DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice needed

DANNY ROMAN

Reactions
I was planning to go out today with my new minin3 pro. I walked along a bridlewsy/ public footpath... checked drone assist and all good to fly. The farmer approached me and asked what I was doing? I fully explained and he said its private land you shouldn't be taking off here... and told me to leave politely. I said well it's a public footpath... he it's a private. ? ? ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

The path might be a right of way but I think I recollect that that merely gives you the right to walk across the land that constitutes footpath and that it does not give you the right to use the land for other purposes.
If it were otherwise NT's prohibitions would probably be pointless as I'd bet their footpathes are rights of way.

...I said well it's a public footpath... he it's a private. ? ? ?
No one here will be able to clearly state which one of you is correct... but if it's private land the landowner can prohibit you from taking off, land & operate your drone from there even though there aren't any flight restrictions (you can fly over the private footpath... CAA rules over the airspace)

I was planning to go out today with my new minin3 pro. I walked along a bridlewsy/ public footpath... checked drone assist and all good to fly. The farmer approached me and asked what I was doing? I fully explained and he said its private land you shouldn't be taking off here... and told me to leave politely. I said well it's a public footpath... he it's a private. ? ? ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Footpaths that appear on the Definitive Map (compiled and held by your local borough/county council) define PROW's (permanent Public Rights Of Way - usually marked on the def. map with the letter 'M' followed by a number). These are the registered permanent footpaths. There is another kind of PROW: these are permissioned access footpaths.

Different rules apply to PROW's that cross privately owned land (referred to as 'permissioned access') and the landowner keeps these open as public footpaths out of tradition or goodwill.

They are within their rights to alter the course of the permissioned access footpath, or even stop it up temporarily as long as they provide an alternative path across that piece of land, but as the landowner: they can dictate what happens on their land.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrubson