DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice for buying a used Mavic Pro 2

cbbr

Reactions
New guy here. I have had a Phantom Standard for a while, using it mostly as a toy rather than a tool. The camera on the Pro 2 has my attention and I believe it will make a cool addition to my camera gear for Senior Photos.

With very little knowledge regarding the Mavic 2 Pro, I wonder if you can give me some pointers. I have located a couple locally with 3 batteries & accessories for around $1400. And there are refurbs on eBay for under $1,300.

So what is a better buy and what should I be looking out for?

I personally have never bought a used drone, but these things pop right to mind:
  • Flight Hours. They should be able to give you a total number of hours flown. I'm not sure what a good number is, but if it is less than 50, that sounds low to me.
  • Swollen Batteries: some of the first-run batteries had a swelling problem. That meant that if it was bad enough, it would render them useless and you must throw them away (disposed of properly). Look for a good fit, both sides snapping positively.
    WORST CASE SCENARIO: a swollen battery could disengage while your craft is up in the sky and it could all come hurtling down to the ground.
  • Some folk have reported that their remotes no longer hold the same charge they did when new (so could not make it past, say, the 3rd aircraft battery). I'm not sure how to test for that.
Chris

Reactions: cbbr
as you are buying locally apart from what @Not A Speck Of Cereal said insist on a demo flight and check that all the features are working look for damage and if it has a skin on that looks brand new then it could be hiding stress cracks or scratches ask to have a go yourself and see how it responds to the controls if the seller is genuine then they should be accomodating
also ask if they have the original boxes the drone came in all these things increase your chances of not being ripped off

Take note of the posts above ⬆
I have bought an as new but used MP & M2P with fly more kits, all packaging was included but I did get a chance to test them out.
Got them both for the price of one new, I sold the MP to fund a Smart controller & extra battery for the M2P, got back what I paid for it :)

As long as it's a new drone it's ok to buy a used drone, which I have done 2 times before.
Make sure to check the battery recharge counts, controller responsiveness and the sensors on the drone are all functioning properly.

Reactions: cbbr and THE CYBORG
As long as it's a new drone it's ok to buy a used drone, which I have done 2 times before.
Make sure to check the battery recharge counts, controller responsiveness and the sensors on the drone are all functioning properly.

How do you check the battery recharge counts?

I intend to look at one tomorrow evening and have the current owner fly it. I have used the DJI Go App, but not the others. The seller tells me that he bought it, but never flew it (5 or so times). 3 OEM batteries, soft & hard cases, props and a set of filters for $1,400 in new condition.

Having bought and sold high end DSLRs/lenses for years I am aware that looks can be deceiving which is why I am asking these questions. Thanks.

The charge count is given in the battery section of the Go4 App.
BTW have you given the Zoom any thought?
The total charge count on the batteries does give an indication of the usage of the drone if they are the batteries that have been used with it.
You could also ask the seller if you can see the flight records for the drone in the "Me" section of the Go4 app's front page. Bear in mind that if the seller has flown multiple drones that use the Go4 app with the phone as the screen device then the seller would need to show you the record for the drone on sale.
It is also possible to, quite easily, get information from the actual flight logs but I don't know if you are interested in going that far or deep and the seller would need to be very cooperative.

Last edited by a moderator:
New guy here. I have had a Phantom Standard for a while, using it mostly as a toy rather than a tool. The camera on the Pro 2 has my attention and I believe it will make a cool addition to my camera gear for Senior Photos.

With very little knowledge regarding the Mavic 2 Pro, I wonder if you can give me some pointers. I have located a couple locally with 3 batteries & accessories for around $1400. And there are refurbs on eBay for under $1,300.

So what is a better buy and what should I be looking out for? If it’s possible by one that still has care refresh as for the batteries hi on a Mavic two pro and so far four of the batteries have swollen it seems that the average life on these batteries is about 70 cycles

The charge count is given in the battery section of the Go4 App.
BTW have you given the Zoom any thought?
The total charge count on the batteries does give an indication of the usage of the drone if they are the batteries that have been used with it.
You could also ask the seller if you can see the flight records for the drone in the "Me" section of the Go4 app's front page. Bear in mind that if the seller has flown multiple drones that use the Go4 app with the phone as the screen device then the seller would need to show you the record for the drone on sale.
It is also possible to, quite easily, get information from the actual flight logs but I don't know if you are interested in going that far or deep and the seller would need to be very cooperative.

Thanks. I looked at the Zoom, but the camera on the Pro 2 appears to be much better suited to my needs. Fortunately I have been shooting DSLRs for many years, so that was an easy call.

So what is a better buy and what should I be looking out for?
I'm also looking at the Mavic2Pro, as for me the extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars is worth a new one. No hidden problems.

Reactions: Jet skier
I'm also looking at the Mavic2Pro, as for me the extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars is worth a new one. No hidden problems.
I’ve had the machine now for about two years loved every minute and if distance is your thing they just added about a mile with the latest update

I’ve had the machine now for about two years loved every minute and if distance is your thing they just added about a mile with the latest update
Thanks for that, getting more tempted. I am having some trouble with my Air I have been flying for over a year and a half. It's the controller not the AC, but looking to upgrade.

So after reading everything that I can find, I ordered a refurbished M2P - cheaper with a full warranty and available Care Refresh. I should be flying by next week. Thanks for the advice All.

So after reading everything that I can find, I ordered a refurbished M2P - cheaper with a full warranty and available Care Refresh. I should be flying by next week. Thanks for the advice All.
New member here. Can I ask where you bought your refurb? I sold my Air and purchased a refurbed M2P and Smart Controller from DJI on July 26. After several lies from customer service (e.g. "it has shipped", "it will ship August 15"), I today received an update that the shipping has been delayed. Prior to that, I had emailed them asking for an update as it clearly hadn't shipped (no charge to my card). They replied saying due to COVID, it is delayed and they'll ship as soon as possible.
I'd really like to buy refurbished to save some money and still get the warranty (my photographer insurance covers damage, so I don't need the protection plan). This package (just over $1600) was really the only way I can afford the SC as this is pushing my comfort zone for a consumer electronic product expense already. LOL I've already purchased a FlyMore kit from Amazon so I don't need that. I'd love to know where you bought it refurbished that you'll have it so soon and if it includes a manufacturer warranty.
Thank you for listening and for any suggestions!

New member here. Can I ask where you bought your refurb? I sold my Air and purchased a refurbed M2P and Smart Controller from DJI on July 26. After several lies from customer service (e.g. "it has shipped", "it will ship August 15"), I today received an update that the shipping has been delayed. Prior to that, I had emailed them asking for an update as it clearly hadn't shipped (no charge to my card). They replied saying due to COVID, it is delayed and they'll ship as soon as possible.
I'd really like to buy refurbished to save some money and still get the warranty (my photographer insurance covers damage, so I don't need the protection plan). This package (just over $1600) was really the only way I can afford the SC as this is pushing my comfort zone for a consumer electronic product expense already. LOL I've already purchased a FlyMore kit from Amazon so I don't need that. I'd love to know where you bought it refurbished that you'll have it so soon and if it includes a manufacturer warranty.
Thank you for listening and for any suggestions!

Buy DJI™ Drones & Parts - Drone Store & DJI™ Authorized Dealer for Phantom, Matrice 100, Thermal Drones I received it in 3 days. They are apparently a DJI Official retailer for refurbs.

Reactions: LakeErieFlier
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair