DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADS-B Question

ADS-B In/Out its alive and tracking me So any nut in the neighborhood with phone App can collect the bounty on another drone.
Your drone has no ADSB out.
No-one is tracking your drone with ADSB
Youd think all helicopters are retrofitted with ADS-B. Id like to think so.
They only need it if they fly here:

Reactions: dawgpilot
Meta4, Im willing to bet your paycheck on that.

As to jamming up the ADS-B frequency, Im willing to bet DawgPilot's paycheck that the FAA is lying through their pie-hole. A free and simple system (ADS-B) isnt profitable for the Scuds. Read DJI rep's article. Link provided a few posts previous. Ill wager my own money this country wont be a Republic in 4 years.

Take a gander at Flightradar24, at any moment Ill wager there's a triple digit count of manned aircraft are transiting the USofAnarchy. Flightradar24 is employing ADS-B to acquire flight positioning. Ive not heard of any squawking about frequency overload. Their can hardly occur that many drone pilots in the country are simultaneous enjoying the airways. Criminals get fat off the graft and corruption, and sit at the head of most every goobermint table.

Last edited:
Be wary of flight tracker apps because even if the manned aircraft transmit ADSB (lots wont), to show up on a flight tracker it has to (i) be in range of a receiving station and (ii) not be on an opt-out list with the tracking service. FR24 for example has roughly 7-10,000 blocked a/c worldwide including nearly all military and so on.

Airsense is a better option as it'll receive ADS-B even if the aircraft has opted out of public tracking assuming the aircraft is actually transmitting.

ADS-B Out is not required at low-altitude Class E airspace​

Most countries that already use ADS-B technology utilize the 1090 MHz frequency band for transmission of signals. More recently, the FAA has announced plans of separating ADS-B signal transmission to 978 MHz and 1090 MHz, with aircraft flying at low altitudes (below 18,000 feet) using the 978-MHz link. This is in a bid to avoid the congestion of the 1090 MHz frequency band.

One of the most glaring flaws of FAA’s ADS-B requirement...is that it’s not even required in the type of airspace that most drone pilots fly in. Specifically, ADS-B Out is only required at above 10,000 feet MSL when flying in Class E airspace.
Since drones are limited to flying at 400 feet AGL, practically any type of aircraft that poses a threat of a mid-air collision with them in Class E airspace is not required to broadcast ADS-B Out signals. This somehow defeats the purpose of having an ADS-B receiver.

For instance, a helicopter flying at 500 feet AGL in Class E airspace is not required by the FAA to have an ADS-B Out service. However, the fact that it’s flying at low altitudes and the naturally erratic flight patterns of helicopters means that drone pilots should be very wary of them. Without transmitting ADS-B signals, drone pilots are left to rely on their eyes and ears again, despite having this newfangled ADS-B receiver. What is ADS-B and How Is It Useful to Drone Pilots? published May 27, 2020 [The above are segments of the article.]

I wouldnt bet a dime on accuracy of internet publication to say the most of the above article extract but a few questions of mine are about to be answered. Ive inquired with DJI Technical Support; which frequency and whether ADS-B OUT is on board my MA2. Before DJI responds, Ive additional research on the transmitter side of the question (IN/OUT), looks like Meta4 should be paying out ? ADS-B OUT transponders are larger than a MA2 battery and require substantial power.

Drones most often fly in Class G and sometime below Class E airspace where FFA authorization is not required.
I believe the MA2 was released in April 2020. The article was published the next month.

Last edited:
I'm confused. You admit ADS-B OUT is unlikely in MA2 due to size and power requirements, but you say Meta is wrong by saying he needs to pay out on the bet when he also said MA2 ADS-B is IN only.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Its in.
For ADSB out you'd need every drone to have ICAO registration and be allocated a unique hex code for starters.

I'm confused. You admit ADS-B OUT is unlikely in MA2 due to size and power requirements, but you say Meta is wrong by saying he needs to pay out on the bet when he also said MA2 ADS-B is IN only.
A joke my friend. I wasnt saying he was wrong. I was betting he was right. FYI, You cant bet what you dont have. I have to do my research before I bet my own money ? As to the Republic falling, Ive done my research.

Last edited:
A joke my friend. I wasnt saying he was wrong. I was betting he was right. FYI, You cant bet what you dont have. I have to do my research before I bet my own money ? As to the Republic falling, Ive done my research.
DJI Tech Support sez the MA2 receives on both 978 and 1090MHz. The question whether it has ADS-B OUT capability is a SECRET, so Im told.
I was looking into Echo UAT ADS-B specs. for an example. 95g (~3oz) is their total weight. The Echo is a pricey piece of hardware @ $400+. Manufacturers cost could be but a very small % of market MSRP. Shirley DJI has fit all necessary electronics on a tongue depressor size pcb and slipped it inside the RC or/and A/C?

DJI wouldn't be able to hide a transmitter. It has to be registered with FCC.
Every individual drone would have to be registered with the ICAO, allocated a unique hex code and as you say, have a transmitter thats about 2x the size,4x the weight and 4x the power consumption of a mavic itself.

They cannot, do not and will not have ADSB-Out.

Reactions: dawgpilot and Meta4
So any nut in the neighborhood with phone App can collect the bounty on another drone.
That would only be a problem if you were doing something illegal!
Since drones are limited to flying at 400 feet AGL, practically any type of aircraft that poses a threat of a mid-air collision with them in Class E airspace is not required to broadcast ADS-B Out signals. This somehow defeats the purpose of having an ADS-B receiver.
I think you’re missing the point. Having some sort of remote ID on the drone is potentially more that aircraft can see you rather than you being able to see them - many aircraft that don’t have ADS-B out still have an ADS-B receiver. Aircraft are large and comparatively noisy so if they’re anywhere near your drone (which is, obviously, within VLOS), you should be able to see and avoid them. Your drone, on the other hand, is small, very difficult to see at the best of times and can’t be heard by the aircraft.

I really can’t see the problem with remote ID in general, however it’s finally implemented. If you’re not doing anything illegal, no one will ever bother you. In some ways it’s an advantage as you’ll be able to prove you weren’t doing anything wrong.

Last edited:
In some ways it’s an advantage as you’ll be able to prove you weren’t doing anything wrong.
A point many people overlook.
Ive had exactly 1 incident with the police involving drones. Producing my flight logs for the flight in question proved to them completely no laws were broken and the operation was 100% legal. Result was the report was false.

Wouldn't it be easier to just fly along with a receiver that picks up mode c? Then you'd look for something near you based on altitude. And if it is within receiving range better look out for it. Had to complicate it though with full squitter output. There are still lots of machines out there using only mode C or mode S. Mode S was a can't turn off the transponder so that they could keep track of terrorists. Terrorists would still blow a hole through the transponder even if it stays turned on. And there's nothing in the specification of mode S or ADS-B that specifies just how many suspected terrorists are on board. Would help us if we could receive that information, but it's not in the squitter.

Not sure I'd trust the response times on it. The latency varies. Some out transmissions can be picked up several miles away, and some don't pick up until they are right on top of you. And they want to get planes stacked on top of each other like rush hour traffic, because ADS-B can defeat the limitations imposed by radar up to a point. Think I'd rather have the significant space in all directions.

Look all 5 ways before crossing the street.

If DJI wants to have ADS-B Out capabilities, they could put the transmitter in the remote controller. As long as the drone can communicate with the RC, the RC could broadcast the drone's location. That would move the weight and power issues from the drone to the RC. I don't know how practical it would be to build it (cost, power, weight), and you would find drone operators who would not want to broadcast their drone's location. But it could be done.

If DJI wants to have ADS-B Out capabilities, they could put the transmitter in the remote controller. As long as the drone can communicate with the RC, the RC could broadcast the drone's location. That would move the weight and power issues from the drone to the RC. I don't know how practical it would be to build it (cost, power, weight), and you would find drone operators who would not want to broadcast their drone's location. But it could be done.
It won't reach very far on the ground though, otherwise I'd think that would be the only way they could do it. Drone is having a hard time keeping itself in the air as it is. FAA said something about Remote ID not being required below 400' AGL.

Reactions: dawgpilot
It won't reach very far on the ground though, otherwise I'd think that would be the only way they could do it. Drone is having a hard time keeping itself in the air as it is. FAA said something about Remote ID not being required below 400' AGL.
Since we're all supposed to be 400ft AGL, that would seem pointless.

The idea of integrating the ADS-B OUT into the RC is the most likely avenue, if opinions matter; as it may already exist. It sends the signal to the 400' height antenna and onward from there. 700' is the base of uncontrolled Class E airspace aloft. Otherwise, we fly, without needing FAA kiss of approval in Glass G. The turd copters that are too cheap to install ADS-B OUT generally fly in Class G airspace, and higher uncontrolled airspace. However, 700+ requires ADS-B OUT.

If I were of the suspicious and doubtful nature, Id say its all about commercialization of drone airspace. Of course the local Amazon or FedEx deliveries would become exempt from VLOS regulation and have the right-o-way to fly their Waypoint track unimpeded.

As to the remark, why worry if youre not doing anything illegal. Flying over a farm/ranch field in open airspace and getting shot at by wacko redneck is not unheard of. Or flying over a deserted neighborhood (no kiddies running around) and being accosted by Ms. Droopy Drawers (with an ADS-B rcvr draped over her indian clubs) accusing a droner of window peeping, is also not unheard of either.

Reminds me of those believing in mandatory car insurance. Ill follow the rules, just mind your own. I think its the 9th Commandment; give unto Caesar till it hurts. Yes, mixed metaphors.

Or flying over a deserted neighborhood (no kiddies running around) and being accosted by Ms. Droopy Drawers (with an ADS-B rcvr draped over her indian clubs) accusing a droner of window peeping, is also not unheard of either.
What's really unheard of is a consumer drone that has ADSB-out.
No-one is picking up details of your drone with ADSB, because your drone cannot and does not transmit anything on ADSB.

...If I were of the suspicious and doubtful nature, Id say its all about commercialization of drone airspace. Of course the local Amazon or FedEx deliveries would become exempt from VLOS regulation and have the right-o-way to fly their Waypoint track unimpeded....
I think unmanned deliveries might be what it takes to take to bring ADS-B transmitters down to commodity pricing. Taking everything else off the table, having bi-directional ADB-B on delivery drones would keep them from colliding into each other. If you through enough money on a technical problem, the resolution becomes cheap.

Wouldn't it be easier to just fly along with a receiver that picks up mode c? Then you'd look for something near you based on altitude. And if it is within receiving range better look out for it. Had to complicate it though with full squitter output. There are still lots of machines out there using only mode C or mode S.
Problem with mode C is its going to give you nothing more than a squawk code you cant do anything with and a coarse altitude to within 100ft or so. It wont give you any positioning data at all.
Tracking sites need to use fairly complex maths and multilateration from many receivers to actually get a coarse location for a Mode C (or A) contact.
You'd still have the issue at low level where drones are (hills, valleys, obstructions) of not picking up a signal at all until its almost on top of you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer