DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice on Strobe Lights

Ron Caballero CAP

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Verde Valley, AZ and Hampshire County, WV
I purchased a very nice set of strobe lights, red, green and white. I had no problem placing the red and green. They are on opposite sides of the main body so that the lights cannot be easily seen from the other side nor the rear. My problem is placing the white one. It has been suggested, and my son is doing, to place it on the back of the battery. Separate Velcro pads for each battery. As an old boater, I hate to put white light on top. For a boat, a white lite that can be seen from all direction indicates the boat is at anchor.
I want the white light to be seen from the rear only to help me in determining the direction the bird is flying.
My problem is that there is no place to attach it on the rear that will not, seemingly, interfere with the rear sensors. I had thought to file down the lump in the middle to help it be more in the middle. The other option appears to be to attach it to one of the rear legs near the body. There, however, the white light cannot be easily seen from the other20200702_091448.jpg20200702_222932.jpg side at the rear.
I welcome all suggestions.

Depending on which light you purchased, you may find an appropriate mount from our fellow forum member: Aerial-Pixel - Vinyl Graphics, Apparel, 3D Printing
Thanks for your response. Before I realized the strobes came with Velcro fasteners, I purchased this set of mounting brackets. Whether or not I use Velcro or one of the brackets to attach the white light to one of the rear legs that is one option that I mentioned. However, it does NOT answer my question. Or, is that your suggestion? 20200629_223710.jpg What I am really looking for are suggestions as to where to place the light. Are there any others?

Reactions: pelagic_one
I have a firehouse arc light attached to the rear of my drone, just beneath the top sensor. The rear sensors still perform flawlessly. It is attached with the supplied 3m tape.

What I am really looking for are suggestions as to where to place the light. Are there any others?
I was merely responding to your intended mounting position: “I want the white light to be seen from the rear only to help me in determining the direction the bird is flying.” I agree with you, if you’re looking to have the light assist in VLOS.

In nautical terms, you did not want an anchor light, but want a stern light. So those MA2 rear leg mounts should work just fine.

Mine is attached on my Platinum on the back (stern) just above the LED. I use velcro to do it. The front ones are attached with a mount on the two front arms. All works admirably with no interferences.

I have a white strobe on the bottom which is useful at higher altitudes and one on the rear landing gear (pointing straight back) which shows up well when low to the ground. At distance I can tell between the bottom and back strobes. I also have red/green on the sides. The red and green strobes are nice at dusk/dawn or night but generally wash out in brighter sunlight.

I have a firehouse arc light attached to the rear of my drone, just beneath the top sensor. The rear sensors still perform flawlessly. It is attached with the supplied 3m tape.
How about a photo?

Here you go...the full compliment of lights. Lights on both front legs, on top, and one in the rear. 20200704_154047.jpg20200704_154153.jpg20200704_154120.jpg

Firehouse 2 standard red green front legs as near to motors. rear 2 white inboard on legs as near to main fuselage.Then front strobes on slow flash or even permanently on. Rear strobes on fast strobe..works a treat

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys