DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advantages of Mavic Air vs Mavic Pro

Storyline

Reactions
This is similar to a post I have made on the Mavic Pro sub-forum.

I bought my Mavic Pro on the spur of the moment as Amazon were promoting their new same day service and had an incredible deal on the Fly More package. I had less than an hour to order so I had a quick look at the Mavic Air but I think I must have got the wrong end of the stick as I thought range was limited to WiFi signal power.

Now I have renewed interest in the Air having seen the favourable comparisons of image quality vs the new Mavic Pro 2.
So for Mavic Air owners who have also had experience of the Mavic Pro, what are the main differences between the two apart from size/weight and the camera performance ? Also, are there any significant disadvantages of the Air ?

Reactions: GlenS

I bought my Mavic Pro on the spur of the moment as Amazon were promoting their new same day service and had an incredible deal on the Fly More package. I had less than an hour to order so I had a quick look at the Mavic Air but I think I must have got the wrong end of the stick as I thought range was limited to WiFi signal power.

Now I have renewed interest in the Air having seen the favourable comparisons of image quality vs the new Mavic Pro 2.
So for Mavic Air owners who have also had experience of the Mavic Pro, what are the main differences between the two apart from size/weight and the camera performance ? Also, are there any significant disadvantages of the Air ?

I’ve owned both. Had a Pro and loved it but sold it about a year ago as wasn’t flying it much. By early Spring I was missing flying so went for an Air as I knew that the range would be fine for my needs, which has absolutely proved to be the case. The only real perceived disadvantages of the Air over the Pro are range and flight time. The range on the Air is fantastic and more than enough - unless you’re an avid range tester you’ll never want to fly more than c1km. It really is a long way. Flight time, you’ll get c15 mins or more if you want to push it so again more than enough.
All in all, I’m supremely happy with my Air, and while tempted by the Mavic 2 I can’t just can’t give up the size and portability advantage. Go for it.

I have the Air and love it. I really planned to keep it even though I purchased a Mavic 2 Pro. You mentioned that the favorable comparison with the M2P and I have to say, DLog-M, 10-bit and h265 are game-changers if you know how to use them. If you are after point and shoot type video, maybe not, but even in standard h264 mode, the M2P blows away the Air in my experience.

I find the Air camera on par with the Mavic Pro camera, but the Pro has additional features which make it attractive.

As far as flight characteristics, the Air is incredibly impressive and I would have never known what I was missing until I got the M2P. Occusync (1 or 2) is much better than the Air's WiFi once you get some distance between the aircraft and yourself. The Air is super impressive, though and I keep trying to justify keeping it but I think it's going to go up for sale before too long.

Reactions: mrparish
I've used the air and Mavic Pro quite a bit. I own an Air though.

Air Advantages:

- Significantly better video quality
- Much smaller and much lighter
- Better obstacle sensing
- Better Autonomous modes
- Much better design with a protected gimbal (somewhat subjective - I wish the Mavic 2 looked like a bigger Air)
- Removable controller sticks makes a big difference to overall portability
- 4KM range is more than most people will ever need, and far beyond legal VLOS unless you have a spotter with binoculars or a spotting scope
- Slightly faster top speed
- Significantly cheaper

Mavic Pro Advantages:

- Longer maximum flight time
- Longer maximum range
- Quieter, but neither are at all quiet and will draw the same attention if you are anywhere near other people
- Controller has a LCD screen for fight data (but also makes it larger/heavier)
- Exposure wheel on controller

The Mavic 2 changes the balance of this list if size, weight, and price are not of concern. The Zoom model has similar IQ to the Mavic Air, but you are going to get the big upgrades like 1080P occusync, variable aperture, 8km range, and omnidirectional sensing. The Pro model gets you more yet, however video image quality is somewhat disappointing (compared to the P4P using the same sensor). Still images are an order of magnitude better than anything produced b the 12 MP 1/2.3" sensors in the MP, M2Z, and Air. The Mavic 2 is also over two times the size and weight of the Air, even before taking into account accessories like extra batteries, which are quite a bit larger even than original MP batteries - something to consider if you're a hiker or a traveler.

I plan to supplement my Air with a Pro 2 - they compliment each-other nicely. Maybe even a Phantom 5 if it turns out to have foldable landing gear :p

Reactions: gyrex
Thanks for the replies guys - they are exactly what I was hoping for :)

The Air does sound very attractive now I realise the range would be more than adequate for my needs.

I have had a look at a lot of the image comparisons around at the moment and can see it is significantly better than my Pro. However I have quite a bit of cash tied up in accessories, particularly a range of Polar Pro NDPL filters. As I mainly shoot video at quite a slow frame rate / shutter speed and over water quite a lot I find I have to use a filter most of the time or the sky will get blown out. Could someone with an Air comment on how much they need filters given that the lens is a bit smaller at f/2.8 ?

Having said all that I am still really impressed with the results from the whole Mavic series including my Pro. Like all photography the most important thing is to wait for the right light and if you get that right then even my Pro can produce some gorgeous results. It is just so intriguing that an aircraft significantly cheaper can do even better !

I do use filters (usually nd32) on my Air and they do make a difference. Having said I’ve found that the difference (motion blur etc) is far less pronounced on the Air than it was on the Pro. I’ve often forgotten to pack the filters and have got some of my best footage on the Air on auto! And that’s something I never would have got on the Pro. I’m not dissing the Pro by the way, it’s an amazing bit of kit - I’m just happier with the Air as it’s such a joy to use.

I have had a look at a lot of the image comparisons around at the moment and can see it is significantly better than my Pro. However I have quite a bit of cash tied up in accessories, particularly a range of Polar Pro NDPL filters. As I mainly shoot video at quite a slow frame rate / shutter speed and over water quite a lot I find I have to use a filter most of the time or the sky will get blown out. Could someone with an Air comment on how much they need filters given that the lens is a bit smaller at f/2.8 ?
!

It depends entirely on where you fly. If you live/fly somewhere that is always overcast, you probably won't need more than a ND8. If you live somewhere bright & sunny, or travel to tropical areas, you will be using ND16 and ND32 most of the time.

ND8/16/32 covers off 90% of the situations with the Air for ISO 100 and 30FPS (1/60 shutter).

Add a ND4 if you do a lot of dawn/dusk flying and consider a ND64 if you fly over snow in the bright sun, or a similar extreme brightness scenario.

For the Air I have a ND8/16/32/32PL.

Reactions: NAVMAV

I just sold my phantom. It was an amazing drone but just to big. I just purchased a black MA because I thought black would be the most visible. I travel and space is important, with it being so small I can take it out most anywhere ( being responsible in situations) no crowds flock around you and take off is fast and for the most part unnoticed . I thought the noise level was going to be horrible with this little guy but I do not find that to be the case at all. Flight time with the 3 batteries is more than I need. I was thinking of the pro2 but decided not to get it as the drone laws are going to get worse unfortunately and I feel drones will keep getting smaller with the more advanced features. It handles the wind well and no breakup with the signal as of yet. Great photos so far but my video is a little grainy due to wrong exposure on my side I am hoping the new filters I just purchased will help take care of that. I am just amazed at what this tiny drone can do. It was a no brained for my situation.

Reactions: mrparish
I have had the Mavic Pro for about a year along with a P4A which I used for quality and the MP for portability. the image quality on the MP is good but poor in low light. the P4A is just plain awesome. I just sold the P4A and picked up a new MA for $500 which came with the fly more bundle. With the new firmware you have exposure wheel adjust which is nice and the image quality is better than the MP. My only complaint if 15 fly time vs 20 min (safe) that 5 minute can be huge if you are flying in Mazatlan across open water. As far as portability I would say they are equal as the cases are the same size seeing you need 4 batteries with the MA and only 2 or 3 with the MP.
I like them both and am going back to Mazatlan in Feb, this time I may take the MA but will not be flying to the islands as I don't think it can make the round trip it due to shorter flight time. Plenty to film on shore.

I have both, a Mavic Pro and a Mavic Air. I also have a Phantom 4 and had a Spark before the Air.

I really like the Mavic Pro and prefer flying it over the P4. Range and battery life are about the same, but video quality is slightly better on the P4. Portability on the Mavic means it is the drone of choice and it is faster to get in the air.

Now last year I wanted to take a drone on holiday, but with all of the other tech I decided to buy a Spark. A great little drone, but not in the Mavic's class for range and signal, or video.

So enter the Air, everything the Spark should have been and more, I absolutely love it. It is great to fly, has some great features and is both very stable and gives good video.

Range is not as good as a Mavic Pro and I have lost signal on it once when it went over some trees, so need to be a little more careful. Battery life is easily adequate for what I do and if you buy the fly more you get three batteries, plenty for me.

The Air is not as fast to get set up as the Spark and may be slightly quicker than a Pro, but not much in it. The Air is a lot smaller and lighter.

If I was driving to my drone flying site, there would be no contest, I would take my P4 or more likely Pro. But I don't, I take a drone out walking with me and get set up, take a bit of video and get packed away, that's why I like the Air.

If I could only have one drone, it would be an Air. However, I would be perfectly happy to just own a Mavic Pro and the new Mavic has a lot more features. Hope that helps.

Search YouTube and DrRobinJ for videos from Mavic Pro and Air.

I have both and the biggest difference for me is that the Air behaves better indoors with no GPS signal. I try to fly every day so when the weather is bad, the Air is great.

With the new firmware you have exposure wheel adjust which is nice and the image quality is better than the MP.
What firmware offers an exposure wheel adjustment.
Are you saying this replaces the gimbal tilt with exposure adjust?

I have the air and the only things I am really missing are the speed in p mode and 4x zoom. It gets your videos a completely different dynamism if you are zipping around your subject at some 50kmh from a distance and have the angles frame of a telephoto.

Thanks for even more great replies and they answer all the things I was hoping for.

I mainly use the same camera settings as CanadaDrone and usually end up using the same NDPL filter strengths. I made a mistake initially and bought the Polar Pro set that was 4-8-16 and very quickly realised that I needed something more so had to buy a 32 as a one off which was an expensive way to do it. IMO the standard Mavic kit should be 8-16-32 as I rarely use the 4.

I am really torn what to do. I think it is clear that I would be better off with the Air given my usual usage but the only real way to tell is a side by side comparison. There is no way I can justify owning two drones that are so similar so I think I will wait until I am feeling flush with cash and buy an Air and see the real difference for myself. Then one will have to be sold.

I have had a Phantom in the past and agree with what you all say, these Mavics are just a joy to set up and fly. Somehow I get no stress and launching feels so relaxed now I know she will go up 4 feet and then just hover there waiting for me. The Phantom was much more of a handful and I had to choose take off location with care and even when flying became instinctive I always had a bit of anxiety. If the Air is even slightly better than the Mavic then I know I will love it. It makes you look forward to the future as rwj says, drones will become smaller and more advanced - imagine when the knowledge of AI they are getting from researching autonomous cars gets used - bring it on ;)

I also do not understand what Endeavor means when he mentions Exposure wheel adjust ...... Having control over the exposure would be the main reason for me to get the M2 I think as then I could just have a single PL filter to cover most situations. That effectively knocks over £100 off the price. However now it appears the M2 camera has been compromised by the physical constraints of size my Mavic Pro or an Air will be the right stop gap until the M3 or other arrives in a year or two. Either of those two aircraft can produce results that make me look like the weakest link in the video making system. I have a lot to learn about composition and editing still.

If I was driving to my drone flying site, there would be no contest, I would take my P4 or more likely Pro. But I don't, I take a drone out walking with me and get set up, take a bit of video and get packed away, that's why I like the Air.
So the only reasons to take the Mavic is flight time and range ?

I have both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air. After getting my Air, I preferred flying it a lot more, because of the camera, size, portability, safety features, etc. I have 3 batteries as opposed to 2 for my MP, so I'm getting plenty of flight time on both. Oddly enough, the last 2 times I flew, I went back to my trusty Mavic Pro. One was on a very windy day, and as usual performed like a pro (pardon the pun), and the next day, I just happened to not unpack my bags, and flew the Pro. I really do enjoy both. I have a vacation planned for San Francisco in July 2019, so I will be bringing both, since I'll be traveling with family, including my nephew who's a much better drone videographer than me, despite not owning any drones, he flies my drones.

I'm almost convinced that having both will be better. Currently flying with Mavic Pro is a breeze. I love it. But I'm always looking for some additional trill so flying inside with Air might be a good way to go.

@Scott & @jimmy - you bastards - I can now see myself several hundred pounds poorer by following you and having both a Pro & Air ;)

Edit : @jimmy - seriously though, if you fancy flying indoors have you considered a Tello ? This is a mini drone made for DJI with an onboard camera. The camera does not have a gimbal but it is better than I expected.

It is great fun to fly and streets ahead of the only other mini drone I have tried which is a Hubsan. There is no controller but I strongly advise getting one (GameSir T1d) and then you have two sticks. You can fly outside if it is calm but it has no GPS, just a basic visual positioning system.

If you are in the UK there is a guy selling one with loads of extras (£100 for £200 of stuff). He is over on Tello Pilots.

Last edited:
@Scott & @jimmy - you bastards - I can now see myself several hundred pounds poorer by following you and having both a Pro & Air ;)

Edit : @jimmy - seriously though, if you fancy flying indoors have you considered a Tello ? This is a mini drone made for DJI with an onboard camera. The camera does not have a gimbal but it is better than I expected.

It is great fun to fly and streets ahead of the only other mini drone I have tried which is a Hubsan. There is no controller but I strongly advise getting one (GameSir T1d) and then you have two sticks. You can fly outside if it is calm but it has no GPS, just a basic visual positioning system.

If you are in the UK there is a guy selling one with loads of extras (£100 for £200 of stuff). He is over on Tello Pilots.
Storyline, the purchases of both drones were a year apart, so that helped take away some of the stress to my wallet.

Honestly, it’s the best of both worlds. And this hobby is all about fun (in my opinion), and, you only live once, go for it.

What firmware offers an exposure wheel adjustment.
Are you saying this replaces the gimbal tilt with exposure adjust?

The most recent firmware and no it doesn’t replace the gimbal tilt. Here’s a photo to help.

IMG_5192.JPG

Reactions: MichaelJ

Sounds good, thanks man.
A friend of mine have Tello, so will find some time to give it a try.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21