DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice from Whale Photographers

Your F/16 table left my favorite from the Kodak sheets---"Open Shade"
Yep, I recall that. Here's the first page of one for Ektachrome that I just found on the web.

Camera settings were a lot more important when we were paying for film and processing. I remember shooting Kodacolor and thinking "one dollar" every time I pressed the shutter button. Ouch.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 133513.jpg

Cool.

What would be the downside to putting both shutter and aperture in AUTO, while fixing the ISO? Kind of like a film camera in full auto, but picking the film speed for the application and lighting...
Real photographers like to have some control rather than leaving everything to an algorithm.

Reactions: RobinM
You need to choose Aperture or Shutter Priority.
You don't leave both in auto.
can you tell i've never shot in either of those - only ever used manual :)

For stills, do the d-log video equivalent and capture RAW images, then color correct (and more) in post.

However, I'm mostly a video photographer, not stills. I'd defer to some of the stills experts here, @Meta4 among them.
Thanks. Without being obnoxious - i am a stills expert - just trying to translate over to video skills. a bit about me.

Cool.

What would be the downside to putting both shutter and aperture in AUTO, while fixing the ISO? Kind of like a film camera in full auto, but picking the film speed for the application and lighting...
A huge downside for me - i like to freeze my wildlife subjects and on the whale boats i've been shooting at 1/4000 second with some excellent results - i dont want to get a blurry or even soft whale from the drone. That's the basis of my questioning. untitled--4.jpg

Real photographers like to have some control rather than leaving everything to an algorithm.
correct. the only auto i like is auto iso but clearly i'm going to have to release that obsession whilst in the sky.

Yep, I recall that. Here's the first page of one for Ektachrome that I just found on the web.

Camera settings were a lot more important when we were paying for film and processing. I remember shooting Kodacolor and thinking "one dollar" every time I pressed the shutter button. Ouch.

View attachment 174839
Dont Hijack my whales! haha. i'm enjoying unravelling my inadequacies.

Thanks. Without being obnoxious - i am a stills expert - just trying to translate over to video skills. a bit about me.
Seeing as you are fairly accomplished in the photographic still world, I'm surprised that you could not figure out the appropriate drone settings for still images and video from your drone. You certainly won't get the type of images that your first class Sony A1 camera can achieve.

Seeing as you are fairly accomplished in the photographic still world, I'm surprised that you could not figure out the appropriate drone settings for still images and video from your drone. You certainly won't get the type of images that your first class Sony A1 camera can achieve.
Still images are not a problem - good quality video is - they are 2 different skill sets and no, not expecting to match the A1, just expecting to match other good videos of the same subject from the MP3.

Nothing obnoxious about asking questions. Also, nothing to be embarrassed about if you don't know.

You may get some answers that are unresponsive and fail to inform, however.

Because exposure conditions can change enormously very quickly while shooting video, some exposure automation is necessary in most circumstances to get usable footage. Especially a moving camera that can go from open sunlight to much darker shade.

It's a judgement call. If the shooting conditions allow it, try to used fixed ISO and shutter when you can. This produces the most uniform results. Good example of an scene like that is following a water skiier, or a boat – with the sun staying in the same place in the sky.

The exact opposite is following a mountain biker through woods and meadows. In the latter, I try to used the lowest fixed ISO that keeps shutter fast enough to avoid unwanted blurring, at the same time avoid blowing out highlights, which usually means underexposed a little (EV set to -0.3 to -1.0). Shoot in dlog, pull the detail in the shadows out in post.

The idea is to fix ISO to minimize noise in dark portions of the footage. Sometimes there's no way to properly expose the entire mission other than full auto. Example is flying from bright sun through an opening into an unlit, dark motif interior, like an old wooden barn through open barn doors. Shutter speed just goes to long and some increased ISO is necessary. Really good videographers can put ISO on the adjustment dial, and tune it through such transitions. Not me – I always forget, being too focused on the flying, usually 🙂

If you have a variable aperture, it gets a little more complicated, but the same principles apply. In that case, consider if depth of field matters in selecting which variables to fix, and which to let float.

Last edited:
Real photographers ... the people who know what they are doing and engage in the technical side of image acquisition, rather than letting the camera make decisions for them and hope the results will be OK.

So in answer to my question in post #18 is to simply be a Real Photographer when I shoot stills?

OK.

Still images are not a problem - good quality video is - they are 2 different skill sets and no, not expecting to match the A1, just expecting to match other good videos of the same subject from the MP3.
Out of curiosity, and I'm certain you have already tried, but have you shot video of the breeching whales from the A1 and experimented with the spot/matrix metering modes to see if it cuts out a lot of the over exposures.
I believe any of those referenced recorded settings you used would help estimate/determine the drone settings EV adjustments along with the aperture/speed requirements.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke