DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADS-B on Air 2S Dropped from Mavic Air 2?

So another thread had a link to an official DJI release on RID and it had some clarifying side information on ADS-B in their drones...

"We [DJI] also have committed to installing ADS-B receivers into each new model that weighs above 250 grams, to enhance drone pilot awareness of nearby air traffic, in an effort to reduce the likelihood of collision."

So it appears it will stay on the MA2 and not be highlighted. Possibly since they apparently only equipped North American MA2s with receivers, maybe they're concerned that stating it clearly in their specs as a feature on the MA2 would obligate them to update owners of non ADS-B MA2s with free newer models as this seems to be a hardware related feature that cannot be added via firmware updates.

I agree with the sentiment and logic about showing standardized specs to cover their proverbial *****, and I think I offered up a similar possibility earlier in this thread, other than to say I think that DJI has websites set up for each country or region( I could be very wrong here, so forgive me) like other companies do. I don't remember seeing anything in the specs on the US site about the Japan only battery for the MM to keep it under their weight restrictions

UPDATE on my replacement Maviv Air2. It still has ADS-B or AirSense as they call it. I bought it 8 months ago and sent it in for replacement through care refresh. The replacement doesn't have the ADS-B label on the arm, but It still has it woriking internally. I've flown it to check and it alerts me to close aircraft.

Reactions: Yeunglings
I agree with the sentiment and logic about showing standardized specs to cover their proverbial *****, and I think I offered up a similar possibility earlier in this thread, other than to say I think that DJI has websites set up for each country or region( I could be very wrong here, so forgive me) like other companies do. I don't remember seeing anything in the specs on the US site about the Japan only battery for the MM to keep it under their weight restrictions
UPDATE on my replacement Mavic Air2. It still has ADS-B or AirSense as they call it. I bought it 8 months ago and sent it in for replacement through care refresh. The replacement doesn't have the ADS-B label on the arm, but It still has it woriking internally. I've flown it to check and it alerts me to close aircraft.

Is there any way to get airsense to show meaningful information like altitude of incoming aircraft? I keep getting alerts from"nearby" aircraft that are 7000ft up which while nice to know isn't really a danger considering I'm only 400ft up.
I believe airsense on the M2E would show the relevant information but it's very dumbed down on the consumer level drones..

Is there any way to get airsense to show meaningful information like altitude of incoming aircraft? I keep getting alerts from"nearby" aircraft that are 7000ft up which while nice to know isn't really a danger considering I'm only 400ft up.
I believe airsense on the M2E would show the relevant information but it's very dumbed down on the consumer level drones..
No. It just goes by horizontal distance. Altitude isn't factored in. Nor is direction. Its a stupid system. A total waist of money and adds excess weight to the drone. It's a political move, i suspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
No. It just goes by horizontal distance. Altitude isn't factored in. Nor is direction. Its a stupid system. A total waist of money and adds excess weight to the drone. It's a political move, i suspect.
Sorry i beg to differ,i get no warnings at all from any high flyers never had any alerts personally over 2800 foot.
saying that i still get the alert if i am on the ground motors running.i wonder what the highest anyone has had an alert ?
could be setup in the usa a bit different i guess.

I think, but honestly am not sure, that if you change the sensitivity from low, medium and high risk to medium and high or just high risk you won't see alerts from the high flying aircraft. I know that after an update I wasn't getting notifications when I could see and hear the plane or helicopter and couldn't understand why. I found out that the update had changed to high risk only and once I'd selected all 3 I was getting alerts like crazy. Personally I'd rather be bothered with that then be unsure if it was on and working properly.

I think, but honestly am not sure, that if you change the sensitivity from low, medium and high risk to medium and high or just high risk you won't see alerts from the high flying aircraft. I know that after an update I wasn't getting notifications when I could see and hear the plane or helicopter and couldn't understand why. I found out that the update had changed to high risk only and once I'd selected all 3 I was getting alerts like crazy. Personally I'd rather be bothered with that then be unsure if it was on and working properly.
yes i only ever have it on the most sensitive setting,its the bottom one i believe.

Sorry i beg to differ,i get no warnings at all from any high flyers never had any alerts personally over 2800 foot.
saying that i still get the alert if i am on the ground motors running.i wonder what the highest anyone has had an alert ?
Don't know. I'm USA. It seems altitude is limited. no notification over 2000 ft or so. i live near a small aircraft/jet port. I get lots of warnings.

Don't know. I'm USA. It seems altitude is limited. no notification over 2000 ft or so. i live near a small aircraft/jet port. I get lots of warnings.
sounds similar to what i get .i live directly under a huge uk airway that is above 30k foot ,imagine it would be a pita if those birds at that altitude was giving alerts .... ?

This reply does not seem to differ from from the quote above that you believe it disagrees with... read it again. Post #26 above.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
This reply does not seem to differ from from the quote above that you believe it disagrees with... read it again. Post #26 above.
i was disagreeing with the altitude is no factored in the alerts ,it sure is on mine,thats all i know.

Guys, you're only getting an alert when the algorithms decide that there is a 'risk of collision'...and tbh that's the entire purpose of the system. I don't care that there are planes 5 miles away at 30k feet.
Everything is taken into consideration, trust me... I've had to dig deep into this.

Guys, you're only getting an alert when the algorithms decide that there is a 'risk of collision'...and tbh that's the entire purpose of the system. I don't care that there are planes 5 miles away at 30k feet.
Everything is taken into consideration, trust me... I've had to dig deep into this.
You are correct GB we know this from all the testing we did before ,i was trying explain altitude does 100% come into the equation. ;)

Reactions: gb160
You are correct GB we know this from all the testing we did before ,i was trying explain altitude does 100% come into the equation. ;)
Of course it does mate, calculating risk of collision is literally impossible without it.

I know altitude is a factor, but is there a value it kicks in for alert, or does it also depend on horizontal proximity at the same time. From my experience, i don't seem to get warnings from planes over 4000ft or around 1220m. I live near a small aircraft/jet port, so I have a lot of experience with the ADS-B warnings.

I know altitude is a factor, but is there a value it kicks in for alert, or does it also depend on horizontal proximity at the same time. From my experience, i don't seem to get warnings from planes over 4000ft or around 1220m. I live near a small aircraft/jet port, so I have a lot of experience with the ADS-B warnings.
You won't get warnings if there is no risk of collision mate.

If I understand correctly air sense on s models and on air mavic 2 works only in USA and not work in Europe, because mavic air 2 I understand ending model MA2UE3W should have the ADSB chip. Only it’s not work in Europe

If I understand correctly air sense on s models and on air mavic 2 works only in USA and not work in Europe, because mavic air 2 I understand ending model MA2UE3W should have the ADSB chip. Only it’s not work in Europe
From what I remember when the MA2 first came out and doing a( very) small amount of research most of the world did not get the ads-b module due in pat to a chip/ module shortage but it's possible that later runs may have had them installed but disabled. Presumably to be activated by a firmware update? One thread made mention of the US and Canada using a different frequency but then that would defeat the purpose of utilizing the ads-b standard so I'm not sure how accurate that part is. If the installed but disabled part is true then it would make sense to not advertise its inclusion because then you would have a ton of people either screaming for it to be turned on or why was it turned off when they had already paid for it or you'd have backyard garage gearheads trying to figure out how to turn it on and possibly breaking the thing. Some features with the 'via a future update' disclaimer are fine but a safety feature that maybe hasnt been approved by your country's governing body or isn't physically installed in all runs probably isn't something you want to showcase on your packaging/ website. Some people in Europe have claimed to spoof their GPS location to activate it but then when actually launching it gets turned off when the drone sees for itself where it is. Again, much like my own statements here, take it all with a grain of salt.

If you have a 3W model on an Air 2 air-sense works fine anywhere if you get the correct fly app.see (gb160) for this awesome software mod.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada