DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advantages of Smart Controller

I got SC in FM package with MA2, my 2nd drone. My first was just a little earlier, a mini 2. (Unpleasant surprise was my older phone didn’t support the Fly app needed for mini 2. So I got a iPad mini 5.)

Often windy here, but I liked drone flying, so got MA2. Very similar but larger (registration is not a big deal).

Decided to get the FM combo with MA2, as I hadn’t done so with mini 2 and missed spare batterie. As I already had RC and iPad mini that could work for MA2, I opted for package with SC rather than standard RC. Both setups are nice. The SC is easier: two computers talking rather than three.

SC screen is larger than most phones, but smaller than most tablets. No regrets having both tablet and RC. Phone wouldn’t work for my old eyes.

The only advantage is that the screen brightness does not get reduced in hot weather because it has got a cooling fan inside. The graphic processing power is on the weak side as can be seen in the screen recording below. My M2P + SC

I sold mine after using for 2 months.

Reactions: Mavikhan
I find after using my Samsung S9 & standard controller, that the SC seems just that bit better with regards to range, also less that can go wrong with inter connecting parts, the SC feels quality in the hands better battery, screen is much better than the smaller S9 I have been using, but only feel comfortable using the SC with DJI Go 4, I keep the std controller to use with a 10" tablet now for Litchi flights.

What advantage does the smart controller provide beyond being able to sync with more than one of your drones? I would assume it's quite pricey. Would you buy it again?
Simplicity of setup. I found a case where I can leave the control sticks on. I just pull out the SC, turn it on, and turn the drone on. I don't have to fuss with cell phone and cables. The bright screen is great too. I would definitely buy it again.

Reactions: Mavikhan
Simplicity of setup. I found a case where I can leave the control sticks on. I just pull out the SC, turn it on, and turn the drone on. I don't have to fuss with cell phone and cables. The bright screen is great too. I would definitely buy it again.
Which case did you get?

Which case did you get?

Tineer Waterproof Handheld Portable Storage Bag Carrying Case for DJI Smart Controller

51Q2MkzZzxL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Reactions: fullbore

Tineer Waterproof Handheld Portable Storage Bag Carrying Case for DJI Smart Controller

View attachment 120151

Thanks Natgild!

I really really want to like mine more, but I've been having some issues with my MA2. First, the range is nowhere near what the standard controller and my iPhone has. Also the aircraft direction indicator is of something like 120 degrees all the time. I tried recalibrating everything multiple times and even had the contoller replaced and I still have the same problem. Love the bright screen though!

What advantage does the smart controller provide beyond being able to sync with more than one of your drones? I would assume it's quite pricey. Would you buy it again?
Turn on your Drone. Turn on your SC and you are ready to fly! No fiddling around with phone install and settings or cables. Live in FL...no problems with bright sunlight. Yes, I would buy again.

I bought my Mavic 2 zoom + SC as a kit, so I saved a little there. I like the fact that I don't have to use my cell phone, and worry about battery life. And the screen is a little larger. The less links in the chain, the better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan