DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice on timelapse editing

Andrex

Reactions
Looking for some advice on how best to improve the edit on this timelapse:

Issues are a little jerkiness and flicker.

I have 600+ DNG files for each frame.

Current workflow is to align images in PTGui Pro and export individual cropped frames.

Then... I have made into a video, producing the above 'beta' result.

Thoughts and feedback please?

Reactions: Rchawks
600 DNG files per frame? Of the finished animation?

Flicker is difficult to remove, although I believe there is software devoted to exactly that. I'd search Google for "de-flicker time lapse"

If you have Resolve, I'll bet you'd be amazed at how much "Stabilize" would improve what we see here. Premiere has a similar function called "Warp Stabilize"

That is an amazing piece of video. Looks like you shot for months. How'd you get the drone back to the precise spot in space each shoot? Waypoint?

639 DNG files in total, so at 24 frames per second it's giving me 26.6 seconds of footage. At one shot per day, a second is around a month.

I don't have resolve, but I do have Adobe Creative Cloud. I had forgotten about Warp Stabiliser - I'll give that a go, thanks.

The whole project was indeed conducted with waypoints. So in this case, the Mavic 2 Pro still beats Mavic 3 hands down. I pretty much sacrificed a battery to get all the footage though, as it was a lot of flights. Probably will never do such a long drone-based timelapse ever again...

I'll come back here with an updated edit.

Reactions: Lister
Looking for some advice on how best to improve the edit on this timelapse:

Issues are a little jerkiness and flicker.

I have 600+ DNG files for each frame.

Current workflow is to align images in PTGui Pro and export individual cropped frames.

Then... I have made into a video, producing the above 'beta' result.

Thoughts and feedback please?
This was an un-usable clip. I am not familiar with your software and workflow but if you really want to learn how to do great timelapse’s you must learn LRTimelapse. The trial is free. www.lrtimelapse.com. Gunther Wegner is a brilliant German man who developed this amazing software which is the standard in the industry.

Go to the home page and watch the tutorials! You can download it for free. The learning curve is not really so bad. I'd be happy to answer any questions on a private conversation. I am addicted to timelapse- it is my passion second only to flying drones.

Watch the numerous timelapses in this video created with LRTimelapse.

Dale

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CvCow
LRTimelapse has a specific long term timelapse option thats specifically designed for this type of timelapse.

This was an un-usable clip. I am not familiar with your software and workflow but if you really want to learn how to do great timelapse’s you must learn LRTimelapse. The trial is free. www.lrtimelapse.com. Gunther Wegner is a brilliant German man who developed this amazing software which is the standard in the industry.

Go to the home page and watch the tutorials! You can download it for free. The learning curve is not really so bad. I'd be happy to answer any questions on a private conversation. I am addicted to timelapse- it is my passion second only to flying drones.

Watch the numerous timelapses in this video created with LRTimelapse.

Dale
Cymru

If you are in the UK, you are 5 or 6 hours ahead of me and it is now my bedtime at almost 10PM here or 5 AM there.

"LRTimelapse has a specific long term timelapse option thats specifically designed for this type of timelapse".

Just got this comment but I am not sure what you are saying. Most all of my timelapse sequences are designed to give me at least 5 to 6 seconds of video, but I usually set it for a minimum of a 10 second video for those cases I can adjust in post production.

As you know, every second of show is at least 24 frames per second. So I will set up for a 250 exposure sequence (150 divided by 24 gives me about 6 seconds of video). Of course for longer events (sunrise, sunset, Milky Way) there could be upwards of 900 or more frames (divide by 24 fps for video show).

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61