "fight" you. When it comes to CPL and ND-PL filters that need to be rotated before flying, it's advised to do so while the drone is turned on, because it's easier to figure out the perfect angle while watching the effect on the video feed.

When adjusting the filter with the drone on, you still need to hold the gimbal while rotating the filter. While doing so, you can still feel the gimbal trying to move. Is this safe for the gimbal ? Finding the ideal angle by powering the drone on and off would take a lot of time.
I have CPL filters on all my drones. I turn the drone on and point the camera at a reflective surface as if I were in flight at an angle to a body of water. Then, while it's on I grab the gimbal and rotate the CPL until the reflections disappear for the most part. Holding the gimbal and causing an overload error many times did not cause any damage to my drones. I have even accidentally left my gimbal protector on one of my DJI drones and flew it. The gimbal didn't get damaged.

Set your filter before you attach it to the camera. Look through the filter, you can clearly see the effect of cpl, than use the position.

Although popular with flyers shopping for accessories, polarising filters are more trouble than their limited usefulness is worth.

Once it's aligned properly for a particular subject, it's not aligned properly for any other direction you choose to fly.
Unless you plan to only fly and film in one direction, your are better off without them.

Reactions: cpper
Polarizers only work fully when the camera is facing 90 degrees to the direction of the sunlight source. The effect rolls off gradually as you change that angle until is it not in effect. If you're flying high with a lot of sky, then you may see the effect on one end of the sky and not the other. Too risky, so I don't use them. I do use them on my land based cameras.

Put the sun at your back and have the clouds in your shot. Turn the filter circle until the sky is darkest. Then fly with the sun at you back to get the polarizing effect.

Reactions: wadesair2s
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3