DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice Needed Please..

Crush4602

Reactions
Hi, I am an absolute beginner here. I am looking to slowly start an aerial photography business starting primarily with real estate and events. I've been playing raound with a cheap syma x5c just to get something under my fingers. My plan was to pick up the mavic mini for a while and then purchase a Mavic 2 pro zoom after I pass the part 107 exam and start building a portfolio and website rather quickly. I'm not in a huge hurry sa this would be a gradual career change. My question now though is should I even bother with the mini? Is it smart to learn and improve my flight and photography skills on it or should I just not invest 1/3 of the cost of the pro in a mini and just go straight for the pro2? Thank you for any insight.

My question now though is should I even bother with the mini?
In your case, I would say no. Flying an X5C gives you all the practice in "ATTI" mode that you will need. You will need to thoroughly read the manuals on both the mini and the M2P. There is a huge difference from the Syma in both cases.

Welcome!

In terms of familiarization with Drone Flying, we'd MUCH prefer to see you start with something a bit more sophisticated like the Mavic Air at the least.

The Mini pales in comparison to even the Air, which has many of the tools you'll need, and makes a very good starter Drone in your circumstances. You might even find it adequate to begin down that career path.

Mini just doesn't offer a lot.

FWIW: we fly a Mavic Air that is paired with an I-Pad 4 - the bigger screen makes things a LOT easier.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Reactions: jimlips
There's different opinions but personally went straight for the drone which did what I wanted which at the time was the Mavic 1 Pro. When I first started flying with it I took it to wide open spaces and practiced flying it, landing it and its various functions as well as reading through crash threads to get an idea of possible mistakes and how to avoid them.

Reactions: Paulf10
Putting the issue of what drone to buy aside, do you have a business plan? Have you done any market research? What is the demand for your services in the area and who is the competition?

I'd suggest getting the 107 before spending any additional money on a drone.

Flying the Syma X5C is much more challenging than flying a Mavic with GPS that helps stabilize the drone in flight. The challenge with the more expensive drones is learning all of the functions (flight and photographic) that enable you to get the best possible photographs and video.

Reactions: Paulf10
Putting the issue of what drone to buy aside, do you have a business plan? Have you done any market research? What is the demand for your services in the area and who is the competition?

I wonder how many people actually do any of that before they spend the time, effort, and money on getting the part 107 certificate or investing in a drone for commercial purposes.

Flying the Syma X5C is much more challenging than flying a Mavic with GPS that helps stabilize the drone in flight. The challenge with the more expensive drones is learning all of the functions (flight and photographic) that enable you to get the best possible photographs and video.
Yes I have a business plan together and have done research in the area. I currently own two businesses (restaurant and a bar) one of which has been operating for 11 years. This is why Im not in a hurry to get off the ground (pun intended) but its something I've wanted to do for a while now. I am also well connected in the community and in the arts so I feel I can get a lot of work simply through my networks of professionals. I'm also a musician and a talent buyer so there are a lot of festivals and large events that I help organize and sit on boards or committees for. I never see anyone utilizing aerial photography.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Yes I have a business plan together and have done research in the area. I currently own two businesses (restaurant and a bar) one of which has been operating for 11 years. This is why Im not in a hurry to get off the ground (pun intended) but its something I've wanted to do for a while now. I am also well connected in the community and in the arts so I feel I can get a lot of work simply through my networks of professionals. I'm also a musician and a talent buyer so there are a lot of festivals and large events that I help organize and sit on boards or committees for. I never see anyone utilizing aerial photography.

Wow, that's excellent and glad to hear. Unfortunately you run across a lot of people that too quick to go out a buy expensive equipment without the forethought you have taken. That being the case I'd say go for it and get the Mavic 2 Pro. Given your experience in running a business and connections you have a head start on the average individual looking to get into the business end of flying.

Hi, I am an absolute beginner here. I am looking to slowly start an aerial photography business starting primarily with real estate and events. I've been playing raound with a cheap syma x5c just to get something under my fingers. My plan was to pick up the mavic mini for a while and then purchase a Mavic 2 pro zoom after I pass the part 107 exam and start building a portfolio and website rather quickly. I'm not in a huge hurry sa this would be a gradual career change. My question now though is should I even bother with the mini? Is it smart to learn and improve my flight and photography skills on it or should I just not invest 1/3 of the cost of the pro in a mini and just go straight for the pro2? Thank you for any insight.
If you are comfortable with the Syma, I would go straight to the Mavic 2. It is much easier to handle so spend the additional time learning photography which is an art in itself and the Mavics functions.

Welcome. And a big kuddos to you for doing your homework and learning on the x5. Not a lot of folks do that. Look at all the Mini flyers reporting fly aways because of their lack of wind effect knowledge.

I agree with others. I see no benefit of stepping thru a Mini or Air. Besides the price of the system, the Air to the M2 Pro/Zoom will almost be identical minus a few features. But flying them will require the same skillset.

I bought an Air and have about 40 flights on it and then bought a Zoom. The Air hasn't been flown since simply because of the Zoom's better features- longer flight times and ability to handle the wind better being the 2 big ones (also longer control link). The flight time iincrease just let's me do more video sessions and also gives me time to make adjustments in the air without worrying about draining a battery. With the Air I might plan a shoot and go up and do that one recording then be at aa point to land and swap batteries. With the Zoom I find I can do that recording plus another one plus some still pics all without swapping a battery.

From a purely business perspective, the images coming from the mm are not as good as the bigger Mavics or Phantoms. The business trend is to full 4K video, which the mm cannot deliver.

Reactions: Crush4602
If you want to be a professional photographer/videographer go with the better camera. You already know the basics of flying.

Save the added expense of going through another intermediate drone and just get the Mavic 2, you will easily get to grips with it and then know exactly what to do, rather than have a third drone to go through all the learning curves if you don't get the Mavic 2 right now. Like driving, once you have learned to drive on a basic car but wish to one day do a bit of racing, you can just buy a Porsche and then use it gently and grow your driving skills slowly but gaining experience on that car, so that one day you will know it intimately. You can drive a Porsche to church and do grocery shopping and take it to the race track, once you know it well enough. So with the Mavic 2, it will do all that you ask of it, as your skills grow to match its ability.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snaeem